EV I might buy goes into production.

Toyota and Hyundai are putting solar panels on some of theirs.....Maybe I'll check them out at least half my yearly miles for free aint bad.

I am by no means anywhere close to an expert or even mostly educated on this topic, but my sometimes resident engineer has looked into it, done the math, and estimated the amount of electricity stored and utilized by a solar panel that would fit on a passenger car. He says given the amount of energy lost in the gathering and storing and that very little of the day allows for optimum solar energy collection, a Tesla size passenger car battery would require about 200 hours or more than 8 days to fully charge.

Of all energy sources, solar energy might be the least reliable given vagaries of the weather and that solar energy is not constant during the daylight hours and doesn't exist once the sun goes down.

Which is why there are no solar powered cars on the market.

I am by no means anywhere close to an expert or even mostly educated on this topic, but my sometimes resident engineer has looked into it, done the math, and estimated the amount of electricity stored and utilized by a solar panel that would fit on a passenger car. He says given the amount of energy lost in the gathering and storing and that very little of the day allows for optimum solar energy collection, a Tesla size passenger car battery would require about 200 hours or more than 8 days to fully charge.

Of all energy sources, solar energy might be the least reliable given vagaries of the weather and that solar energy is not constant during the daylight hours and doesn't exist once the sun goes down.

Which is why there are no solar powered cars on the market.
Toyota and hyundai have them.....will the avg person still have to charge ..no doubt,,,, Total mileage I put on in a week is about 20. Car sits in the sun all day.

I don't have a problem with an EV conceptually.

However I won't be buying one until the car manufacturers get their act together and design the battery packs to be modular and swappable. Watch a video about a California company that could service battery packs in about 10 minutes. The batteries were scalled in a detachable frame mounted under the car. The whole pageage could be dropped out, a new/charged one moved into place, lifted up and bolted in.

Conformal batters that cost 10's of thousands of dollars to replace isn't going to hack it.

WW
My suspicion is that batteries of all types require elements which are relatively “rare,” require much pollution to extract and refine and which lead to disposal problems which are also environmentally unfriendly (more a pollution problem than a “climate” issue).

I wonder if those technological problems can someday be remedied?

Dont read do ya......Toyota and Hyundai have solar panels on some with rated reharge rates ...dumbass
Dont read do ya......Toyota and Hyundai have solar panels on some with rated reharge rates ...dumbass
Loser says what...

Frustrations....laughing at your self righteousness and your meltdown
???? Self righteousness? I pointed out that taxpayer dollars have been stolen the same way for years. You apparently don't care if crooks steal your tax $$$. Meltdown? ROFLMAO, you are the one melting down because someone used logic and rained on your misguided parade. I don't expect much more from you Mnpls based morons--we've seen your incompetence since 2020. BTW, before you get your nuts twisted up in your panties, you might try reading my initial post #5. Run along little girl.

Toyota and Hyundai are putting solar panels on some of theirs.....Maybe I'll check them out at least half my yearly miles for free aint bad.

No, they are not. Read past the hype and see the reality.

Toyota also plans to equip the bZ4X with some nifty extra features. One of those is a solar roof the automaker says will generate about 1120 miles worth of free power generation.

Expected to be released in 2025.

And notice how nonsensical that PR claim is. 1,200 miles of free power generation? Over what time period? Per day? Per month? Per year? Per the lifespan of the vehicle?

However, I notice the range of the vehicle is nothing special, so it obviously does nothing to extend the range between charges.

This is the reality, don't believe PR hype.

Toyota and hyundai have them.....will the avg person still have to charge ..no doubt,,,, Total mileage I put on in a week is about 20. Car sits in the sun all day.

And the price of one of them is more than anyone other than the super rich can likely pay. There will be people with the money who will buy them for show pieces. But, with current technology, there is no way enough will ever be in demand sufficient for anyone to profit.

But how many drivers do you think there are who only put 20 miles a week on their car? Or never need to drive it any further than that?

Last edited:
Loser says what...
You seem to be the loser and you've said enough. First of all, your first link, Toyota, says in the headline that it is a CONCEPT car, do you know what a concept car is? Obviously not. Your second attempt at remaining relevant wouldn't do you much good seeing as the sun only shines 60% of the time in your area. LMAO. Loser.

And yet again, reading comprehension is in order. From one of the references from the bing you threw up.

That feature is a solar panel roof option. Unfortunately, it's not available as standard, and right now we don't know how much this optional extra will set you back, but the solar panels cover most of the top of the car.

You won't be able to rely on the sun to fully recharge the 58 kWh standard range or 72.6 kWh long-range battery inside the Ioniq 5, with it acting as a complimentary charging source which can help extend range.

Hyundai says that the solar panels can add up to 2,000km per year (around 5-6km per day) of additional range if it's driven in sunny environments such as Spain or the south of France.

The charging speed is just 3.6kW, so it's going to top up another car very slowly. But it may well come in useful in places where destination chargers aren't as easy to come by – assuming the Ioniq 5 has enough charge left to get itself to a plug.

By their specs, it will take about 20 hours of good sunlight (about 2 days most of the year) to recharge the batteries. That means you can drive about 250 miles, then you park it for 2 days so you can build up enough to drive home (maybe).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back