Euthenasia at the requet of a patient?

The hypothetical in the OP is not Euthanasia. It is Assisted Suicide. There is a difference between the two.

IMHO a person who is suffering from a terminal disease should be able to request assistance in the ending of their suffering.

Euthanasia is where someone else, such as a doctor, the government or the family, decides for the patient that they will put him/her out of his/her misery. I do not believe that should be legal.

Immie

The hypothetical in the OP is not Euthanasia. It is Assisted Suicide. There is a difference between the two.

IMHO a person who is suffering from a terminal disease should be able to request assistance in the ending of their suffering.

Euthanasia is where someone else, such as a doctor, the government or the family, decides for the patient that they will put him/her out of his/her misery. I do not believe that should be legal.

Immie

Try the little experiment I posted near the beginning then come back and tell us your position on that again. ;)

Legal Medical assisted suicide for the dying and in pain ought to be the law of the land.

Talk about an invasion of someone personal rights?

What is more invasive than forcing somebody to suffer a painful death because the GOVERNMENT decided you don't have the right to end that pain?

Note that the majority of people here who will object to this are also the people who claim that they love FREEDOM and hate government?

Except in this case, of course.

what is stopping them from taking a bottle of aspirin or Valium on their own?

Legal Medical assisted suicide for the dying and in pain ought to be the law of the land.

Talk about an invasion of someone personal rights?

What is more invasive than forcing somebody to suffer a painful death because the GOVERNMENT decided you don't have the right to end that pain?

Note that the majority of people here who will object to this are also the people who claim that they love FREEDOM and hate government?

Except in this case, of course.

what is stopping them from taking a bottle of aspirin or Valium on their own?

You've never attempted suicide, have you?

Even if that posed enough to kill you outright, they will keep you on respirators until there is no brain activity.

Those against abortion argue that a fetus is a human being with a right to live. Those in favor of abortion argue that a fetus does not yet have the right to life that all human beings possess.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...tion-of-life-vs-protection-of-the-person.html

Those against the death penalty argue that a person, no matter what crime they've committed, retains his or her right to life. Those in favor of the death penalty argue that committing murder constitutes a forfeiture of one's right to life.

I find it interesting that there are many who will argue both against abortion and for the death penalty. Their reasoning is usually that those sentenced to death forfeited their right to life when they committed murder. But my question is this: what gives them the right to decide what constitutes a forfeiture of one's right to live? Should anyone be able to decide this? And if so, whom?

Your confusion seems to arise from an illogical assumption of the existence of 'natural rights'

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/80925-demonstrating-natural-rights.html

Mutual protection of life is a positive right arising from social contract. Any party acting against the group or its members is excluded from that protection and may face the collective defense or retribution of the collective.

no one: Everyone has a right to life

Demonstrate the existence of such a 'natural right' and that it applies only to humans and not to other animals or plantlife

That's because you are obviously young and still ignorant....

You've been owned and you're lashing out.

Can we not have this turn into a flame war? This is a very serious matter

Granted. Poor word choice on my part. I seem to have used the wrong terminology

assisted suicide is still still suicide, btw.

ya, so what? I don't follow the Christian Book of Fools.

How many teachers have offed themselves in front of a class? Please try to make some sense in a realistic way.

How much does it cost for a doctor to shoot a patient with a cocktail of drugs on a yearly basis? More than the cost of bullets for 1 day in Irak? Probably not. Because doctor assisted suicice/euthanasia is done every day here in the US. Like when the doctor give so much pain killing medicine that it kills the patient. It's happening already, so wake up. And it's pretty inexpensive.

I find it hilarious that people would think that the government will take control of the system to order people to be euthanized. What color is the sky in your world? You just prove that you're out of rational arguments.

That's because you are obviously young and still ignorant....

WHO GIVES A HOOT, ABOUT THE MONEY it costs to keep people that are sick, alive? YOU DO....and you are the gvt so it is NOT as far fetched as you seem to naively think....

care

Actually, the only people that benefit keeping them alive are the doctors, big pharm, and medical equipment manufacturers. No one else benefits, unless the "loved ones" are truly selfish and just can't let go.

keeping them alive artificially is not the same thing as assisted suicide....

anyone should be able to say, i want no more medical help or artificial life support, or the opposite....i want you to do all that you can to keep me alive....this is what living wills are for, and the measure the republicans wrongly imo, fought so hard to eliminate in the health reform bill...

for YOU or the gvt to decide such for me is unethical and bordering on euthanasia.....you have no right to dictate such, for others....is how i see artificial medical support.

care

Immie

Try the little experiment I posted near the beginning then come back and tell us your position on that again. ;)

What experiment is that?

I went back and read the thread again and don't see anything even remotely looking like an experiment. By your comback, I would assume you disagree with me. In what way?

Immie

Immie

What experiment is that?

I went back and read the thread again and don't see anything even remotely looking like an experiment. By your comback, I would assume you disagree with me. In what way?

Immie

My error, I don't know where I posted it. :redface: Thought it was this thread.

Try laying in your bed, only eating plain tofu (no seasons, sauces, flavorings) and drinking plain water. You cannot do anything other than lay there (besides eat the tofu and water). Everything else must be done by someone else, you will need diapers. You can turn on the TV or radio but it must be to a random station that you don't normally listen to or watch. 7 days at least. If you make it a whole month and still have that position then I will concede. However, imagine forcing someone to live like that for years, maybe even decades, would you force them into such a nightmare?

What experiment is that?

Immie

Try laying in your bed, only eating plain tofu (no seasons, sauces, flavorings) and drinking plain water. You cannot do anything other than lay there (besides eat the tofu and water). Everything else must be done by someone else, you will need diapers. You can turn on the TV or radio but it must be to a random station that you don't normally listen to or watch. 7 days at least. If you make it a whole month and still have that position then I will concede. However, imagine forcing someone to live like that for years, maybe even decades, would you force them into such a nightmare?

Plain tofu? Just kill me now! ;)

But, did you read my first post? It does not seem that you did because, I stated that I believe that someone should have the right to request that a doctor assist them in ending their suffering. What I don't believe should be legal is for the doctor or anyone else to make that decision for them.

That being said, I would not be opposed to having a living will that states that should I end up in such a state I would like to have my suffering ended.

Immie

What experiment is that?

Immie

But, did you read my first post? It does not seem that you did because, I stated that I believe that someone should have the right to request that a doctor assist them in ending their suffering. What I don't believe should be legal is for the doctor or anyone else to make that decision for them.

That being said, I would not be opposed to having a living will that states that should I end up in such a state I would like to have my suffering ended.

Immie
Just curious, since you do know the Bible so well:
where in the Bible, the Lazarus parable in particular, did Christ tell them that Lazarus should just off himself now, since he was dying, instead of doing all they humanly could to make him better or save his life immie?

or, can you direct me to the passages that support your stance, pretty please?

care

Immie
Just curious, since you do know the Bible so well:
where in the Bible, the Lazarus parable in particular, did Christ tell them that Lazarus should just off himself now, since he was dying, instead of doing all they humanly could to make him better or save his life immie?

or, can you direct me to the passages that support your stance, pretty please?

care

Good question, but...

I can't. I don't know that the Bible discusses the subject in particular just as it does not discuss abortion. No where to my knowledge does the Bible discuss these kinds of situations. That does not, however, forbid us from discussion on the topic. What would God have us do? I'm not certain I know the answer on that. Would he have us fight for every last breath or would he have us allow life to end? I do not believe God would allow us to take someone else's life due to our own selfishness... which is what Euthanasia works out to being, but would he allow us to end our own suffering?

If someone is dying and decides not to fight on, is that a sin?

You must remember that in Biblical times they did not have the modern medical technology that we have today. Yes, I'm Captain Obvious! It is now possible to keep a person alive beyond the time when their own body would naturally shut down.

The death and resurrection of Lazurus was accomplished for a purpose. That purpose was to glorify God.

Immie

Forum List

Back