Euthanizing dogs and mom

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
So, today in The Coffee Shop, the subject of euthanizing pets came up. I pretty much left the subject alone, but then BBD made a post I wanted to discuss. The Coffee Shop wasn't the proper venue.

This is BBD's post,
I see there's been lots of discussion about dogs in declining health today. Serious, emotional issue for lots of people. I know because I had a large kennel and bred beagles for nearly 19 years. There isn't any "textbook" answer about when you should put a dog down. It's strictly a personal issue. What might seem like the right answer for you might not be the right acceptable answer for another person. It's an issue that should be discussed with your vet, your other family members, and if appropriate, your God. When the time for a decision to be made is right, it will be apparent to you. People love their pets just as though they are regular members of your family - which they are. Your pet (dog or cat) loves you as much as you love them. They are just as aware as you are that something has changed in their lives. Be patient. There is always time to make a well-thought out decision. Don't rush into anything you might regret later.
He makes some wise and valid points in that post.
However, I want to ask some questions about this part,
When the time for a decision to be made is right, it will be apparent to you. People love their pets just as though they are regular members of your family - which they are.
I think people actually hold a different standard between pets and humans when it comes time to make the decision to euthanize.
Have you ever heard anybody say, "We had to put mom down. It was for the best because she was suffering"? I think it's much easier for people to make a statement like that about a pet than to make it about a blood family member. In fact, I've heard it often when it concerns pets, but never about mom. dad, grandma, grandpa or a child.
I know lots of people that have asked/told a veterinarian to make the lethal injection for a pet but none that asked a doctor to make the lethal injection for a family member (human).
The thing is, you can make that request for an animal (that you love and cherish) but you cannot make the same request for a family member (human) that you love and cherish. People have been imprisoned for euthanizing a family member they love. People have been imprisoned for taking that kind of action on behalf of another person.

Personally, I hold human life in higher regard than I hold an animals life. In my life I've made the decision to euthanize a loved pet. I've also been involved in the decision to end a human's life, but that involved "pulling the plug", not a lethal injection to end their suffering and pain. We had to wait for the person to die after we made that decision.

I see a double standard. We are compassionate people that want to end the suffering of a loved pet, so we do take the step of actively ending that life when it is filled with pain and suffering, but how many could do the same if it was mom? Even if mom wanted you to? The pet didn't ask you to, but you can still do it, as painful for yourself as it is.

I was guessing that was your objection. I have put down one of my own cats and it was very hard to do. My mom has me as her personal representative after my father. She has a no heroic measures document she wishes to be used for the proper situation. She picked me because she feels I can follow her wishes. It is a legal document and is accepted by society. As a Lutheran, it would be acceptable to allow her death without me being considered a murderer. I do still question if it might be considered suicide, but that is not my call.

Having recently gone through the process of "pulling the plug" when my brother suffered a stroke, I know how difficult such a decision is. It helped knowing what his wishes were, and that most of my brothers and sisters were gathered to discuss how we felt about it. After consulting the attending physician for my brother's prognosis, we decided to let him go. Hard as hell, but we all felt better after the decision was made and carried out.
Was it different than putting down a beloved pet? Yes.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Showing compassion for our pets is humane, showing it to other people is human.

So, today in The Coffee Shop, the subject of euthanizing pets came up. I pretty much left the subject alone, but then BBD made a post I wanted to discuss. The Coffee Shop wasn't the proper venue.

This is BBD's post,
I see there's been lots of discussion about dogs in declining health today. Serious, emotional issue for lots of people. I know because I had a large kennel and bred beagles for nearly 19 years. There isn't any "textbook" answer about when you should put a dog down. It's strictly a personal issue. What might seem like the right answer for you might not be the right acceptable answer for another person. It's an issue that should be discussed with your vet, your other family members, and if appropriate, your God. When the time for a decision to be made is right, it will be apparent to you. People love their pets just as though they are regular members of your family - which they are. Your pet (dog or cat) loves you as much as you love them. They are just as aware as you are that something has changed in their lives. Be patient. There is always time to make a well-thought out decision. Don't rush into anything you might regret later.
When the time for a decision to be made is right, it will be apparent to you. People love their pets just as though they are regular members of your family - which they are.
I think people actually hold a different standard between pets and humans when it comes time to make the decision to euthanize.
Have you ever heard anybody say, "We had to put mom down. It was for the best because she was suffering"? I think it's much easier for people to make a statement like that about a pet than to make it about a blood family member. In fact, I've heard it often when it concerns pets, but never about mom. dad, grandma, grandpa or a child.
I know lots of people that have asked/told a veterinarian to make the lethal injection for a pet but none that asked a doctor to make the lethal injection for a family member (human).
The thing is, you can make that request for an animal (that you love and cherish) but you cannot make the same request for a family member (human) that you love and cherish. People have been imprisoned for euthanizing a family member they love. People have been imprisoned for taking that kind of action on behalf of another person.

Personally, I hold human life in higher regard than I hold an animals life. In my life I've made the decision to euthanize a loved pet. I've also been involved in the decision to end a human's life, but that involved "pulling the plug", not a lethal injection to end their suffering and pain. We had to wait for the person to die after we made that decision.

I see a double standard. We are compassionate people that want to end the suffering of a loved pet, so we do take the step of actively ending that life when it is filled with pain and suffering, but how many could do the same if it was mom? Even if mom wanted you to? The pet didn't ask you to, but you can still do it, as painful for yourself as it is.

In my opinion, we treat humans far less humanly then we do our pets.

It's a tough distinction to define. On the one hand, it may seem we are more concerned with ending the suffering of pets than people. On the other hand, however well loved a pet may be, they are still not a person. I think most people would put animals lower than humans as far as concern for their lives goes. Another important point is that people are able to think about and understand their circumstances far more completely than a pet, and communicate their needs much more easily as well. Perhaps, if our pet were able to say, "No, I don't want to be put down!" our feelings about it would be different.

It seems like a double standard on it's face, but I think the issue is more complex than that and, in fact, it may not be a double standard at all. The circumstances are simply different enough that different decisions are made.

This is BBD's post,

Yep fer sure. There was much more outrage over the poison pet food from China than over the deadly Heparin from China that killed humans.

Undisputed fact!

It's a tough distinction to define. On the one hand, it may seem we are more concerned with ending the suffering of pets than people. On the other hand, however well loved a pet may be, they are still not a person. I think most people would put animals lower than humans as far as concern for their lives goes. Another important point is that people are able to think about and understand their circumstances far more completely than a pet, and communicate their needs much more easily as well. Perhaps, if our pet were able to say, "No, I don't want to be put down!" our feelings about it would be different.

It seems like a double standard on it's face, but I think the issue is more complex than that and, in fact, it may not be a double standard at all. The circumstances are simply different enough that different decisions are made.

I'm not so sure pets can't tell us that. I had a siamese cat for many years. One day, I noticed a lump in front of his ear. I took him to the vet, who excised the lump and sent it for analysis. Turned out, it was a very aggressive cancer, one that came back even before the stitches healed. By that time, I was feeding him baby food (lamb and rice) with a spoon. I decided to spare him a lot of pain and suffering. I could not believe how hard he fought! He wasn't ready to go. And yet, another cat I had to take in was so weak and tired, it seemed she stopped breathing before the needle was inserted. She just relaxed and closed her eyes. She was ready.

I'm not so sure pets can't tell us that. I had a siamese cat for many years. One day, I noticed a lump in front of his ear. I took him to the vet, who excised the lump and sent it for analysis. Turned out, it was a very aggressive cancer, one that came back even before the stitches healed. By that time, I was feeding him baby food (lamb and rice) with a spoon. I decided to spare him a lot of pain and suffering. I could not believe how hard he fought! He wasn't ready to go. And yet, another cat I had to take in was so weak and tired, it seemed she stopped breathing before the needle was inserted. She just relaxed and closed her eyes. She was ready.

People are the same way some will hang on to every second of life no matter how poor quality and filled with suffering it may be while others will say it is not worth it.
Me I have my vial of morphine and needle ready for when the time comes.
the vultures will not get my last dime keeping my suffering body technically alive.

Last edited:

People are the same way some will hang on to every second of life no matter how poor quality and filled with suffering it may be while others will say it is not worth it.

I know what you mean. My Dad was a clinger. Even after he had wasted for years and was wheel chair bound, my brother had to care for him, he hung in there. I guess the old ticker finally gave up.
I have the same instructions in place that my brother did, a DNR order and a living will with specifics, and directions for organ donation after I am gone.

I know what you mean. My Dad was a clinger. Even after he had wasted for years and was wheel chair bound, my brother had to care for him, he hung in there. I guess the old ticker finally gave up.
I have the same instructions in place that my brother did, a DNR order and a living will with specifics, and directions for organ donation after I am gone.

I also have a DNR but my organs are too contaminated to give to anyone else.

This is BBD's post,

Time are changing......for the better.
Dutch mobile euthanasia units to make house calls | World news | The Guardian

This is BBD's post,

I think we should be able to do it if Mom tells us that is what she wants. She needs to be of sound mind, in pain, and terminal. She must meet all three requirements and her diagnosis should be confirmed by multiple doctors. We keep people alive for no real reason other than to extend their misery. I realize that in allowing this, we would need to be very careful. Those who are against this are so either because of religious convictions or the fear that the process could be abused, and we could end up murdering Mom for alternate reasons. The last item is the one that also worries me, but I believe enough safeguards could be put in place to prevent such a thing from happening.

There is lots of money in keeping people alive.
the majority of Medicare money is spent in the last 6 months or so of life.

If we let people die sooner your medical costs would rise.

This is BBD's post,

The problem, as I see it, is that with humans, there is often money involved. Killing Grandma because keeping her alive would drain the inheritance pot is always a concern.

Forum List

Back