Euthanasia

Should Euthanasia be lawful?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wry does not face the real possibility that "others" may someday terminate her life for other reasons than capital punishment for crimes.

Should euthanasia be used by the state to terminate people so that they are not competing for resources?

So you propose we eliminate the entire populations of Uganda, Ethiopia, and Darfur?

Hitler's argument was that killing off populations was okay because it guaranteed more resources for his fave group of people, too.

Funny, the parallel..don't you think?

Last edited:
You make a lot of sense, Katz, but understand that supposedly you are on the 'slippery slope' that Wry is worried about.

If someone can given consent to having a appendix removed, then why isn't it just as acceptable to decide to end their lives?

The worry over euthanasia isn't so much individuals making individual decisions for themselves, its others making decisions for them and manipulating people who may not want to be killed into being killed. Involuntary euthanasia is already an issue in the Netherlands.

Banker Chooses Life Despite Winning Right to Die; Grace Sung Eun Lee won ruling over her devout parents...
:eusa_eh:
Grace Sung Eun Lee says she wants to remain on ventilator
Oct 7, 2012 - Terminally ill woman who fought with her parents over right to die now indicates she wants to live
She wants to live. Grace Sung Eun Lee, the terminally ill woman who has been locked in a legal battle with her parents over her right to die, has apparently had a change of heart. Asked point-blank by her lawyer Saturday if she wanted to remain on a ventilator, Lee replied, “Yes.” Asked if she expected that to change, Lee replied, “No,” her lawyer said. “Does that mean that you expect your decision to be to remain on a ventilator until you die,” Lee’s attorney David Smith asked her. “Yes,” Lee responded.

The exchange marked the first time the 28-year-old Lee, who has an inoperable brain tumor, has explicitly told her lawyer that she wants to keep fighting. Since landing at Long Island’s North Shore Hospital last month, Lee had made it clear to her doctors, her lawyer and the Daily News that she wanted to disconnect her tubes. Lee’s devout parents, who believe she’ll go to hell if she hastens her death, rushed to court to stop her. But their legal efforts have failed.

A Long Island judge ruled two weeks ago that she was competent to make her own decision. After Lee’s parents’ appealed, a state appellate court on Friday upheld her right to choose life or death. Lee, after hearing the news, told her lawyer Friday that she needed time to make a decision. A day later, she signaled that she wanted to continue her battle. “She’s planning to remain on (the ventilator),” her lawyer said. Lee’s brother said the family was not surprised. “She told us she wanted to live,” said Paul Lee, 30. “The truth is told.”

But Lee, who was training for the New York City Marathon when she was diagnosed with brain cancer, likely doesn’t have much time left. Last month, doctors estimated she would live between two weeks and two months. And her lawyer said that whatever strength she has left is rapidly slipping away. “I’m not a doctor, but my own observation is that she looks substantially weaker than she was a week ago,” Smith said. “She’s very, very weak.”

Read more: Grace Sung Eun Lee says she wants to remain on ventilator - NY Daily News

Wry continues to wiggle away quietly, not wanting to face his inconsistencey and slippery slope argument.

Wry Catcher implicitly admits that my comment was not a slippery slope argument, the implicitness revealing his weakness of character when caught out and unable to explicitly say he got it wrong.

Whether you believe in my assertion is immaterial. I have no doubt that the issue will be the towering moral dilemma of the forties on.

Wry, that is why you are fail.

I made no slippery slope argument, one leading from the other. I am for individual determined euthanasia. I have no quarrel with it.

My statement was that 25 years or so from now third-person determined euthanasia will be the cultural issue as abortion has been these last almost forty years.

You need to read much more carefully before flapping your lips.

So your argument is logical do to ... precognition? You have seen the conclusion before it happened. Well, no wonder I thought your argument was of the slippery slope variety, I was unaware of your abilities. Mea culpa.

Forum List

Back