Euthanasia

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Wry Catcher, Jul 11, 2012.

?

Should Euthanasia be lawful?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2012.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Should a person have the right, and should the medical profession have the legal authority to end a persons life under terms which the patient delineated in his Will/Trust?

Why?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Maybe not. What someone says when they are in the best of health may not be the same thing when they are actually faced with the decision.

I had that very issue with my best friend. For years she said she would not want to live if she were so sick as to no longer be able to take care of herself. As the closest one to her she gave me her power of attorney for life ending decisions and make sure I knew under which circumstances she wished to die.

She got brain cancer and slowly lost the ability to care for herself. She used diapers and had to be fed by hand. She did not use a feeding tube. She lost the ability to speak and couldn't walk. She did understand what was said to her though and could communicate with great effort "yes" and "no" by moving her head up and down for yes or side to side for no. When the time came and the doctors recommended removal to hospice where she would be denied food and water until she died they came to me to exercise final instructions. I went to see her, I spoke with her and the woman who cared for her, fed her, cleaned her. I told Tracy that for years she told me that if she couldn't take care of herself she wanted to be allowed to die and the time had come. If she could answer at all, she had to tell me if this is what she truly wanted. She stared at me for more than a few minutes, then slowly moved her head back and forth. No matter how bad it was, she wanted to live. Her caretaker wasn't surprised. Tracy liked banana pudding and liked to watch television. She also liked to have music on as she fell asleep. How ever poor her quality of life had become, there was still some enjoyment left. Tracy died about two months later, peacefully in her sleep. Under the letter of what was in her written word, I could easily let her die a truly horrible and painful death by dehydration and starvation. Maybe that's why she chose me to be the executor of her end of life decisions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Suppose the Will/Trust doesn't provide for ending life, but all means including extraordinary means to keep them alive?

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    Your life belongs to you and no one else and is yours to do with as you wish including ending it whenever you want for whatever reason.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,924
    Yes, but not an absolute yes.

If someone is clinically ill or injured and is suffering, it should be his choice and a doc may assist.

A depressed or mentally challenged person is a tough call. Do we allow either to help kill themselves? Is there an age limit?

6. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Most provide for a DNR, or not. That is not the same and I doubt - but don't know - if a legally executed Will or Living Trust is able to cover euthanasia since the act itself is illegal.

7. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    I think a person "in sound mind" can make the decision to end their life, and many do everyday. The question however is if someone is in pain and suffering, are they of 'sound mind'?

I would think if the choice is made when one is having a Will or Trust prepared, when they are in sound mind, they would likely put a clause in the document to the effect that when no medical intervention could alleviate the pain and suffering and the quality of life would for all intents and purposes be negligible a pain free and quick death should be provided. I would also think that the document would be iron clad, once a medical professional (maybe two) agree the person holding power of attorney would have no legal right to change the patient's wishes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Doctors should never kill.

Period.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,876

So, if you went to visit your best friend and found him on a chair with a noose around his neck you'd just wish him a bon voyage and walk out?

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,876

Pos rep for excellent anti-abortion message.