Euthanasia/Mercy Killing

Gagafritz

Lady Germanotta Snicks
Dec 4, 2011
What are your thoughts on euthanasia or mercy killings? What were your thoughts on the Terry Shiavo case? And, what about you personally? Do you have a living will and stuff like that?

There are a lot of people that should be put out of their misery.

I don't have a problem with turning off ventilators and withholding treatment for life-extending purposes if the person in question has no hope of returning to a somewhat meaningful life. I do have a problem with mercy killing if it requires active attempts to deliberately take someone's life. The difference is in the active vs passive methods.

The problems with physician assisted suicide fall into several categories, however the most important problem is probably the least addressed. That would be legal ramifications to allowing this practice to become a "treatment of choice" for terminal illnesses. There are many illnesses that are ultimately incurable and terminal, but with supportive treatment the life expectancy of the victim can be 10 to 15 years or more, years in which a cure might be found. However the treatment is costly. If PAS is allowed insurance companies will insist on it as the least costly treatment of choice and refuse to pay for the more expensive life extending treatments. As long as health insurance is a for profit industry the insurance companies will have their eye on the bottom line with little to no regard for what is best for their subscribers. They want you to pay your premiums as long as you are healthy and when you get sick they want you dead ASAP to minimize their financial exposure. Until and unless the for profit model changes I would say allowing physician assisted suicide is a slippery slope.

As long as health insurance is a for profit industry the insurance companies will have their eye on the bottom line with little to no regard for what is best for their subscribers. They want you to pay your premiums as long as you are healthy and when you get sick they want you dead ASAP to minimize their financial exposure. Until and unless the for profit model changes I would say allowing physician assisted suicide is a slippery slope.

It's really not so much private insurance companies which are faced with this question, but Medicare. Medicare pays relatively much more in health care dollars than any of the private insurers.

I have a living will...and I specified a DNR. That is my wish~

The Terri Schiavo case.....her parents wanted to keep her on the feeding tube and stuff, the husband wanted it terminated.
The husband eventually won, after some court battles.
I know the parents didn't want so see their daughter die...but in my opinion, she wasn't really living......and so I think it was best to take her off life support.
She had been that way for several years.......I didn't see her getting any better.

And I believe if someone wants to be put out of their misery, and end the suffering, they should have the right to say what happens to their body.

The Terri Schiavo case.....her parents wanted to keep her on the feeding tube and stuff, the husband wanted it terminated.
I know the parents didn't want so see their daughter die...but in my opinion, she wasn't really living......and so I think it was best to take her off life support.
She had been that way for several years.......I didn't see her getting any better.

And I believe if someone wants to be put out of their misery, and end the suffering, they should have the right to say what happens to their body.

I hope the question I'm going to ask is not too personal, if you don't want to answer I completely understand, and apologize in advance for asking.
But why do you have a DNR? I never really understood why someone would.

I hope the question I'm going to ask is not too personal, if you don't want to answer I completely understand, and apologize in advance for asking.

I'm not the poster you questioned, but I can answer that question.

People who have a DNR order do not want to be rescusitated in the case that they have a cardiac/respiratory arrest. I don't blame them in the least. Rare is the case when a cardiac arrest and subsequent CPR leads to resuming a normal life.

To each their own, but I would hope that should I become mentally deranged or so physically disabled that I couldn't end my life myself, someone would do me the favor of a pillow over the face.

To each their own, but I would hope that should I become mentally deranged or so physically disabled that I couldn't end my life myself, someone would do me the favor of a pillow over the face.

I completely understand this, and I feel the same about my own life~

DNR.......if I'm lying there....apparently close to death...I wish to just die.
I don't want pumps or injections or any other machines working to keep my body alive....because if I'm not up and walking, talking and cursing.....I'm not living.

I think euthenasia can be a good thing but there should be very strict rules on when or how it can be done. I think it could be legalized but only be done if there is no hope. My uncle killed himself this past year after years of battling with stomach cancer and my grandmother wasted away to nothing as a result of breast cancer that spread thoughout her body. My mom says that at the end she was like completely gone.

Forum List

Back