European-AMERICANS, Obama AND THE Joplin RESPONSE

It's not Racism when Whites are discriminated against.

Didn't you get your Progressive Politically Correct Beliefs cheat sheet?

Better than wondering when CBS is going to do a similar poll on Joplin...I wonder when FNC will do a poll.....

Rupert Murdoch, are you listening?

hey I made a comment yesterday on the other thread....

I'll do so again, there was no shortage of angst, aired carefully but none the less by all manner of media, I think I can encapsulate it all here, compliments of a NY Times review of the major "documentaries" made to capture Katrina for the ages...some select snips which speaks to the media machines attitude and purveyance;

If God Is Willing and Da Creek Don’t Rise
a film directed by Spike Lee
HBO Home Video, two DVDs, $24.98 (on sale April 19)

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
a film directed by Spike Lee
HBO Home Video, three DVDs, $19.98

Race
a film directed by Katherine Cecil
Information available at RACE - Homepage.

Trouble the Water
a film directed by Tia Lessin and Carl Deal
Zeitgeist, DVD, $29.99

snip-

Crime, we learn, is back at its unconscionably high pre-Katrina levels. The police force is brutal and corrupt. Poor blacks are on the receiving end of white vigilantism and cursory, rough, inefficient treatment in the court system. Federal aid is pathetically low, and so, therefore, is the pace of rebuilding. Residents of the tens of thousands of trailers put in New Orleans by the Federal Emergency Management Administration are being poisoned by formaldehyde

snip-
most of the people to whom he gives the last word in his treatment of each of these issues believe that the black infrastructure of the city—the schools, the neighborhoods, the projects, Charity—is being taken away because it’s inconvenient and threatening to the white business elite, and because Katrina offered an irresistible opportunity. Conversely, restoring (and improving) pre-Katrina black New Orleans in toto is the only morally acceptable approach now.

snip-
Congress and the Bush administration did spend heavily in New Orleans, but a few months after Katrina Bush balked at what was probably the closest thing to a big comprehensive plan that he might plausibly have endorsed, a proposal by a Louisiana Republican congressman named Richard Baker for a big federal buyout of flooded housing. Baker’s plan was meant to lead to an overall remaking of the city: whole neighborhoods would be bought up, resold, and redeveloped. Instead the administration and Congress appropriated billions in grants to individual homeowners who wanted to move back, and to specific building projects for schools, water treatment plants, libraries, and so on.

snip-
That’s probably not so—it’s doubtful that either BP or the Obama administration had a solution in place by May that they delayed until September because the spill was in Louisiana—but it bespeaks an authentic New Orleans attitude, a feeling that all of the city’s spectacular misfortune hasn’t happened in the first place, and doesn’t get more fully corrected after it has happened, just by unhappy accident. There is, so many feel, an uncaring attitude, or even a malign intent, behind the city’s troubles, which stem from New Orleans’s being a poor, black-majority city.

snip-
The nerve that Nagin struck was a feeling in black New Orleans that somebody out there—white New Orleans, the Bush administration, American culture—did not want New Orleans’s displaced black residents to return, so that the city could return to white political control; and that all the arguments about how and where and when to rebuild were really about that. As a white New Orleans expatriate who still goes home regularly, I had access during those years to white opinion as expressed in living rooms rather than in public, and I can report that this feeling in black New Orleans wasn’t entirely wrong. The ancient, ever-present white fear of black insurrection spiked after Katrina, and there was a palpable longing for New Orleans to be reconstituted as another Charleston or Savannah, smaller, neater, safer, whiter, and relieved of the obligation to try to be a significant modern multicultural city. But that longing has to be understood as something far short of a program that was actually (if surreptitiously) put into effect. If white New Orleans were that efficient, the recovery would have proceeded in a faster and more orderly way.

The New New Orleans by Nicholas Lemann | The New York Review of Books

In the aftermath of Katrina, CBS News polled African Americans

Poll: Katrina Shakes Confidence - CBS News

AFRICAN-AMERICANS, BUSH AND THE KATRINA RESPONSE
As the images broadcast from New Orleans in the wake of Katrina made clear, so many of those left stranded there for days were African-American.

Overall, Americans are unlikely to believe race played any role in the slow response to the tragedy, with 59 percent saying it was not a factor. Whites in particular are unlikely to say it was a factor. But African-Americans across the country see things very differently: two-thirds say race played a major role in the timing of the response.

I wonder what race they see in "the images from Joplin?"

I wonder when CBS is going to conduct a racially based poll on the Obama Administrations response to Joplin?

I must admit that i have been thinking the very same thing.

No you will not see the "outrage" that was the aftermath of Katrina. Joplin is a not politically correct subject to whine about.

In my opinion this disaster is far worse then katrina. NO has days of warning to get the hell out and or take some precautions. Water, food, and basic necessitates. For the most part the ones there chose to stay and tough it out. Tough shit for them in my opinion.

As a former red cross first response disaster aid worker... people are flat told to be prepared tol be on their own for as least THREE days. There were other issues surrounding katrina. The mayor and the governor only part of that problem. It was not accessible by the ground....there were also criminal activities going on. ALL disaster aid is held up until it is SAFE for the aid workers to go in.

Joplin had 20 minutes to cover and run. It is not underwater. There is no crime presence to deal with.

The response to joplin will just as fast as it was to katrina. There just wont be the outrage about how fast it is coming.
Also the mind set of joplin is quite different then to the katrina "victims".

FEMA Administrator Fugate Statement On Tornadoes In Oklahoma, Arkansas, Other States
Release Date: May 25, 2011
Release Number: HQ-11-087

My point isn't that FEMA has or has not released a very nicely worded statement.

My point IS that I'll be surprised if CBS conducts a poll to see how the racial majority of Joplin feels about the response vs. the Racial minority's opinion of the response.

Do the people in Joplin feel the President is racist and ignoring them?

Probably not.

So...

Samson's theory is that Katrina= Joplin

How many Joplin residents were stranded on their rooftops?
How many days did Joplin residents go without water and medicine?
How long did it take emergency crews to reach Joplin survivors?
How long did it take to evacuate Joplin survivors?

1,500 people from Joplin are still missing.

Over 120 have been confirmed dead. What levels of dead and missing make it worth Obama to pay attention?

For comparison, the official death toll from Katrina in New Orleans was 1,464.

Actually the "official" death toll from Katrina AND RITA is much less:

Katrina's Death Toll, Missing Still Unknown

In August, 2006, the Louisiana Department of Health & Hospitals (DHH) released a list of 135 people considered missing in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

That's not the official final tally.

Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFRICAN-AMERICANS, BUSH AND THE KATRINA RESPONSE
As the images broadcast from New Orleans in the wake of Katrina made clear, so many of those left stranded there for days were African-American.

Overall, Americans are unlikely to believe race played any role in the slow response to the tragedy, with 59 percent saying it was not a factor. Whites in particular are unlikely to say it was a factor. But African-Americans across the country see things very differently: two-thirds say race played a major role in the timing of the response.

I wonder when CBS is going to conduct a racially based poll on the Obama Administrations response to Joplin?

So...

Samson's theory is that Katrina= Joplin

How many Joplin residents were stranded on their rooftops?
How many days did Joplin residents go without water and medicine?
How long did it take emergency crews to reach Joplin survivors?
How long did it take to evacuate Joplin survivors?

There were no rooftops to be stranded on
Seems to me as if the people of joplin themselves are handing out the food and water
No idea about the medicine.
Joplin is not underwater...nor is there a criminal element to deal with. So emergency crews are faster to respond.
How long did Joplin have to evacuate? lets give them three days and see how it goes on the evacuation.

Joplin is over 90% White. Nobody cares about white people. :eusa_hand:

Especially Republicans who are refusing disaster relief unless corresponding spending cuts can be made

Especially Republicans who are refusing disaster relief unless corresponding spending cuts can be made

They really should be pressing charges against the "murderous tornado" and make 'it' pay for it.

(BTW, did you notice the tornado was black?)

Last edited:

Funny, if the republicans were saying this about NO, you know no way any aid going there until we can balance the budget....OMG it would be because they were racist!

1,500 people from Joplin are still missing.

Over 120 have been confirmed dead. What levels of dead and missing make it worth Obama to pay attention?

For comparison, the official death toll from Katrina in New Orleans was 1,464.

Actually the "official" death toll from Katrina AND RITA is much less:

Katrina's Death Toll, Missing Still Unknown

In August, 2006, the Louisiana Department of Health & Hospitals (DHH) released a list of 135 people considered missing in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

That's not the official final tally.

Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You gotta problem with the Louisiana Dept. of Heath & Hospital's body count, then take it up with them: I can find lots of stuff on wikipeadia they probably wouldn't agree with.

Gee...a partisan hack post without anything supporting its validity.....how refreshing.

Are you rdean's sock puppet?

Last edited:
My point isn't that FEMA has or has not released a very nicely worded statement.

My point IS that I'll be surprised if CBS conducts a poll to see how the racial majority of Joplin feels about the response vs. the Racial minority's opinion of the response.

See: Inquiring Minds need to know.

You need to publish your poll data, HG.

Yeah, I want to know how many of them are of Irish descent.:D

See: Inquiring Minds need to know.

You need to publish your poll data, HG.

Yeah, I want to know how many of them are of Irish descent.:D

I hope there's lots of Polish People: Obama looks like he's gonna snub them for like, the 17th time, and you do know how important the Joe "six-Pack" Wojajhoviz vote can be.

Forum List

Back