Europe expected to pull weight on Afghanistan in revival of links

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Barack Obama is ready to revive the transatlantic relationship, but he expects Europe to pull its weight on Afghanistan and he would deepen Washington's engagement with other regions.

According to a senior adviser, the Democratic presidential candidate is expected to pledge to work closely with Europe on terrorism, nuclear proliferation and climate change, as part of his commitment to rekindle a transatlantic alliance after eight years of turbulent relations.

FT.com / World - Europe expected to pull weight on Afghanistan in revival of links

My own country is 'pulling its weight' in Afghanistan in the sense that our soldiers are getting pointlessly killed there, why I don't know - to increase the supply of opium, I suppose, since its widespread cultivation is the main difference from life under the Taliban.

Our government is quite clear on the need for this, because it always does what the US says - one of the many reasons why no-one is voting for it any more - but everyone else is baffled, as they were by the insane invasion of Iraq. You should have been there for the big demo: the only people who were against it kept saying, 'They must know something we don't'. We now know they didn't - they were just lying.

If this particular candidate wants to fight Afghans, let him do it himself, say I - and millions more.

Except, we are not fighting Afghans. We are fighting with the Afghanis against the Taliban and AQ.

The Taliban, so I understand, were the Afghan Government of Afghanistan when we invaded that country. Or were they perhaps Martians? I believe Al Qaida (is it?) probably had something to do with the witch trials in New England and with flying saucers: it has certainly been a very convenient myth to justify an oil empire, but whether it actually exists outside the heads of a few demented Saudi and US fundamentalists is a moot question.

The Taliban, so I understand, were the Afghan Government of Afghanistan when we invaded that country. Or were they perhaps Martians? I believe Al Qaida (is it?) probably had something to do with the witch trials in New England and with flying saucers: it has certainly been a very convenient myth to justify an oil empire, but whether it actually exists outside the heads of a few demented Saudi and US fundamentalists is a moot question.

The Taliban seized power by military force. They were an illegal government that was recognised by only two countries, one of which was Pakistan. Their violence and wanton murder of the Afghani people is a matter of record. Of particular note was the massacre at Mazar-i-Sharif where the Taliban systematically killed thousands of civilians during the first three days following their military takeover of the city.

The victims were killed deliberately and arbitrarily in their homes, in the streets, where the bodies were left for several days, in contravention of Islamic doctrine that the dead must be buried within 24 hours. Most of those killed were civilians, including women, children and the elderly who were shot trying to flee the city.

A little reading on the subject seems to be called for.

BTW, the Taliban are ethnic Pashtuns and many are of Pakistani origin.

As for your comments about AQ, they are not even worth the effort to respond to.

The Taliban seized power by military force. They were an illegal government that was recognised by only two countries, one of which was Pakistan. Their violence and wanton murder of the Afghani people is a matter of record. Of particular note was the massacre at Mazar-i-Sharif where the Taliban systematically killed thousands of civilians during the first three days following their military takeover of the city.

The victims were killed deliberately and arbitrarily in their homes, in the streets, where the bodies were left for several days, in contravention of Islamic doctrine that the dead must be buried within 24 hours. Most of those killed were civilians, including women, children and the elderly who were shot trying to flee the city.

A little reading on the subject seems to be called for.

BTW, the Taliban are ethnic Pashtuns and many are of Pakistani origin.

As for your comments about AQ, they are not even worth the effort to respond to.

Don't like 'em, eh? Must be Pakistanis then? Don't be so soft!

Don't like 'em, eh? Must be Pakistanis then? Don't be so soft!

It seems you are unable to hold any form of intelligent debate on this subject. Is that because you don't want to expose just how ignorant of facts you really are?

Further dialogue with you is obviously a waste of time and effort. So don't bother responding.

It seems you are unable to hold any form of intelligent debate on this subject. Is that because you don't want to expose just how ignorant of facts you really are?

Further dialogue with you is obviously a waste of time and effort. So don't bother responding.

Hey - I don't think you like ME either. There's DREADFUL then! I am screaming with grief and horror!

Barack Obama is ready to revive the transatlantic relationship, but he expects Europe to pull its weight on Afghanistan and he would deepen Washington's engagement with other regions.

One country in Europe that is prepared to pull its weight in Afghanistan is Britain. We currently have 8,200 troops in Afghanistan on a rotational basis. Seems that the MOD is prepared to almost double its troop numbers in Afghanistan to 14,000. Pity we can’t say the same for the rest of Europe.

From the Daily Telegraph:

Military chiefs have been in discussion to almost double troop numbers in Afghanistan, the Daily Telegraph understands. Senior military officers have held preliminary talks about troop strenght and believe increasing numbers up to approximately 14,000 from the current 8,200 may be necessary to defeat the Taliban.

During a trip to the frontline in Helmand province yesterday Des Browne said he already agreed on three occasions to military requests for increases. Mr Browne, who is the first senior politician to visit the volatile front line in Sangin town where 10 British troops have been killed since June, said British forces were making progress in Afghanistan, but acknowledged it had come at a "high price".

He said: "The force level that we have in Afghanistan is one that was placed there on advice to do the job that we want it to do. "And I have, twice or three times now, increased that force level. I am willing to do that if that's the military advice."

More troops may be sent to Afghanistan, hints Des Browne - Telegraph

As for other European countries, make up your own mind whether they are pulling their weight in Afghanistan.

Approximate troop numbers by country:

Belgium 375
Denmark 690
Finland 65
France 1670
Germany 3370
Greece 150
Hungary 205
Italy 2350
Netherlands 1770
Norway 580
Poland 1140
Portugal 165
Spain 800
Sweden 250
Turkey 760

Source: NATO/ISAF

Guess they should have not been harboring an international terrorist and turned his ass over when asked nicely the first time.

One of those oil conspiracy folk are you? Only problem with THAT theory is Afghanistan is not a major producer of oil. Back to the drawing board with you, Wile E Coyote.

Forum List

Back