Europe and Prejudice: They Are Not Over It Yet

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I question the title, did racism ever leave Europe?

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/glenn_reynolds/2006/03/racism_returning_in_europe.html

Racism returning in Europe?

Anti-semitism has not been purged from Europe, and is on the rise again.

Here's a report that one in four Swedes wouldn't want a Jew as prime minister.

That's distressing, but it seems quite clear that anti-semitism has not been purged from Europe, and that it appears, in fact, to be on the rise again.

Given that Europe's problems tend to become America's in bloody and expensive ways, this has people in America starting to worry. Claire Berlinski, an American Oxford graduate who has spent much of her life in Paris and Istanbul, has written Menace in Europe: Why the Continent's Crisis is America's Too, a book that's getting considerable play on this side of the Atlantic. You can also hear her in this podcast interview, where she sounds, if anything, more pessimistic than her book.

More pessimistic is Bruce Bawer, a gay American who went to Amsterdam in search of sexual freedom and instead found gay-bashing at the hands of Muslim immigrant gangs - and authorities who were in denial on the subject. He's penned a book entitled While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying Europe from Within (You can read an interview with Bawer here).

I think - and hope - that this is overly pessimistic. Yet it certainly does seem that Europeans are unwilling to face the difficulties of integrating their immigrant populations in general, and their radical Islamist immigrants in particular. I hope that this problem will get the attention it deserves in coming years, before it demands attention in ways that cannot be denied.

Kathianne said:
I question the title, did racism ever leave Europe?

No, of course it never did!

We face constant evidence of that. Right now the public outcry is about the fact that clubs here tend to not let coloured people in. It's a clear violation of the law, but hard to proove. Putting the light on the matters are good though, like this survey. But I think figures would have look alot worse if it was another group than Jews. People generally don't think about Jews as a group here, I believe it lies within the question. If one think of a stereotype Jew he would have long hair and a funny hat. That wouldn't do - we must have a fat, smug moron as leader.

I think - and hope - that this is overly pessimistic. Yet it certainly does seem that Europeans are unwilling to face the difficulties of integrating their immigrant populations in general, and their radical Islamist immigrants in particular. I hope that this problem will get the attention it deserves in coming years, before it demands attention in ways that cannot be denied.

U.S. is built by immigration, You´re much better to appriciate and make "good use" (Does that sound bad?) of immigrants. We have well educated surgeons working as janitors beacuse we fail to appriciate their knowledge.

Forum List

Back