Euro-Weenies Want to Ban Oil Sands

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
An attempt to classify tar sands oil as more environmentally-damaging than conventional oil would effectively ban its sale within European Member States

The European Union is moving to prevent tar sands oil from entering the European market due to the greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) associated with its production.

Oil from the tar sands industry is set to be classified as having greater GHG emissions than conventional oil in a review of the European Union’s Fuel Quality Directive. Recognising the greater environmental impact of tar sands oil will effectively ban its use in EU states, where fuel providers are legally bound to aim for 6 per cent reductions in GHG emissions by 2020.

This is a staggering blow to Canada's petroleum industry. Since Europe imports approximately 0% of all of Canada's oil, it is unlikely the Canadian economy will survive!

Europe moves to ban imports of tar sands oil from Canada - News - The Ecologist

If Europe were importing oil sands oil, they would not have banned it. Unfortunately, the tar sands are just about as bad as it gets when it concerns environmental damage. But it will continue. And the damage will be done. Our gift to our grandchildren.

I think the day will come when Europe will in fact be importing oil from tar sands. Or even develop their own.

Greenpeace can now reveal that petroleum products containing tar sands crude oil have been regularly entering the EU’s petroleum supply chain for some time, primarily through imports of diesel from the US Gulf Coast (USGC). A significant rise in the trade in diesel fuel between the USGC and the EU since 2008 is likely to continue to provide crucial support for the struggling refinery industry in the region. The trade is supported by a structural diesel deficit in the EU market and a similar surplus in the US.

Tar sands - May 19 | Energy Bulletin

Canada does not need a European market for its product. The Chinese appetite for oil is growing at such a rate that they will gladly take it.

Makes as much sense as me boycotting caviar in protest over Russian policies, or boycotting escargot in protest over what France is doing.

I wouldn't eat either of them on a bet.

Forum List

Back