EU report proves, Georgia started Caucasus War.

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by mightypeon, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Remember the little war not long ago when "Evil agressive Russia" was attakcing "peaceloving Democratic Georgia"?
    Well, a recently released 900 page report by Swiss diplomat Heidi Tagliavani clearly attributes the blame to the Georgians, who, citation:"Initiated hostilities by firing on Russian Peace keeping troops under an international mandate".

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Koff koff BULLSHIt koff

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    Peace keepers do not side with one or the other side. The Russians were arming and training the break away republic. They were not peacekeepers at all but armed mercenaries defending a rogue State.

4. Shorebreak

Shorebreak Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +102
    ????? :confused:

Really? Every news report that I read at the time showed that Israel was arming and training Georgia, that the US was supporting the effort with advisors on the ground, and even that we were providing material support to Georgia during the conflict.

This is the first I'm hearing that Russia itself was arming and training the republic. They were arming and training South Ossetia , yes, but the Georgian Republic? This is the first I've heard of it.

5. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Pretty sure South Ossetia is what he's referring to as a rogue state.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    Dumb ass.

7. Shorebreak

Shorebreak Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Dumb ass? No.

Reading comprehension f-up? Yup - I'll give you that. My response was completely out of context.

But you gotta admit - if my response WAS in context, it WOULD have been a good one... :D

8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Georgia had been buying a large amount of weapons from Israel.

Israel was trying to make Georgia a Zionist base camp.

And encouraged Georgia to attack Russia.

9. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am not making any assumptions about the legality of whatever action was taken, but Georgia clear Shot first, in a suprise attack and at both South Ossetian civilian and Russian peace keaping targets.
    Bear in mind that this mandate has been in place for a very long time, and that the Russian troops activly conducted a naval blockade of Abkazia, another Georgian Break away republic, when Abkhazia was violating peace agreements with Georgia.

If you have conclusive proof that the Russian peace keeping troops activly violated their responsibilities prior to the Georgian attack, than go ahead and post it. Neither the EU nor the OECD report makes this claim.

And neither the EU nor the OECD is particularly pro Russian.

Does the well known fact that the US is activly supporting, training and arming Taiwanese forces allow China to launch a sneak attack of them?
    Legally speaking, China has more rights to blow up US forces in Taipeh than Georgia has to shoot ar Russians in Tsinkvali, since China never signed any agreement to have those US assets in Taiwan, and the US assets in Taiwan do not operate under a UNO mandate either.
    Unless you agree that having territorial claims on a not unanimously recogniced territorial entity legally entitles a nation to launch full scale military suprise attacks at both third party peace keeping forces and civilian targets, you will have a very hard time in legitimizing Georgias actions.

Oh, and Israeli involvement does have that much to do with Zionism. Georgias gouverment is quite pro western, and, apart from Armenia (and propping Armenia would totally piss off Turkey, the most moderate Muslem state) , the only other non Muslim state in the general region.
    If Israels intentions would be entirely rational/secular whatever, they would likely be selling weapons to Georgia anyway.

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,076
    "But you gotta admit - if my response WAS in context, it WOULD have been a good one..."

Instant Classic! Fucking great!