EU Foreign Policy and Contempt for Human Rights

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, Mar 30, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Have to agree with you onedomino, France and Germany have been undermining all attempts to stop problems from erupting for a long time now. I wouldn't throw Britain into the mix, though they've had their problems, but no moreso than the US catering to Fox in Mexico.

I keep trying to figure out what is the French led motivation; undermining US hegemony or trying to save their economy?

3. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Funny...

When I read your message, I see that the situation in france is hopeless, the french economy is out, and the human rights are denied.
    and I see that the US situation is bright, no violation of human rights......

Don't be worried, France goes not so bad as you mean.
    And for the Human Rights, don't be worried too...we have in Europe a real good system of Human Rights defense. In France wehave a real good too. So, on 2 different scales, soon 3, we have a systelmof protection of these rights. It is not the situation of a lot of countries, there is that only in Europe.

Guantanamo ? Abu Grahib ? and probably also all so many little violations in the US soil....

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    What is France planning to do with French/non-French arrested terrorists found in your country now? Also, are you saying that your human rights are not protected now, even though you do have a good human rights defense system, but additional systems of protection are needed to protect the system of protection?(see point 2 and 3).

Oh, and how's Jerry Lewis doing at the box office these days?

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    What does your response have to do with the subject of this thread? The above quoted article refers to EU foreign policy promoting weapons sales to known human rights abusers in China. The article also criticizes the EU policy of normalizing relations with the despot Castro.

6. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Gitmo is a non-issue. Some terrorists are being held in outdoor cells, where they are allowed to pray, excersise, etc. Some are let go to commit more terrorist attacks. Boo-frickady-hoo.

Abu Ghraib? Am I to believe the panty incident weighs equal on the scales of history with Fidel Castro, Red China's crackdowns, the USSR, and other dictatorships?

Again, like the article says, you could use a dose of reality.

7. padisha emperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    France 'goal in the life is not undermining the USA, you know. We are not obsess by the USA. (it is not like on this board, where the obsession is to bash France, but anyway...) (joke, be quiet ;) )

If France want to have some contracts with China, it is it right.
    I think that France wouldn't be the first country in the world who have trade agreements and cooperation with a country who has not a great respect for the human rights. France has political relations with such countries, and trade, commercial relations too.
    USA have good relations with Saudi Arabia, one of the most integrist country in his policy, for the women, the human rights.....but the USA are friends with S-A, and have trade and diplomatic relations....

So, why a such noise and hell for France and Germany ?

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I think Saudi Arabia has said they would at least try to resolve certain issues, even though the Sa'ud family is responsible for creating much of what is taking place within their country in order to protect their own interests. The same can not be said for China, which is obvious by their denial of abuses and continued threats against their neighbours et al.

9. padisha emperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I will not defend China in this post. Only to show an other side of this country.
    But of course I am agaijst the violation of human rights.

China have about 1.5 billions of inhabitants, maybe more. Maybe near of 2 billions.
    the most populated country on earth.
    And China had always an awesome population. They have historickly some behavior who were not really pretty for the inhabitants. A little bit like the Pharaons during the pyramids' construction. In China it was for the Great Wall, thousands of deads.
    So, it is in the Chinese's minds that the life has not the worth of the life in occident. For us, life is the most precious thing, but for the chinese, it is not necessary it.
    If they have a so strong penal law system : imagine, a country with 1.5 billions of people : to stop the infractions, you have to show strong example : then,; death penalties, torturesmaybe....I don't defend it, but some chinese think like that. They're so many that a life has not the same worth.

i know a teacher of Fundamental liberties, she did 1 year in China, and she was unable to explain the notion of Human Rights, the chinese students didn't understand it. they are not dumber than us, it is only that it is not their culture.

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Are you drunk? Didn't we just have a discussion regarding atrocities commited by many, many french rulers and political leaders?

Sure they think that, how else would their communist regime remain in power if they didn't have such a blatant disrespect for human life?

France and Germany have a post-colonial history of trying to extend their regional influence and dominate economically through the sale of arms, I guess no one should be surprised now, eh? Especially since their mis-use and abuse of international organizations has sadly come to an end. :cry: