Etiquette question

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
I've been married to my wife for 18 years. When we travel in the car, I always open the door for her to get in and close it after she has sat down. Is this old fashioned or outdated? Personally, I don't mind and I wouldn't feel right by not doing it. Now and then there are snickers but I don't pay it any mind. Does anybody else tend the car door for their wife or girlfriend? Just curious.

I've been married to my wife for 18 years. When we travel in the car, I always open the door for her to get in and close it after she has sat down. Is this old fashioned or outdated? Personally, I don't mind and I wouldn't feel right by not doing it. Now and then there are snickers but I don't pay it any mind. Does anybody else tend the car door for their wife or girlfriend? Just curious.

O how charming, BBD. I think this is a lovely custom, and it prolly makes Mrs BBD very happy. I wish we had more of these grace notes in all our lives.

BBD,

You have class and are a gentleman. Mr. Boe also opens the door for me; I find it to be very sweet.

And if anyone snickers, it just reflects poorly on the snickerer.

Never outdated, just not always required if you can unlock the door remotely and the lady doesn't want to sit in the heat or cold and wait for you to walk around the car. I always open the door for any lady nearby and usually don't get dirty looks.

PHHHHHT.

On special occasions and when I'm in trouble.

It's a bit over the top, but better to err on the side of good manners, eh?

I always open the door for my wife and my daughters.

Because I wanted my daughters to see how they should be treated when they grew up and were looking for a husband.

Also;

When my sons were young.

I made them open and hold the door for not only their mother, but also their sisters.

(they hated the sister part)

But now they are grown up and open the door for any woman entering their car. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

I always do it , unless she beats me to it ,

(...) I wouldn't feel right by not doing it (...)

It does not really matter, if holding the door open is outdated when you don't feel right if you are not holding it open.

Back then, did you do the same, when you dated your 'future'-wife?

I do the same, religiously; and when walking along a road or on a public sidewalk, I always walk between my sweetie and the street. All these are inculcated in the generation just prior to the "hippy" generation, a generation whoe's young males wouldn't deign to honor their live-in "girl friends" with the sacrament of marriage, or their children, properly, with a father's last name.

Last edited:

you big gallant lug you...:lol:

I do same.

I also do things that I was taught when I grew up that have become passe' evidently, some of which burn me up like;
-someone not taking off their sunglasses when we meet for the first time,
-or shaking hands with the ole ‘dead fish', look if you don't really care to shake hands don't. Don’t offer me a piece of inanimate meat to shake, do it like you mean it, or don't you know?
-also, standing up when you meet someone, while you shake hands- or not....
-taking off your hat at the appropriate time...

Last edited:
It's a bit over the top, but better to err on the side of good manners, eh?

Is that a question? :eusa_eh:

Of course good manners will always win you points, "ignoring" manners will get you nowhere, real fast. Unless you want a bull for a wife or a girlfriend

you big gallant lug you...:lol:

I do same.

I also do things that I was taught when I grew up that have become passe' evidently, some of which burn me up like;
-someone not taking off their sunglasses when we meet for the first time,
-or shaking hands with the ole ‘dead fish', look if you don't really care to shake hands don't. Don’t offer me a piece of inanimate meat to shake, do it like you mean it, or don't you know?
-also, standing up when you meet someone, while you shake hands- or not....
-taking off your hat at the appropriate time...

In fairness, Trajan, few young people are taught such things these days. And for some weird reason, there are women who seem to think the "dead fish" handshake is feminine.

Forum List

Back