Ethnic revenge massacre in Kenya kills 41

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
kenya-massacre.jpg

At least 41 people, including many women and children, from the Christian Pokomo tribe in southwest Kenya were massacred while they slept in a 3am by the Muslim Orma tribe. The attack was in revenge for a attack by the Pokomo against the Orma in August, where 52 people were hacked to death with some being burnt alive, and hundreds of cattle were mutilated.

Read more of The Religion of Peace's war on Christians @ World View: Ethnic Massacre in Kenya Kills 41

al-Shabaab vowed revenge for Kenyan support against Islamists in south Somalia...

39 dead in Kenya mall attack; hostages still held
Sep 21,`13 -- Terrified shoppers huddled in back hallways and prayed they would not be found by the Islamic extremist gunmen lobbing grenades and firing assault rifles inside Nairobi's top mall Saturday. When the way appeared clear, crying mothers clutching small children and blood-splattered men sprinted out of the four-story mall.
At least 39 people were killed and more than 150 wounded in the assault, Kenya's president announced on national TV, while disclosing that his close family members were among the dead. Foreigners were among the casualties. France's president said that two French women were killed. Two Canadians were killed, including a diplomat, said the Candadian prime minister. Four American citizens were reported injured but not killed in the attack, the State Department said Saturday. Early Sunday morning, 12 hours after the attack began, gunmen remained holed up inside the mall with an unknown number of hostages. President Uhuru Kenyatta called the security operation under way "delicate" and said a top priority was to safeguard hostages.

As the attack began shortly after noon Saturday, the al-Qaida-linked gunmen asked the victims they had cornered if they were Muslim: Those who answered yes were free to go, several witnesses said. The non-Muslims were not. Somalia's Islamic extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility and said the attack was retribution for Kenyan forces' 2011 push into Somalia. The rebels threatened more attacks. Al-Shabab said on its Twitter feed that Kenyan security officials were trying to open negotiations. "There will be no negotiations whatsoever," al-Shabab tweeted. As night fell in Kenya's capital, two contingents of army special forces troops moved inside the mall.

4726ccbd-0fca-4a81-98f1-4a1d706ea3b3-big.jpg

Civilians who had been hiding inside during the gun battle manage to flee from the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013. Gunmen threw grenades and opened fire Saturday, killing at least 22 people in an attack targeting non-Muslims at an upscale mall in Kenya's capital that was hosting a children's day event, a Red Cross official and witnesses said.

Police and military surrounded the huge shopping complex as helicopters buzzed overhead. An Associated Press reporter said he saw a wounded Kenyan soldier put into an ambulance at nightfall, an indication, perhaps, of a continuing shoot-out inside. Witnesses said at least five gunmen - including at least one woman - first attacked an outdoor cafe at Nairobi's Westgate Mall, a shiny, new shopping center that includes Nike, Adidas and Bose stores. The mall's ownership is Israeli, and security experts have long said the structure made an attractive terrorist target.

The attack began shortly after noon with bursts of gunfire and grenades. Shoppers - expatriates and affluent Kenyans - fled in any direction that might be safe: into back corners of stores, back service hallways and bank vaults. Over the next several hours, pockets of people trickled out of the mall as undercover police moved in. Some of the wounded were trundled out in shopping carts. "We started by hearing gunshots downstairs and outside. Later we heard them come inside. We took cover. Then we saw two gunmen wearing black turbans. I saw them shoot," said Patrick Kuria, an employee at Artcaffe, the restaurant with shady outdoor seating.

MORE

See also:

Kenya mall: Reporter outside, good friends inside
Sep 21,`13 -- The frantic phone call came from a close friend staying the weekend with my family: She was inside Nairobi's most upscale mall and could hear gunshots. Her husband and 2-year-old daughter were inside too, but she didn't know where. Where should she go?
Over the next several hours my role as a reporter collided with my concern for close friends in mortal danger. Reporters everywhere must separate their emotions from scenes of horror, but that's a near-impossible task when your friends are facing attackers lobbing grenades and firing bullets. Lyndsay called my wife two minutes after the first blast. It was 12:40 p.m. Saturday. Lyndsay, who was at a top-floor bookstore, initially thought it was a robbery. I rushed from home to the shopping center, a mile away. The scene was eerie: Gunmen had shot up cars at the mall's entrance. Bodies lay hanging from the vehicles. Volleys of gunfire and small explosions rang in my ears as I and others ducked behind cars.

Lyndsay's husband, Nick, was with their daughter Julia in the downstairs cafe that appeared to be the initial attack point. He scooped up his toddler and ran. They ended up being pushed into a department store storage area and would stay there the next three hours. Lyndsay was in a third-floor movie theater when she called me again. If gunmen found her and others, there was no escape, she said. A short while later the movie theater group - about 20 strangers related by terror - took an emergency exit up to the roof. Once there, they still had no escape. "Jason, can you make sure the police know there are civilians on the roof?" she asked me. One person had stuck his head over the side and was greeted with a bullet, likely from police.

3360c2a2-0161-4b01-8f95-825011c6cf22-big.jpg

Lyndsay, centre, embraces daughter Julia and husband Nick, partially seen, in a reunion that came after the couple had been separated for three hours inside a mall under attack by al-Shabab terrorists in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013. The couple, friends of an AP reporter, were texting and calling the AP reporter during the hostage crisis, blurring the lines between journalist and friend.

I told a police officer. He didn't seem to care. The trick is telling the RIGHT police officer. I asked an Associated Press colleague who is Kenyan to tell a high-ranking police official he knows. "This isn't strictly work-related," I told him. "But it could save lives." I returned to my own work as a reporter, suppressing my fears that my friends could be killed. I snapped photos and took video. I interviewed a Dutch couple who had been close to the grenade blast. That night, Kenya's president put the death toll at 39. Nick either texted or called me. He was in the back room with Julia but unsure what to do. Did I have any information? I texted or called him several times but I feared each time that his phone would ring when gunmen were nearby.

Lyndsay called back. What should she do if the terrorists came onto the roof? There was nowhere to go. The drop to the next level down was perhaps 20 feet. Lyndsay is nearly eight months pregnant; jumping off the roof could have tragic consequences. Grab a cable and rappel off a satellite base, I said. She later told me that might not have worked. "My honest thought was I was afraid I would be too scared to do it," Lyndsay said. At the same time, she later said, it was good just to have someone to talk to. Plainclothes cops helped Lyndsay and the roof hostages escape, but husband Nick and daughter Julia were still inside. Despite all the tension, Julia was mostly well behaved.

MORE

They must have hid out in the mall overnight...

Fresh gunfire from Kenya mall Sunday morning
22 Sept.`13 — Multiple barrages of gunfire erupted Sunday morning from the upscale Kenyan mall where there is a hostage standoff with Islamic extremists nearly 24 hours after they attacked using grenades and assault rifles.
Two wounded Kenyan security forces were carried out of the Westgate shopping mall after a sustained volley of gunfire that may have included grenade blasts. Kenyan authorities said the militants held an unknown number of hostages in the shopping center located in the Westlands area of Nairobi, after killing at least 39 and injuring 150 on Saturday. Somalia's al-Qaida-linked rebel group, al-Shabab, claimed responsibility for the attack in which they specifically targeted non-Muslims.

Kenyans and foreigners were among those confirmed dead, including French and Canadians. Kenya's presidential office said that one of the attackers was arrested on Saturday and died after suffering from bullet wounds. "Violent extremists continue to occupy Westgate Mall. Security services are there in full force," said the United States embassy in an emergency text message issued Sunday morning.

Trucks brought in a fresh contingent of soldiers from the Kenya Defense Forces early Sunday to back the combined military and police force that surrounded the upscale mall overnight. Daylight brought some good news, as Kenyan media reported that several people in hiding in the mall escaped to safety, suggesting that not everyone who is still inside is being held by al-Shabab. Cecile Ndwiga said she had been hiding under a car in the basement parking garage. "I called my husband to ask the soldiers to come and rescue me. Because I couldn't just walk out anyhow. The shootout was all over here — left, right— just gun shots," she said.

Nairobi resident Paolo Abenavoli said he is holed up in his apartment only 100 meters from the mall with a direct view of the entrance. He said he could see a dozen or more security forces inside a first floor restaurant. "The battle is on now," Abenavoli told The Associated Press by telephone as the fresh gunfire broke out Sunday. Security forces had pushed curious crowds far back from the mall. Hundreds of residents gathered on a high ridge above the mall to watch for any activity.

Fresh gunfire from Kenya mall Sunday morning

See also:

Israeli forces enter Nairobi mall: Kenyan security officials
A Kenyan security official says Israeli forces have entered a shopping mall in the capital, Nairobi, where Somali militants have already killed dozens of people and an unknown number of hostages are still being held.
Local security officials say the Israeli forces have joined Kenyans to end the deadly mall siege on Sunday. The Kenyan troops backed by Israeli forces are now battling against gunmen holding dozens of people hostage inside the shopping mall for the second day. "The Israelis have just entered and they are rescuing the hostages and the injured," media outlets quoted an unnamed senior Kenyan security source as saying.

Kenyan military spokesman noted that a large number of well-equipped forces are fighting the assailants that attacked the mall, killing nearly 60 people and injuring some 200 more. "We are still battling with the attackers and our forces have managed to maroon the attackers on one of the floors," said Colonel Cyrus Oguna, adding, "We hope to bring this to an end today." There are reports of sporadic gunfire inside the mall as Kenyan forces try to kill or capture the remaining 10 to 15 gunmen who are holding about 70 people hostage.

The carnage on Saturday started when gunmen stormed the Westgate Mall in an upscale neighborhood, throwing hand grenades and indiscriminately firing at people. Somalia’s al-Shabab fighters have claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was in retaliation for Kenya’s military intervention in Somalia.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says he has lost family members in the deadly attack. He also vowed to bring perpetrators and attackers to justice for targeting innocent civilians "Let me make it clear. We shall hunt down the perpetrators wherever they run to. We shall get them. We shall punish them for this heinous crime,” Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation late Saturday. The attack was the worst in Nairobi since an al-Qaeda bombing at the US Embassy killed over 200 people in 1998.

PressTV - Israeli forces enter Nairobi mall: Kenyan security officials

Damn assault weapons.

Lol, yeah. If they didn't have those nifty rifles, I'm sure they'd be totally cool with eachother and stop the killing. The earth was so peaceful before the invention of the firearm.

Did you see Torchwood Miracle Day? Basically evryone on earth suddenly would not die. During the show they referenced the African warlords who started losing their nut because they weren't able to kill anyone. So they just rounded everyone up, chopped them up and buried the pieces.

Uncle Ferd says Obama needs to send Navy Seal Team 6 in there an' kill dem terrorists...

Gunfire, blast as Kenya forces battle militants
24 Sept.`13 — Sporadic gunfire rang out early Tuesday from inside a Nairobi mall as Kenyan security forces battled al-Qaida-linked terrorists into a fourth day in what they said was a final push to rescue the last few hostages in a siege that has left more than 60 people dead.
Despite Kenyan government assurances of success, an explosion and gunfire could be heard coming from the mall at around 6:30 a.m., followed by the sustained chatter of automatic weapons for about a minute almost three hours later, according to Associated Press reporters at the scene. Security forces carried a body out of the mall, which remained on fire, with flames and smoke visible. A Kenyan soldier wearing bomb disposal protective gear also exited the building. While the government announced Sunday that "most" hostages had been released, a security expert with contacts inside the mall said at least 10 were still being held by a band of attackers described as "a multinational collection from all over the world."

Somalia's al-Qaida-linked rebel group, al-Shabab, which claimed responsibility for the attack, posted an audio message on a pro-militant website late Monday that they were still in control of the building. "Despite botched attempts by the Jews and Christians to recapture the mall today, the mujahideen are still in control of the Westgate," al-Shabab spokesman Sheik Ali Mohamud Rage said in the message. "The upper hand still remains theirs," he said. Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said "two or three Americans" and "one Brit" were among those who attacked the mall. She said in an interview with the PBS "NewsHour" program that the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived "in Minnesota and one other place" in the U.S. The attacker from Britain was a woman who has "done this many times before," Mohamed said.

U.S. officials said they were looking into whether any Americans were involved. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Monday that the department had "no definitive evidence of the nationalities or the identities" of the attackers. Britain's foreign office said it was aware of the foreign minister's remarks, but would not confirm if a British woman was involved. The security expert, who insisted on anonymity to talk freely about the situation, said many hostages had been freed or escaped in the previous 24-36 hours, including some who were in hiding. However, there were at least 30 hostages when the assault by al-Shabab militants began Saturday, he said, and "it's clear" that Kenyan security officials "haven't cleared the building fully." Kenyan government spokesman Manoah Esipisu said the country's president would make an address to the nation later in the day but said he could give no immediate details on the operation.

Flames and dark plumes of smoke rose Monday above the Westgate shopping complex for more than an hour after four large explosions rocked the surrounding neighborhood. The smoke was pouring through a large skylight inside the mall's main department and grocery store, where mattresses and other flammable goods appeared to have been set on fire, a person with knowledge of the rescue operation told The Associated Press. The explosions were followed by volleys of gunfire as police helicopters and a military jet circled overhead, giving the neighborhood the feel of a war zone. An armored personnel carrier sat in front of the building. By Monday evening, Kenyan security officials said they had claimed the upper hand. "Taken control of all the floors. We're not here to feed the attackers with pastries but to finish and punish them," Police Inspector General David Kimaiyo said on Twitter.

More Gunfire, blast as Kenya forces battle militants

Damn assault weapons.

Lol, yeah. If they didn't have those nifty rifles, I'm sure they'd be totally cool with eachother and stop the killing. The earth was so peaceful before the invention of the firearm.

You have a point.

The Christian Tribe did use machetes to hack people to death. 52 right?

So they were more effective then the Muslim tribe who got 10 less people.

Forum List

Back