Mathematician
Aug 31, 2009
From the Washington Post

7 on defense panel scrutinized
Separate probes focus on ties to lobbying firm founded by Hill aide

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 30, 2009

Nearly half the members of a powerful House subcommittee in control of Pentagon spending are under scrutiny by ethics investigators in Congress, who have trained their lens on the relationships between seven panel members and an influential lobbying firm founded by a former Capitol Hill aide.

The investigations by two separate ethics offices include an examination of the chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee on defense, John P. Murtha (D-Pa.), as well as others who helped steer federal funds to clients of the PMA Group. The lawmakers received campaign contributions from the firm and its clients. A document obtained by The Washington Post shows that the subcommittee members under scrutiny also include Peter J. Visclosky (D-Ind.), James P. Moran Jr. (D-Va.), Norm Dicks (D-Wash.), Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio) , C.W. Bill Young (R-Fla.) and Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

More at the link. Surprise Surprise, corruption in Congress. Who'd have thunk it?

Put them up on treason charges and hang them from the Capitol rotunda, then try them. Or something like that. They hate Americans, so don't forget the hate crime charges.

Murtha has been under a cloud going back to Abscam, yet he has managed to always avoid the noose.

maybe because the people putting him under a "cloud" had an agenda?

or maybe he's just a crook.

or maybe the right just started ranting about him when he said bush was FOS?

my larger point was that a) the cloud doesn't matter so much without something tangible.

but if there was corruption, then it appears to be bi-partisan, at least.

and if the charges bear out, then they should handle it appropriately.

Last edited:
Good.... bi-partisan corruption; bi-partisan investigation;

hopefully bi-partisan result addressing things appropriately if the allegations are found to be true.

I'm glad the investigation is bi-partisan at least. Its not surprising the scandal is bi-partisan. The corruption rampant in the acquisition of government contracts on all levels knows no political party. The only reason this investigation seems to involve more "D" than "R" is that right now bribing a "D" is a better use of your money. What good is an "R" congressman in the current Legislature to anybody?

hopefully bi-partisan result addressing things appropriately if the allegations are found to be true.

I'm glad the investigation is bi-partisan at least. Its not surprising the scandal is bi-partisan. The corruption rampant in the acquisition of government contracts on all levels knows no political party. The only reason this investigation seems to involve more "D" than "R" is that right now bribing a "D" is a better use of your money. What good is an "R" congressman in the current Legislature to anybody?

Exactly right.... although I'd hesitate to use the word "bribe" until we have more information.

Exactly right.... although I'd hesitate to use the word "bribe" until we have more information.

True. And its worth remembering this is an investigation, not a conviction, or even an indictment.

Crooks in congress (forgive my redundancy) should be tossed out when proof is found, no matter who they are.

Glad to see these investigations.

I agree. Yet they're still on the payroll until "investigations" are concluded. How long did Bob Ney hold on, and I believe he even ADMITTED to kickbacks brought about by Jack Abramoff scams of Indian tribes?

Forum List

Back