Ethics of Right versus Left

ihallhou

Rookie
Apr 4, 2012
There are pitfalls when trying to demonize your enemies, or those you disagree with. In this piece, I fall into all of them; I let my convictions and emotions paint the picture rather than the evidence.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical. Ethics is all about rightness of behavior, or interaction with those around us. Therefore, if your "ethic" is based on self-interest, it is not ethical at all; it doesn't account for your impact on others. Republicans are children who never grew up. I'm definitely not perfect, but I at least consider the impact of invading countries before millions die.

I've long thought about the essential difference between right and left, and if you hadn't figured it out: I'm on the left. Everyone is somewhere, even social scientists and political commentators. What is usually omitted is where they stand. I think that's important. In fact, I might advocate for mandatory admission of your party (for reporters).

Let's look at the issues, one by one, so that we can judge, on the merits of each, their ethics, rather than generalizing as is so often done.

Economy

Probably the issue that seduces the most left-leaners into the right fold, the economic philosophy of republicans is that 1) taxes suck, 2) government is the enemy of business people, and thus all people. This forgets the fact that almost all Americans work for either business people (rather than BEING business people) or the government, and thus would benefit from someone to keep business in check (with such regulations as no rape, no murder, no slavery, no child workers, no 120 hour weeks, no etc).

Health Care

If people get sick and don't have insurance, whether it's their fault or not (which, according to republicans, it probably is), they should die because they don't have the money to pay for treatment. Republicans don't want to pay for anyone else's anything. The world is hard, but it's better if we all come together. Imagine yourself without your family. Claiming your $100 a year is all fine and good, but saving the lives of countless others? To republicans: worthless. Why? Self-interest. Childishness.

Social Issues

Republicans: Jews are okay, but gays should be imprisoned. Gay marriage is a laughable proposition, because gay anything is sinful. If I don't understand it, it should be illegal.

Republicans are all about helping oneself. Democrats are about people helping each other. Sure, most republicans have good intentions and actually believe they're helping others by condemning them. But that's not all. Some are racist and even those who think they're doing good are actually doing bad because they don't understand that other people are beautiful, just like themselves. Being different is beautiful, just like being the same is. What's ugly is condemning, hating, and/or persecuting people. Don't forget, the right wing is the wing of slavery, naziism, war, Jim Crow, etc. Don't want to be in this category? Join those who love others besides themselves, on the left. Care about people besides yourself.

International Issues

Republicans: I'm afraid. The world might invade us. Terrorists might attack us. War sucks, but I don't mind it. Let's spend more than half of our budget on military, so that we have no money for teachers, health care, or anything else. Let's lay off teachers so we can invade countries thousands of miles away for the purpose of upsetting millions of people and causing them to attack us more. But if we have space missles, we can shoot all the people who hate us because we blow them out of existence. Awesome! It's like that explosion I saw on TV!

Conclusion

Ethical behavior, as your Mama (should have) taught you, is about how to behave in the world by considering others besides yourself. The republican ethic of the self is childish and, in my view, morally wrong because is considers only the self and not that of others. Christianity is strangely identified with the republican party, which further discredits christianity (it didn't need any more). My angry words don't mean that I devalue any person. I love every person ever born; however, if I were to sit idly by and let them rape the world, I'd be a bad person. Therefore, republicans, rethink your selfish ways and try thinking about other people.

Last edited:
In truth right and left are too arbitrary a classification. They refer back to other ideas and are often used only as sticks. But good to see someone thinking about the stuff that passes for reality today. Welcome.

I thought this meeting interesting and relevant. Briebart and Ayers, caricatures in media and much commentary eating together. The comment on 'my America' versus your America is an interesting one. We often see what we are conditioned to see from the position we feel most comfortable with.

"...invite 6 people to dinner with whom we profoundly disagree and engage in civil discourse. I can think of nothing more radical." KJWaugh from comments

My wife hates when I debate my wacky in-laws. :lol:

"I think I’m going to try and reach out to Bill Ayers and try and figure out if I can maybe do a road trip across the country with him—him and me—and he can show me his America, and I can show him my America, and maybe we can film it and let people decide. Because I’ve got to be honest with you, I liked being in the room with him, talking with him." Andrew Breitbart

Boston Review — Bill Ayers: Breaking Bread with Breitbart

Facts are never beside the point. There is no logic without evidence.

Your definition of what constitutes ethical behavior came from your mama? Try a dictionary.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

If you think a dictionary can give you ethics, I recommend consulting your mama.

You shouldn't have wasted your time writing all of this...you are so wrong it's almost funny. You think you know ALL Republicans and how they think...or because of what the left has twisted and claimed is true and you suck it right in.

I don't call myself a republican, but i am quite conservative. I'd vote for a Dem, if there ever is one worth voting for. I don't hate people because of the way they think (everyone has different opinions), or hate someone because of their lifestyle (although i don't agree with it - but that's my opinion). I don't want someone to die because they don't have healthcare (THAT's just a plain stupid comment!)...that, again, is how liberals twist words to suit their needs.

It sounds like you are coming from the perspective of having health care, not having to worry about what happens if you get sick. I'm really not trying to slander anything, simply worried about those who don't have access to the things they need to survive. I don't have health care. I'm a teacher. I teach 12 hours a day, and if I get sick, I have no assurance that I'll survive because there's nothing out there to help me. If you think that's funny, I think you're a very evil person. If I had kids, wow. Republicans would be to blame for whatever happened.

All the time he took to write that.

and most, nearly all if complete and utter bullshit.

How many rights have liberals taken?

The right to bear arms
Free speech
trying to take privacy
trying to take the right too or not too buy a product
Freedom of religion

and you cry about ethics?

Well you're correct in questioning my definition of ethics. The real definition is: a set of principles adopted by an individual or group used to guide behavior.

But as a society, we don't adopt that definition, we have specified specific moral behavior. You can choose to be a moral relativist. I don't. I think, for example, that killing other people is wrong.

I think it's hilarious that you're not able to comment on the content of my post. Rather, you fling insults that have nothing to do with the content of what I said. Certainly doesn't speak well for the republican party. I hope you can engage life in a more mature manner. Good wishes,

Ian

All the time he took to write that.

and most, nearly all if complete and utter bullshit.

How many rights have liberals taken?

The right to bear arms
Free speech
trying to take privacy
trying to take the right too or not too buy a product
Freedom of religion

and you cry about ethics?

This should be great. A bullshit fight! Who can spread more bullshit in a single post.

Two Thumbs,

Do you really think that anyone with a brain believes that your right to bear arms and your freedom of speech have been taken from you? Your privacy? Your freedom of religion?

"Too bee orr nott too bee.......thatt iss thee questionn"

Another great example of what the left "thinks" they know about conservatives.

You need to look only at the donations made to charities by Dems and Republicans. The results will crush your opinion that Republicans only care about themselves.

You see, everyone needs help from time to time, most of that help can and should come from private charities. The Dems think the government should take care of them and Republicans reach out to them as individuals. They don't believe generational welfare is helpful for any family. There is a certain pride that goes along with "making it on your own", pulling yourself out of the gutter. Why does the left demonize that?? Why won't they give the ones that are able that chance?? Why keep them on the government dole?

Oh and no one goes without medical help if they need it. That's a bold face lie, when was the last time you visited an ER?? Do they ask for insurance info before they treat you?? Not the one's I've been to.

Does Healthcare need to be revamped, absolutely!! But making it a law is a great injustice to those that actually work for a living.

Last edited:
Well you're correct in questioning my definition of ethics. The real definition is: a set of principles adopted by an individual or group used to guide behavior.

But as a society, we don't adopt that definition, we have specified specific moral behavior. You can choose to be a moral relativist. I don't. I think, for example, that killing other people is wrong.

I think it's hilarious that you're not able to comment on the content of my post. Rather, you fling insults that have nothing to do with the content of what I said. Certainly doesn't speak well for the republican party. I hope you can engage life in a more mature manner. Good wishes,

Ian

May that's because some of us are really getting tired of continually repeating the same thing every day, 10 times a day to some of you. It does NO good....
You're not the first one to list all this crap as "proof" that the Republicans are such nasty mean people! :lol:

Ian

When you proudly exclaim that you are not interested in evidence or facts, you deserve no effort to comment on your post.

If you think I'm Republican based on my response to your drivel, you have once again, decided to abandon the facts.

There are pitfalls when trying to demonize your enemies, or those you disagree with. In this piece, I fall into all of them; I let my convictions and emotions paint the picture rather than the evidence.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical. Ethics is all about rightness of behavior, or interaction with those around us. Therefore, if your "ethic" is based on self-interest, it is not ethical at all; it doesn't account for your impact on others. Republicans are children who never grew up. I'm definitely not perfect, but I at least consider the impact of invading countries before millions die.

I've long thought about the essential difference between right and left, and if you hadn't figured it out: I'm on the left. Everyone is somewhere, even social scientists and political commentators. What is usually omitted is where they stand. I think that's important. In fact, I might advocate for mandatory admission of your party (for reporters).

Let's look at the issues, one by one, so that we can judge, on the merits of each, their ethics, rather than generalizing as is so often done.

Economy

Probably the issue that seduces the most left-leaners into the right fold, the economic philosophy of republicans is that 1) taxes suck, 2) government is the enemy of business people, and thus all people. This forgets the fact that almost all Americans work for either business people (rather than BEING business people) or the government, and thus would benefit from someone to keep business in check (with such regulations as no rape, no murder, no slavery, no child workers, no 120 hour weeks, no etc).

Health Care

If people get sick and don't have insurance, whether it's their fault or not (which, according to republicans, it probably is), they should die because they don't have the money to pay for treatment. Republicans don't want to pay for anyone else's anything. The world is hard, but it's better if we all come together. Imagine yourself without your family. Claiming your $100 a year is all fine and good, but saving the lives of countless others? To republicans: worthless. Why? Self-interest. Childishness.

Social Issues

Republicans: Jews are okay, but gays should be imprisoned. Gay marriage is a laughable proposition, because gay anything is sinful. If I don't understand it, it should be illegal.

Republicans are all about helping oneself. Democrats are about people helping each other. Sure, most republicans have good intentions and actually believe they're helping others by condemning them. But that's not all. Some are racist and even those who think they're doing good are actually doing bad because they don't understand that other people are beautiful, just like themselves. Being different is beautiful, just like being the same is. What's ugly is condemning, hating, and/or persecuting people. Don't forget, the right wing is the wing of slavery, naziism, war, Jim Crow, etc. Don't want to be in this category? Join those who love others besides themselves, on the left. Care about people besides yourself.

International Issues

Republicans: I'm afraid. The world might invade us. Terrorists might attack us. War sucks, but I don't mind it. Let's spend more than half of our budget on military, so that we have no money for teachers, health care, or anything else. Let's lay off teachers so we can invade countries thousands of miles away for the purpose of upsetting millions of people and causing them to attack us more. But if we have space missles, we can shoot all the people who hate us because we blow them out of existence. Awesome! It's like that explosion I saw on TV!

Conclusion

Ethical behavior, as your Mama (should have) taught you, is about how to behave in the world by considering others besides yourself. The republican ethic of the self is childish and, in my view, morally wrong because is considers only the self and not that of others. Christianity is strangely identified with the republican party, which further discredits christianity (it didn't need any more). My angry words don't mean that I devalue any person. I love every person ever born; however, if I were to sit idly by and let them rape the world, I'd be a bad person. Therefore, republicans, rethink your selfish ways and try thinking about other people.

Guess you've been hitting the Kool-aid real hard.

If you want to know how the right thinks ask somebody on the right. (You'd be surprised how wrong you are)

Last person you should ask is a lefty. They have plenty of reasons to make things up about their political opponents.

Don't believe the media or anyone from the Obama Administration, because they're just making up most of it. The only reason I say most of it is because there is some truth to it. The part about standing on your own two feet rather than expecting someone to support you.........that's true. The rest of it is total hog-wash.

We're dealing with folks that don't believe being honest about themselves or their competitors will get them anywhere, so they simply make shit up. They spin the facts in their favor. The result is we end up on the defensive when they should be defending their own actions.....or lack of action.

Last edited:
I don't claim to know what you or anyone else thinks. There are, of course, differences of opinion within any group. You, however, believe that I think republicans want people to die. That's ridiculous. I know there are good people in the republican party. I have several friends in the party. But it's clear to me that there's a lack of concern and/or understanding for the people who don't have health care. Systemically, it doesn't make any sense to continue the way we're going, because non-paying, bankrupt people add only to the cost of insurance! There are some things that government does badly. Certainly, the military is one of them. There are other things government does better than corporations. As Americans, we know nothing about this, but if you ask any German, French, British, or Canadian person, you'll learn that a public health system is far superior to one that only rich people can access. If you're a rich person, perhaps you won't care. But that's the point. You don't care because you have what you need. If you thought about others, you'd realize that there are millions of people who don't have what they need. AND that there are plenty of resources to provide them. The only argument against this is that you deserve it while poor starving children don't!!!

I don't claim to know what you or anyone else thinks. There are, of course, differences of opinion within any group. You, however, believe that I think republicans want people to die. That's ridiculous. I know there are good people in the republican party. I have several friends in the party. But it's clear to me that there's a lack of concern and/or understanding for the people who don't have health care. Systemically, it doesn't make any sense to continue the way we're going, because non-paying, bankrupt people add only to the cost of insurance! There are some things that government does badly. Certainly, the military is one of them. There are other things government does better than corporations. As Americans, we know nothing about this, but if you ask any German, French, British, or Canadian person, you'll learn that a public health system is far superior to one that only rich people can access. If you're a rich person, perhaps you won't care. But that's the point. You don't care because you have what you need. If you thought about others, you'd realize that there are millions of people who don't have what they need. AND that there are plenty of resources to provide them. The only argument against this is that you deserve it while poor starving children don't!!!

Health care was very affordable 35 years ago, before the insurance companies decided they could make lots of $ off people and the trial lawyers agreed.

Let's focus on loser pays all and see how fast liability insurance for the medical field drops.

Forum List

Back