Ethical Question - Muslim Friends

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Okay, I've got a few Muslim friends here in Vegas that I have known for 10 years. We have partied together a lot over the years (strip bars, home parties, night clubs, etc.) and overall they are really nice guys that I have a lot of fun with. Lately however, they have been hanging around this new group of Muslim guys that make me nervous. One guy last night is name Karim. He is Algerian and looks more like a Frenchman than the "stereotypical" Muslim. This Karim fella gives me the creeps. Last night he kept acting like he would have rathered that my wife and I not be there. We were only there because my banker (one of the Muslim friends I have known over 10 years) invited us to have some Happy Hour cocktails.

I guess lately I can't help but look at many of the Muslims I know or meet with a skeptical eye...

Just commenting cuz it has been bug'n me.

Well, I guess I need to pose a question...

Do any of you have Muslim friends? How do you feel around them these days?

Are you sure they are Muslim...I thought it was against Islam to drink alcohol,and my my strip clubs...did the strippers wear burkas?...Then again some of Saudis Royal Princes do partake when in Nevada especially in Lost Wages...I mean Vegas! If I remember correctly did not some of the 911 terrorist do the same while in training for the big day...kinda makes one wonder why they would want to destroy what they seem to enjoy... :scratch:

archangel said:
Are you sure they are Muslim...I thought it was against Islam to drink alcohol,and my my strip clubs...did the strippers wear burkas?...Then again some of Saudis Royal Princes do partake when in Nevada especially in Lost Wages...I mean Vegas! If I remember correctly did not some of the 911 terrorist do the same while in training for the big day...kinda makes one wonder why they would want to destroy what they seem to enjoy... :scratch:
Oh, I am sure they are Muslim... we were joking about it again last night... I tell em, they are "jack" Muslims (a play on the term, "jack" Mormons")....

Ali was joking last night, "hey, I don't eat pork!"

freeandfun1 said:
Okay, I've got a few Muslim friends here in Vegas that I have known for 10 years. We have partied together a lot over the years (strip bars, home parties, night clubs, etc.) and overall they are really nice guys that I have a lot of fun with. Lately however, they have been hanging around this new group of Muslim guys that make me nervous. One guy last night is name Karim. He is Algerian and looks more like a Frenchman than the "stereotypical" Muslim.

Algerians are of different racial stock than the "stereotypical" Muslim. They converted, or were converted later.

This Karim fella gives me the creeps. Last night he kept acting like he would have rathered that my wife and I not be there. We were only there because my banker (one of the Muslim friends I have known over 10 years) invited us to have some Happy Hour cocktails.

I guess lately I can't help but look at many of the Muslims I know or meet with a skeptical eye...

Just commenting cuz it has been bug'n me.

Well, I guess I need to pose a question...

Do any of you have Muslim friends? How do you feel around them these days?

Did your friend observe this? He should be the one to determine who's welcome or not in his home. If he tolerated that statement he's more concerned about his new friends than with you.

Algerians are of different racial stock than the "stereotypical" Muslim, so that's not unusual. They converted, or were converted later.

I'm just as comfortable around my Muslim friends, because they are modern people. They are probably less comfortable than in the past because they are being stereotyped.

nucular said:
If he tolerated that statement he's more concerned about his new friends than with you.
Not sure what statement you are referring to!

freeandfun1 said:
Not sure what statement you are referring to!

Sorry I thought he said he wished you and your wife weren't there, but I read again and that's just your impression. Anyway if he was rude to you and your wife that's not appropriate in your friends house.

nucular said:
Sorry I thought he said he wished you and your wife weren't there, but I read again and that's just your impression. Anyway if he was rude to you and your wife that's not appropriate in your friends house.
True. My friend didn't really know this guy either, so when I meet him at the bank on Monday, I *might* say something or at least inquire a bit more about the guy. Something just didn't seem right about him.

freeandfun1 said:
True. My friend didn't really know this guy either, so when I meet him at the bank on Monday, I *might* say something or at least inquire a bit more about the guy. Something just didn't seem right about him.

is not Las Vegas on the tactical nuke list along with NY,LA,DC etc...better dig a fall out shelter real fast dude! :terror: :bye1:

Perhaps the Algerian was merely uncomfortable around someone he didn't know. A lot of people are like that. Plus, he might have sensed some hostility, even if there was none. I am sure most Muslims are on guard these days. There are a lot of people around who would rather kill them than inquire if they are friendly or not.

No, I don't know any. Anaheim is not exactly an Islamic hotbed.

I don't know any Muslims. I don't want to know any Muslims. I don't want to learn anything about the Muslim ways. What little I know about Muslims I don't like. When I see one I don't, and am not, going to belittle him/her, just go about my business and let them go about theirs. I lump them into the same hate group as the kkk, aclu, and the naacp. And no, you are mot going to change my mind. My mindframe has been the same about Muslims for 60+ years, long before 911 and I am very comfortable with my opinion.

Merlin said:
I don't know any Muslims. I don't want to know any Muslims. I don't want to learn anything about the Muslim ways. What little I know about Muslims I don't like. When I see one I don't, and am not, going to belittle him/her, just go about my business and let them go about theirs. I lump them into the same hate group as the kkk, aclu, and the naacp. And no, you are mot going to change my mind. My mindframe has been the same about Muslims for 60+ years, long before 911 and I am very comfortable with my opinion.
Believe me, I hear ya! I knew Ali way before this 911, etc. and frankly, I didn't know he was Muslim until long after I met him (not usually a question you ask when you first meet somebody). I knew he was from Pakistan, but I also know a lot of Pakistanis that live here that are Christian - the reason they left Pakistan in the first place.

Anyway, I won't be hanging aound Ali all that much. We have known each other a long time and we are friends, but it isn't like we are *that* close... Yeah, he controls a lot in my life being my banker and all (lines of credit for my business, etc.) but hey, I can handle it! :laugh:

Forum List

Back