Ethical Dilemma

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
The Emiliano Sala dispute explained as Cardiff City dismiss claims

Cardiff City are dismissive of claims they could be docked Premier League points over the Emiliano Sala fee wrangle.

The Press Association, a national news agency, have reported a sports law expert making the suggestion if Cardiff do not honour the £15million fee owed to Nantes for the transfer.

They quote Zurich-based lawyer Gianpaolo Monteneri as warning the Bluebirds could be punished, saying: "This can be from an admonishment right up to a withdrawal of league points."

Emiliano Sala was an Argentine player who signed for Cardiff City a few weeks ago. he went back to Nantes to tie up his affairs an then flew back to Cardiff to start his new career.

Tragically his private jet crashed in the Channel and he never made it. His body was found earlier this week and the pilot is still missing.

The transfer fee for his move from Nantes FC to Cardiff was £15m. Whilst Emiliano was still missing Cardiff received a request from the French club for the first £5m installment on the transfer fee.

Should Cardiff pay up or should Nantes write the money off ? Sala has not been buried yet and the pilot is still in the sea somewhere.

What is the thing to do ?

This is not an ethical dilemna, it is a legal question. To find the answer, you would look at the contract and determine which party contracted to bear the risk of the soccer player dying during the transfer. There probably is a life insurance policy in place to take care of this contingency, at least, there should be.

Cardiff City are dismissive of claims they could be docked Premier League points over the Emiliano Sala fee wrangle.

The Press Association, a national news agency, have reported a sports law expert making the suggestion if Cardiff do not honour the £15million fee owed to Nantes for the transfer.

They quote Zurich-based lawyer Gianpaolo Monteneri as warning the Bluebirds could be punished, saying: "This can be from an admonishment right up to a withdrawal of league points."

Emiliano Sala was an Argentine player who signed for Cardiff City a few weeks ago. he went back to Nantes to tie up his affairs an then flew back to Cardiff to start his new career.

Tragically his private jet crashed in the Channel and he never made it. His body was found earlier this week and the pilot is still missing.

The transfer fee for his move from Nantes FC to Cardiff was £15m. Whilst Emiliano was still missing Cardiff received a request from the French club for the first £5m installment on the transfer fee.

Should Cardiff pay up or should Nantes write the money off ? Sala has not been buried yet and the pilot is still in the sea somewhere.

This very tragic situation, RIP Emiliano Sala and also the pilot who his body they do not find. Nantes should NOT want the moneys return to them, this is my opinion also I add WHY was Emiliano Sala in that terrible and unstable plane? He could or Cardiff could have paid for him to fly to Cardiff on an excellent plane and First Class in travel. The decision to go in that terrible and unstable plane was insane.

Nobody cares.

At least not anyone of any importance.

This since January has been a big news item on this Continent and also an not usual situation we do NOT in general have footballers going in CRAP two seat planes and in terrible weather and also that the plane disappear in January and ZERO until days ago it was a bizarro mystery.

This very tragic situation, RIP Emiliano Sala and also the pilot who his body they do not find. Nantes should NOT want the moneys return to them, this is my opinion also I add WHY was Emiliano Sala in that terrible and unstable plane? He could or Cardiff could have paid for him to fly to Cardiff on an excellent plane and First Class in travel. The decision to go in that terrible and unstable plane was insane.
I think that it could wait until they find the pilot. Nantes have been a bit quick off the mark but I can sort of understand their stress.

This is not an ethical dilemna, it is a legal question. To find the answer, you would look at the contract and determine which party contracted to bear the risk of the soccer player dying during the transfer. There probably is a life insurance policy in place to take care of this contingency, at least, there should be.
Legal and ethical concerns do not always cross over. It will get sorted in the courts eventually but I am not looking for a legal opinion.

Legal and ethical concerns do not always cross over. It will get sorted in the courts eventually but I am not looking for a legal opinion.
Ethicists will not decide the issue, lawyers will.

Ethicists will not decide the issue, lawyers will.
Yes, I have just stated that. But what is the right thing to do ?

Forum List

Back