Ethical Dilemma

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
So we have a few of us out on a liquid night around town.

Its nudging midnight and the vote is for food rather than a club.

So we adjourn to our favourite curry house and settle in for a spicy feast.

Anyway there is another party on the next table.

Middle aged blokes not too dissimilar to us.

And they seem to be as drunk as we are.

We order our food and some drinks and are soon munching on popadoms.

But the Guys on the next table are a bit loud and are starting to be obnoxious.

They are abusing the staff. Not overmuch to their faces but very much so behind their backs.

And its nothing to do with the quality of the food or ambience or service.

Its straight on anti islamic crap.

"Oi Mo - more lager here mate. Step on it and theres a virgin in it for ya"

Bombing jokes get rolled out as well.

Anyway at some point during this one of our party gets up,walks over and tells these muppets that they are out of line and that we dont want to hear it anymore.

Obviously we are expecting a ruck so everyone is now standing up.

But it doesnt happen.

These gobshites seem a bit embarrassed and look at the table muttering:

"Yeah,yeah, no problem mate, sorry if we have upset ya. Just banter innit."

And that was the end of it. They behaved themselves for the rest of the time they were in there.

They paid and left before us. No idea who they were or even where they were from. I am guessing that they all had employers who would frown on employees getting involved in fights over racist abuse.

Now here is the question.

Did we stifle their right to "free speech" ?

What would you have done ?

I look at it as they exercised their right to free speech, and your response was your right to free speech in commenting about their behavior.

They shut it down voluntarily. If you had beat the crap out of them to stop their loudmouth banter, then it would have been different.

So we have a few of us out on a liquid night around town.

Its nudging midnight and the vote is for food rather than a club.

So we adjourn to our favourite curry house and settle in for a spicy feast.

Anyway there is another party on the next table.

Middle aged blokes not too dissimilar to us.

And they seem to be as drunk as we are.

We order our food and some drinks and are soon munching on popadoms.

But the Guys on the next table are a bit loud and are starting to be obnoxious.

They are abusing the staff. Not overmuch to their faces but very much so behind their backs.

And its nothing to do with the quality of the food or ambience or service.

Its straight on anti islamic crap.

"Oi Mo - more lager here mate. Step on it and theres a virgin in it for ya"

Bombing jokes get rolled out as well.

Anyway at some point during this one of our party gets up,walks over and tells these muppets that they are out of line and that we dont want to hear it anymore.

Obviously we are expecting a ruck so everyone is now standing up.

But it doesnt happen.

These gobshites seem a bit embarrassed and look at the table muttering:

"Yeah,yeah, no problem mate, sorry if we have upset ya. Just banter innit."

And that was the end of it. They behaved themselves for the rest of the time they were in there.

They paid and left before us. No idea who they were or even where they were from. I am guessing that they all had employers who would frown on employees getting involved in fights over racist abuse.

Now here is the question.

Did we stifle their right to "free speech" ?

What would you have done ?
No self respecting Muslim would be serving alcohol

and that really wasn't a dilemma.

you really didn't have only two undesirable choices.

And IMO you should always mind your own business

I look at it as they exercised their right to free speech, and your response was your right to free speech in commenting about their behavior.

They shut it down voluntarily. If you had beat the crap out of them to stop their loudmouth banter, then it would have been different.
But they only shut up because of the threat. Is there a difference between the threat and an action ?

Well the choice was do something or not do something. Neither were really attractive. We just wanted a quiet meal.

But they only shut up because of the threat. Is there a difference between the threat and an action ?

You didn't say there was a threat. In your OP, you said that one of your guys walked over and told them their behavior was inappropriate and they needed to calm down. The only possible threat I could see from your OP was that all of you stood up.

And no, telling someone they are acting like an ass in public isn't limiting their speech, it's making them aware that they are being inappropriate.

Did you shout at them to behave or you'd kick their asses? If not, you're good IMHO.

Ladies and gentlemen, just so as you all know, none of what was described in the OP actually happened. After a few beers at home, alone, Tommy began fantasising over what it'd be like to 'confront' some boistrous right-wing types... before going upstairs for a pot noddle and a tearful wank.

I agree with BikerSailor. This isn't a free speech or ethical issue at all. Some guys were rowdy, when asked to cool it, they did. My only issue with this whole affair is trying to imagine being threatened by Tommy and a guy similar to him.

I agree with BikerSailor. This isn't a free speech or ethical issue at all. Some guys were rowdy, when asked them to cool it, they did. My only issue with this whole affair is trying to imagine being threatened by Tommy and a guy similar to him.

Glad I'm not the only one who can imagine Tommy rolling up the sleeves of his cardigan with a serious look on his face before tangling with some imaginary capitalists.

I agree with BikerSailor. This isn't a free speech or ethical issue at all. Some guys were rowdy, when asked to cool it, they did. My only issue with this whole affair is trying to imagine being threatened by Tommy and a guy similar to him.
It wasnt that they were rowdy.It was the specifics of what they were saying. And, make no mistake, I can be quite feisty when roused.

What a cute story. Tommy-girl's boyfriends stood up for Muslims that blow themselves up.

Well the choice was do something or not do something. Neither were really attractive. We just wanted a quiet meal.

Well at midnight after a pub crawling all night the only people out are going to be drunks so why would you think you could get a quiet meal?

Well at midnight after a pub crawling all night the only people out are going to be drunks so why would you think you could get a quiet meal?
Quiet as in "no rows".

Forum List

Back