Ethical Analogy Regarding Immigration

But In reality the dynamic is different. The tragedy is manmade, it is the corruption and cronyism of the mexican government which keeps the economy sufficiently underdeveloped and unable to accomodate the number of workers who need jobs. This could be solved with political will, but instead we enable it by taking the overflow of workers.

I think it's really a plan to drive down american wages. An NWO plot to destroy the american standard of living.

But In reality the dynamic is different. The tragedy is manmade, it is the corruption and cronyism of the mexican government which keeps the economy sufficiently underdeveloped and unable to accomodate the number of workers who need jobs. This could be solved with political will, but instead we enable it by taking the overflow of workers.

I think it's really a plan to drive down american wages. An NWO plot to destroy the american standard of living.

I'm not sure it was planned, but I know god damned well that some people take advantage of what has been happening.

But what I do think is planned is the Republican and Democratic Parties' refusal to get serious about ending this problem.

That bipartisan support of illegals is obvious to any of us paying attention to the legislation (or lack of it) which continues to encourage illegal immigrants to come here and stay here, too.

Absolutely....

I'm not sure we all see this from the same perspective, I know lawn companies that would die if they left, and lots of people who use them for day care, cleaning, and catering jobs. Look at the cleanup help in many restaurants. They actually contribute to the life style of the rich and famous and oddly you too.

I'm not sure we all see this from the same perspective, I know lawn companies that would die if they left, and lots of people who use them for day care, cleaning, and catering jobs. Look at the cleanup help in many restaurants. They actually contribute to the life style of the rich and famous and oddly you too.

And I know lawn companies that would thrive if they left. I also know maids that would keep their jobs and get paid more, I know caterers that would have more business, I know people who wouldn't have lost their job in day care and I know people who would still be working at Merry Maids and other such companies. More importantly, I know many, many construction workers, electricians, etc, that would still have jobs and would be paid a decent wage for those jobs.

I'd rather the rich and famous do more of their own asswiping and keep the middle class.

And I know lawn companies that would thrive if they left. I also know maids that would keep their jobs and get paid more, I know caterers that would have more business, I know people who wouldn't have lost their job in day care and I know people who would still be working at Merry Maids and other such companies. More importantly, I know many, many construction workers, electricians, etc, that would still have jobs and would be paid a decent wage for those jobs.

I don't disagree with you, but they can add value if legal, that's the tough part and many hire them because they owe them nothing when the day is over. But the solution is easy anyone who hires an illegal gets busted. No one will do that as they all benefit from cheap labor. Look at all the small businesses and people walmart has hurt and some even shop there still.

I don't disagree with you, but they can add value if legal, that's the tough part and many hire them because they owe them nothing when the day is over. But the solution is easy anyone who hires an illegal gets busted. No one will do that as they all benefit from cheap labor. Look at all the small businesses and people walmart has hurt and some even shop there still.

The best strategy is a closed border, enforced with the same enthusiasm with which we defend the borders of israel.

I thought about this Friday, reflecting back on all the closed businesses and residences with boarded up windows next door and across the street as far as I could see, as I waited in line in a local Burger King. And the folks that helped me, chatted away in Spanish to each other or on cell phones as Bert Bacharach played over the intercom. And in the background, popular Mexican Mariachi musica played for the workers. I live almost 900 miles away from the Mexican border. This conflict is absurd. It shouldn't be happening. But, here we are. The economy and illegal aliens are linked together. It is clear as day. They get work, they take over neighborhoods and some of you genius say that you have "information" it isn't happening. Pathetic. Some of you folks make me ashamed, not of just being American but of being a member of the same species as you. How can you people support this ...evil? And be so damned righteous and chipper and pedantic about it?

The relationship between the US and immigrants to this country is a mutually beneficial one. The US provides an environment that allows immigrants to achieve or at least aspire for a life that is far better than back home in their original countries. At the same time, the US needs these immigrants. At the low income level, no Americans will be willing to do the back breaking work of picking lettuce for minimum wage and no benefits. If they are, leave your families behind (like the immigrants do), move to the Central Valley in California, live in conditions like the immigrants to, and work for the wages like the immigrants do. I am sure the commercial farms will be more than happy to hire them. At the upper end of the income and educational spectrum, Asian immigrants get a greater proportion of graduate and post-graduate degrees than Americans do. The American educational system is bad and getting worse. So American graduates cannot compete against Asian immigrants who have a much stronger and rigorous educational background. If we keep Asian immigrants out, we lose out on our technical edge.

Having said all that, I do believe that illegal immigration should be curbed.

To the poster who used the lifeboat analogy - since we stole the lifeboat ourselves, we do not have clean hands when it comes to keep others from stealing.

The relationship between the US and immigrants to this country is a mutually beneficial one. The US provides an environment that allows immigrants to achieve or at least aspire for a life that is far better than back home in their original countries. At the same time, the US needs these immigrants. At the low income level, no Americans will be willing to do the back breaking work of picking lettuce for minimum wage and no benefits. If they are, leave your families behind (like the immigrants do), move to the Central Valley in California, live in conditions like the immigrants to, and work for the wages like the immigrants do. I am sure the commercial farms will be more than happy to hire them. At the upper end of the income and educational spectrum, Asian immigrants get a greater proportion of graduate and post-graduate degrees than Americans do. The American educational system is bad and getting worse. So American graduates cannot compete against Asian immigrants who have a much stronger and rigorous educational background. If we keep Asian immigrants out, we lose out on our technical edge.

Having said all that, I do believe that illegal immigration should be curbed.

To the poster who used the lifeboat analogy - since we stole the lifeboat ourselves, we do not have clean hands when it comes to keep others from stealing.

It's not beneficial if you lose your job to an immigrant.

The relationship between the US and immigrants to this country is a mutually beneficial one. (Yer kidding, when did this happen?) The US provides an environment that allows immigrants to achieve or at least aspire for a life that is far better than back home in their original countries. At the same time, (they can ignore local and international laws) the US needs these immigrants. (NEEDS? Again, were did you come up with this NEEDS Bullshit?) At the low income level, no Americans will be willing to do the back breaking work of picking lettuce for minimum wage and no benefits. If they are, leave your families behind (like the immigrants do), move to the Central Valley in California, live in conditions like the immigrants to, and work for the wages like the immigrants do. (While we are at it, let's just bring back slavery and be done with this crap, so cry me a river already.) I am sure the commercial farms will be more than happy to hire them. (slavery model is profitable, too, and...?) At the upper end of the income and educational spectrum, Asian immigrants get a greater proportion of graduate and post-graduate degrees than Americans do. (Do tell, do they sneak in here an steal PHD's? or do they have an ethic and honesty and EARN them?) The American educational system is bad and getting worse. (so work on improving it, maybe?) So American graduates cannot compete against Asian immigrants who have a much stronger and rigorous educational background. If we keep Asian immigrants out, we lose out on our technical edge.

Having said all that, I do believe that illegal immigration should be curbed. ( Well, Duh!)

To the poster who used the lifeboat analogy - since we stole the lifeboat (WE? We all don't share that guilt complex) ourselves, we do not have clean hands when it comes to keep others from stealing.

The utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer has constructed an interesting analogy for the purpose of illustrating the costs and benefits of accepting immigrants into another country. His scenario involves bullshit unrelated to the immigration issue, so feel free to ignore it.

Wow, that's darned insightful, Agnost, short and to the point. Ethics and illegal aliens go together like oil and water. Got it.

Forum List

Back