Ethanol Prices Falling: Agri Wants A Bailout

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
First the administration forces ethanol on everyone, the price of corn soars right along with gas. Seems making the damn stuff creates more greenhouse gases than it ever promised to save. Unintended consequence, people in third world had drastically less food, due to the diversion of corn to oil.

With the price of oil plummeting, these ah, producers are looking for their slice of the bailout $$$:

E85 Boondoggle of the Day: Bailouts for Ethanol Plants | The Truth About Cars

Find News by Subject
Home » News Blog » E85 » E85 Boondoggle of the Day: Bailouts for Ethanol Plants
E85 Boondoggle of the Day: Bailouts for Ethanol Plants

By Richard Chen
October 24, 2008 - 956 views

Ethanol producers are jockeying for a seat on the increasingly crowded bailout bandwagon. Just last Friday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer addressed the plight of those poor, poor businessmen who got locked into the cost of corn this summer. Just like oil and natural gas, the current price is half of what it was at its peak. Fierce competition and the economic downturn are contributing to thinning of their ranks. Schafer claims that “the ethanol industry is too important to the nation to allow it to go into more financial difficulty.” The USDA is prepared to provide bailouts loans of up to $25m– an offer which sparked a backlash from livestock producers. They’ve been whiplashed by the price of corn, first as it shot up thanks to ethanol production, then by taking long positions and taking a hit as corn prices plummeted. As usual, the customer is going to get the shaft: don’t expect much of a price break on your E85 or pork bellies anytime soon.

They must have balls the size of coconuts.

First, they hype the nonexistent benefits of ethanol.
Then, the mailed fist of government forces us to use the crap, driving up gas prices.
Third, they made record profits, while riots broke out in Mexico for a lack of cheap corn.
And now, after years of those record profits, they don't want to face the inevitable, which anyone could have foreseen.

Fuck you, Archer-Daniels Midland, and all you other government teat suckers. We need to dump all ethanol requirements, dump all corn subsidies, and drop sugar tariffs.

We'd have cheaper gas. Our beef would be less fatty, higher in omega-3 fats (the good fats), and there would be almost no antibiotics used (this is a consequence of feeding corn to a grass-eater). And our soft drinks would be sweetened with sugar, not this shitty godawful corn syrup.

Last edited:
They must have balls the size of coconuts.

First, they hype the nonexistent benefits of ethanol.
Then, the mailed fist of government forces us to use the crap, driving up gas prices.
Third, they made record profits, while riots broke out in Mexico for a lack of cheap corn.
And now, after years of those record profits, they don't want to face the inevitable, which anyone could have foreseen.

Fuck you, Archer-Daniels Midland, and all you other government teat suckers. We need to dump all ethanol requirements, dump all corn subsidies, and drop sugar tariffs.

We'd have cheaper gas. Our beef would be less fatty, higher in omega-3 fats (the good fats), and there would be almost no antibiotics used (this is a consequence of feeding corn to a grass-eater). And our soft drinks would be sweetened with sugar, not this shitty godawful corn syrup.

Bob Dole's favorite family farmer, you mean, Baron?

Bob Dole's favorite family farmer, you mean, Baron?

You are aware I assume, that Obama supports the Ethanol Lobby? He has done so ever since it emerged and he has been a State and then A federal Senator. He even met with them earlier this year to reaffirm his support.

Well, i am sick of all of these bail outs, are they ever gonna bail me out if i get in to financial troubles? What in the hell happened to the supposed free market...

the auto industry wants money too....along with the banks, the financial institutions, the insurance companies, the agri business...and small businesses are in line for a handout too... what the heck????

Do we pay taxes just to bail businesses out or to give businesses handouts? All because we are afraid of the free market it seems....scared we could lose jobs if they don't get our tax money...this is just ludicris!

care

Last edited:
You are aware I assume, that Obama supports the Ethanol Lobby? He has done so ever since it emerged and he has been a State and then A federal Senator. He even met with them earlier this year to reaffirm his support.

Yes, I've heard that.

Were you under the impression I think Obama is NOT a creature of the elite class that is destorying this nation?

Of course you were because you are a partisan...one of those "You're either with us or against us" partisan morons.

Yes, I've heard that.

Were you under the impression I think Obama is NOT a creature of the elite class that is destorying this nation?

Of course you were because you are a partisan...one of those "You're either with us or against us" partisan morons.

And yet you NEVER actually say it till forced to by someone pointing out you ONLY mentioned the republicans, GO FIGURE.

And yet you NEVER actually say it till forced to by someone pointing out you ONLY mentioned the republicans, GO FIGURE.

You really aren't paying attention, or you attention is somewhat limited, dude.

I am constantly pointing out that there is very little difference in either party when it comes to issues economic.

How the fuck do you keep missing that?

I'll tell you...you want to miss it.

They all have their hands out:

Companies start competing for bailout money - Yahoo! News

Companies start competing for bailout money
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer Martin Crutsinger, Ap Economics Writer Sun Oct 26, 4:25 am ET

WASHINGTON – The bailout is now the hottest lobbying game in town.

Insurers, automakers and American subsidiaries of foreign banks all want the Treasury Department to cut them a piece of the largest government rescue in U.S. history.

The betting is that many with their hands out will be successful, especially with financial markets in a stomach-churning dive and predictions the economy is about to tumble into a deep recession.

These groups argue that the credit squeeze is so severe and the risks to the economy so dire that their industries need financial support as well.

The Treasury is considering requests from a variety of industries, but has not decided whether to expand the program, officials said Saturday.

Lobbying efforts are intensifying....

Well of course Senator Obama supports the Ethanol Lobby, Illinois is the #2 corn producing state.

1. Iowa 2,368,350,000
    18.12%
  2. Illinois 2,283,750,000
    17.47%
  3. Nebraska 1,472,000,000
    11.26%
  4. Minnesota 1,138,800,000
    8.71%
  5. Indiana 987,350,000
    7.55%
  6. South Dakota 544,500,000
    4.16%