Ethanol & Obama: is this good news?

AtlasShrieked

Jun 12, 2008
Obama Camp Closely Linked With Ethanol
"only obama will tell the people the truth" susan rice

When VeraSun Energy...
Company Information

VeraSun Energy Corporation (VEC) is an ethanol producer in the United States. The Company focuses primarily on the production and sale of ethanol and its co-products. VEC owns and operates five ethanol production facilities in the United States, with a combined ethanol production capacity of 560 million gallons per year (MMGY). As of March 4, 2008, its ethanol production capacity represented approximately 7% of the total ethanol production capacity in the United States. In addition to producing ethanol, VEC produces and sells wet and dry distillers grains as ethanol co-products. During the year ending December 31, 2007, the Company produced approximately 376.1 million gallons of fuel ethanol and 1.2 million tons of distillers grains. On August 17, 2007, VEC acquired ASA OpCo Holdings, LLC. On March 31, 2008, VEC completed its merger with US BioEnergy Corporation.
...inaugurated a new ethanol processing plant last summer in Charles City, Iowa, some of that industry’s most prominent boosters showed up. Leaders of the National Corn Growers Association and the Renewable Fuels Association, for instance, came to help cut the ribbon — and so did Senator Barack Obama.

Mr. Obama is running as a reformer who is seeking to reduce the influence of special interests. But like any other politician, he has powerful constituencies that help shape his views. And when it comes to domestic ethanol, almost all of which is made from corn, he also has advisers and prominent supporters with close ties to the industry at a time when energy policy is a point of sharp contrast between the parties and their presidential candidates.

Why are we supposed to be surprised that people who want to run the whorehouse turn out to be whores?

Why are we supposed to be surprised that people who want to run the whorehouse turn out to be whores?

I don't think of the WH or government as a whore house.

are you a misanthropic troglodyte?

hmmmm, I thought you smelled familiar. gotta love that dirty water
:eek:

And the recent flooding will also hurt. I don't like Obama's support of Ethanol.

he can support it as far as I am concerned what bothers me is his lies about not being part of any special interests.

I have an intense dislike for populists of any stripe

are you a misanthropic troglodyte?

Like that is necessary to recognize that those seeking power are corrupt?

Hey I'll likely be voting for Obama, but I'm not starry-eyed enough to think that he hasn't whored his way into the position he find himself in.

NOBODY who is idealistic or incorruptable makes it very far in American politics, folks.

Anyone who is incorruptable is considered a loose cannon, and is quickly marginalized from real power.

Hey I'll likely be voting for Obama, but I'm not starry-eyed enough to think that he hasn't whored his way into the position he find himself in.

NOBODY who is idealistic or incorruptable makes it very far in American politics, folks.

Anyone who is incorruptable is considered a loose cannon, and is quickly marginalized from real power.

Hilter was idealistic. Just sayin...

Obama Camp Closely Linked With Ethanol
"only obama will tell the people the truth" susan rice

I don't get why are people still supporting ethanol as a replacement for gas. To grow corn requires massive amounts of fertilizers and insecticides, many of which contain petro chemicals. The run off polutes the water supply and the ocean.

Ethanol is a terrible source of fuelif it comes from corn. Might as well ferment grapes for ethanol, cause that's about how bad corn is. Plus, corn is highly consumed product already, both in feeding animals and humans. If we have some bug that hits corn partitulalry bad(or a FLOOD, hello?), we will be in deep.

Corn is terrible, soy is way better, and then sugar cane is way better than soy.

We need to start working on biologically engineering the jatropha plant for bigger nuts and a more temperate growing climate.

Corn for ethanol is a completely fraudulent idea ATM, though biofuels themselves are not.

Last edited:
joking, right? its one of the reasons corn has gone high. other than that, not much of an effect.

No joke corn is expensive these days….the local grocery store is selling ears of corn for $.89 EACH.

....I wonder how many ears it takes to make a $4 gallon of gas?

I've know a few seeking power and none were corrupt. I suppose a few became corrupt in the process and others became corrupted by the system, but that is a far cry from what you allege: that somehow those who seek power are already corrupt.

with attitudes like that people would never go into public service seeking to lead.

I disagree. I have seen people who were idealistic go far (depending on you one defines 'far') and I believe many pols are incorruptible. I think people are corruptible in certain circumstances but if all the pols were corrupted we'd be in a bigger mess. \
U think many are disillusioned by the process/system and have become corrupted in mind and spirit, but not corrupted in the ways you imply.

And I think people with idealized notions are considered loose cannons and don't go far because they are out of the mainstream and there are those who cannot sell the rest of us on their idealized visions and then there are those who irritate and insult because we do not see their genius.

No joke corn is expensive these days….the local grocery store is selling ears of corn for $.89 EACH.

....I wonder how many ears it takes to make a $4 gallon of gas?

you said ethanol production was the only reason corn prices have risen. that simply isnt true

Forum List

Back