Estes Park Elk... If you've been to my State, you know...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOaJ-wbMoRM&feature=sub]YouTube - Elk Rut in Estes Park, CRAZY & WILD[/ame]

^Classic Stuff...

I went to Camp St. Malo when I was a Kid and we did a Saturday Night in Estes if you were a (2) Weeker...

Elk are like Squirrels in Estes.

We probably go for a Drive through Estes and back into the region where Hunter Thompson blew his Clean Off, at least a couple of times a year.

The Wife and I Renewed our Vows here at the Church on the Rock at my Old Camp as a Matter of Fact:

St.-Malo-in-Winter-777434.jpg

It's where we Originally Intended to Marry, but a Winter Wedding there was not on the Agenda.

Anyway, enjoy the Video... And Visit Estes if you are ever in Colorado.

The Hotel that the Shining was Based on is also in Estes... The Stanley.

Where we would have had our Reception etc... Creepy, of course.

:)

peace...

Since this Thread there was a Fairly Bad Fire on the Main Drag in Estes... :(

The Wife and Kids and I enjoy Walking up there, and any Scar on that Town is Sad for Colorado...

peace...

I haven't been to Estas Park. Been in Leadville and the Arkansas River valley. Done a fair amount of hiking and rock hunting in the Collegiates. Explored aroung South Park, collected barite in South Park, and topaz in the mountains on the East side of South Park. Colorado and New Mexico are really the only two states I have considered living in other than Oregon. Both are beautiful with a wide variety of land forms and climates.

I intend to see a lot more of both in the future.

I haven't been to Estas Park. Been in Leadville and the Arkansas River valley. Done a fair amount of hiking and rock hunting in the Collegiates. Explored aroung South Park, collected barite in South Park, and topaz in the mountains on the East side of South Park. Colorado and New Mexico are really the only two states I have considered living in other than Oregon. Both are beautiful with a wide variety of land forms and climates.

I have Lived in this State for my Entire Life and still have More to Explore...

It's the Best State in the Union... IMO. ;)

peace...

Cool! I have been to Estes Park more times than I can count. That sounds like a great place to go next summer!

The Church on the Rock is Amazing...

The Pope stayed @ the Retreat during World Youth Day...

They took down my Camp Leading up to that Event... :(

But if they had not, my Wife and I would not have done a Retreat there and Renewed our Vows, so...

We still go about once a Year...

It's a Powerful Place...

The Wind comes in at Night, and it's Amazing that Structures Survive it.

peace...

peace...

Well, I might argue that, but not much. It certainly has a wider and more interesting variety of rocks than does Oregon.

My wife and I have been exploring Oregon for over 30 years, and have many places yet on the list. I cannot think of a single western state that one could truly explore in a lifetime. That is, a life time that also included time for work and family.

Last major trip, we explored some areas in the South Eastern part of Oregon, high desert. over 200 miles of two ruts with 18" sagebrush inbetween. We carried 30 gal. of water, and enough food for a week. Just good sense.

That trip also included a day on the Steens. If you are in Eastern Oregon with some time, be sure to check out the Steens Loop. One of the wonders of this nation.

peace...

Well, I might argue that, but not much. It certainly has a wider and more interesting variety of rocks than does Oregon.

My wife and I have been exploring Oregon for over 30 years, and have many places yet on the list. I cannot think of a single western state that one could truly explore in a lifetime. That is, a life time that also included time for work and family.

Last major trip, we explored some areas in the South Eastern part of Oregon, high desert. over 200 miles of two ruts with 18" sagebrush inbetween. We carried 30 gal. of water, and enough food for a week. Just good sense.

That trip also included a day on the Steens. If you are in Eastern Oregon with some time, be sure to check out the Steens Loop. One of the wonders of this nation.

Nice...

peace...

I found this post looking for an image of the Church of the Rock (on the rock) and noticed the misinformation about the building used for The Shining. It's actually in Oregon. It's called Timberline Lodge. The movie only used the outside of the structure for the film. The interior is somewhere else and looks nothing like the interior of the historic lodge. Perhaps it's the interior that's in Estes? Anyway I have a cool old photo of the church in Estes from 1942 but I can't find a way to post it.....

LMAO...what a terrific thread.

Mal, You're Spot on about the elks, and that church is beautiful.

Last time I was in Estes was for The Scottish and Irish Festival (October?). But I've been there to camp in RMNP, and take the kids on The Stanley Hotel's Ghost Tour. King actually stayed at the Stanley, and got the idea for The Shining. Jim Carry (I think) couldn't stay there.

Its a fantastic place to visit anytime, but I like summers because its cool compared to our home nearer to Boulder.

I've also hiked up Longs Peak, where I was sad to have to turn back at The Keyhole (about 1200 feet from the 14,000+ ft summit). This was especially embarassing because a distant relative of mine, for which a feature on the mountain is named, was a professional guide during the late 1800's.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
LMAO...what a terrific thread.

Mal, You're Spot on about the elks, and that church is beautiful.

Last time I was in Estes was for The Scottish and Irish Festival (October?). But I've been there to camp in RMNP, and take the kids on The Stanley Hotel's Ghost Tour. King actually stayed at the Stanley, and got the idea for The Shining. Jim Carry (I think) couldn't stay there.

Its a fantastic place to visit anytime, but I like summers because its cool compared to our home nearer to Boulder.

I've also hiked up Longs Peak, where I was sad to have to turn back at The Keyhole (about 1200 feet from the 14,000+ ft summit). This was especially embarassing because a distant relative of mine, for which a feature on the mountain is named, was a professional guide during the late 1800's.

Aside from my Cabin in Teller County, that is my Favorite place...

That and South Park for Camping... Jefferson Colorado... FUCK Fairplay!

peace...

First night I ever spent in CO was camping at Estes. I'd come up there and help eradicate your squirrels but it's TOO DAMN COLD.
Good video--thanks !

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
First night I ever spent in CO was camping at Estes. I'd come up there and help eradicate your squirrels but it's TOO DAMN COLD.
Good video--thanks !

WHAT?

You mean you didn't have a couple of wool socks, long underwear, and a wool shirt on when you went?

Texans.:cuckoo:

Good video--thanks !

WHAT?

You mean you didn't have a couple of wool socks, long underwear, and a wool shirt on when you went?

ya but it takes a couple of hours to put all that crap on only to discover you have to shovel your car out of a snowbank to get anywhere------:lol: My emegency brake froze while engaged on my truck one night. It was loads of fun climbing underneath it in sub zero weather. I'm glad y'all love it. :lol:
Yes--I'm a Texas wuss now who can golf in 106 degrees and love it.

Good video--thanks !

WHAT?

ya but it takes a couple of hours to put all that crap on only to discover you have to shovel your car out of a snowbank to get anywhere------:lol: My emegency brake froze while engaged on my truck one night. It was loads of fun climbing underneath it in sub zero weather. I'm glad y'all love it. :lol:
Yes--I'm a Texas wuss now who can golf in 106 degrees and love it.

PHHTTTT.....bullshit...="106 degrees and love it.".....you gotta be mentally altered, playing under Lake Travis, or riding around in the cart with a half-nekkid stripper from "Sugar's Caberet."

I'd need to be "all the above."

Don't feel bad....its taken me a couple of years to realise that you don't even leave your bedroom in the AM without "all that crap on." In fact, Most Texans don't even OWN that crap.

Nothing like waking up in Estes and watching the campers with the Texas License Plates walking around wearing 5 cotton T-shirts.:lol:

Forum List

Back