Essential Air Service - What is it and why do we need it?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
The truth is that we don't.

This is for everyone that insisted that I had no idea what the issues were in the recent FAA shutdown.

As a resident of Illinois, I'd never had any particular desire to fly from McCook, Nebraska, to Denver. But lately, I've been looking for an opportunity. Turns out the federal government is willing to pay me a handsome fee to do it. Oh, I wouldn't get the cash directly. But the Department of Transportation provides more than $2 million to subsidize that particular route, which works out to about $1,000 for every passenger. My fare, meanwhile, would be less than $150.
I could get an even bigger hand on the hop from Lewistown, Montana, to Billings—$1,343. But if I'm feeling the need for indulgence, there is nothing to beat the flight from Ely, Nevada, to Denver, for which Washington will kick in $3,720. For that sum, of course, it could buy me a perfectly functional used car.
These extravagances are part of the Essential Air Service initiative, which is part of the reason for the recent congressional impasse over a bill to keep the Federal Aviation Administration operating.

Flights from Nowhere - Reason Magazine

I think a good litmus test for spending cuts should be whether anyone actually notices or cares enough to riot after it's been cut. Cut and observe, no more chasing our tail in circles theorizing about whether it can be cut. Start from there with the small stuff first and work your way up.

Forum List

Back