Essay I Wrote

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
Just reposting an essay I wrote regarding illegal immigration here, as I like to get the greatest possible amount of commentary on this issue...It was originally written as a response in a debate, but it addresses many of the major points used by anti-immigration apologists. Share your thoughts if you're interested.

The reality of illegal immigration is that essentially all arguments against it lack intellectual merit or validity. I live in a border state, and I can see the benefits of all forms of immigration firsthand. The myths commonly cited against illegal immigration can be easily debunked.

So immigrants don’t pay taxes? They pay plenty of taxes. They pay sales taxes, gas taxes, and property taxes if they own a house. They pay all the taxes that anyone who works in the informal economy is required to pay. As for those who work in the formal economy, they use fake social security numbers (an act necessitated by their illegal status) and pay payroll, income, and Social Security taxes. They’re the only ones who get a raw deal, since they don’t receive any benefits. Studies have shown that legal immigrants and citizens use far more public services than illegal immigrants do. Furthermore, the members of an illegal immigrant household most likely to use public services are their children, who are naturalized American citizens. The only reason that illegal immigrants’ tax payments doesn’t match the amount of public benefits that they use is because of their impoverished economic condition and low salaries, which is directly caused by their illegal status, which prohibits them from seeking adequate forms of employment.

Studies have shown that immigrants’ salaries and tax payments drastically increase after they receive legal status. Hence, decriminalizing border crossing and granting amnesty to illegal immigrants in the U.S. would increase their salaries and thus their tax payments.

Or perhaps you think that they cause crime? Again, much of this can probably be directly linked to their impoverished status. Would illegal immigrants need to rob and steal if they had sufficient wages? We must acknowledge that no country or nation holds a monopoly on crime or criminals, and most illegal immigrants are among the most law abiding citizens one will encounter. Most are afraid of committing crimes because they fear that it would endanger their residency in the U.S. Furthermore, according to a 2005 report by the GAO, “We identified a population of 55,322 aliens that…had entered the country illegally and were still illegally in the country at the time of their incarceration in the country in federal or state prison or local jail during fiscal year 2003.”

Now about half of that number were incarcerated for either drug-related offenses (an authoritarian drug war benefits no one) or for simply being in the country illegally. Now these immigrants are less than 3 percent of the total prison population, which means that legal citizens and legal immigrants comprise 97 percent of the prison population. I’d say that immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes in some instances. A (Harvard) Kennedy School of Government study of men aged eighteen to forty found that immigrants were about one third less likely than legal citizens to be incarcerated in correctional institutions.

Does a prohibitive, police state policy towards immigrants reduce crime. If there are severe criminals amongst illegal immigrants, how can the law-abiding among them report the criminals when they would be deported for stepping forward?

But maybe you think that they all deserve punishment and deportation since they are all criminals who have broken the law. They have broken an unjust law. What they are obeying is a higher moral standard to provide for themselves and their families. Harriet Tubman broke the law. Rosa Parks broke the law. Susan B. Anthony broke the law. Martin Luther King Jr. broke the law. The Founding Fathers broke the law. But these people were in compliance with a higher moral standard than the government’s restrictive law, and they’re more morally upright than those who stood by and did nothing. We recognize many restrictions of the past as being unjust, and criminalization of immigration will be one of those things in the future.

I already addressed the claim about terrorism, and I think it unlikely that terrorists will sneak across the southern border. Have they ever done so, even though they easily could? No. The major international terrorist attack that we’ve encountered were the plane hijackings, and only four hijackers were in the country illegally. The attack could have been carried out without four people. The World Trade Center could have fallen entirely at the hands of legal immigrants and residents. And at any rate, those planes didn’t have to take off from inside the U.S. They could have taken off from anywhere and flown in and attacked those towers. Can a border ever be entirely secured? Maybe the land borders can, even at enormous cost and consequence. (And then there’s the fact that the 11 to 12 million illegal immigrants in the country wouldn’t be able to get back to their native lands.) But what of entry through air and sea ports? (Since the major international terrorist attack that I mentioned was an air-based attack.) And what of domestic, homegrown terrorism such as that of Timothy McVeigh? Instead of impractically stretching guards thinly across borders that they could not feasibly protect, it’s a far superior strategy to guard major targets efficiently. As I said, if a person has knowledge that a bank in a city will be robbed, he doesn’t spread the guards around the entire city with major entry points left unguarded; he has them tightly patrol the bank.

And if you really want to prevent Islamic terrorism against the United States, a good start would be modifying U.S. foreign policy to not aggravate Muslim radicals. Some policies that might promote this would be withdrawing unconditional support from the state of Israel. Muslims view the state of Israel as being in unjust control of Muslim lands and holy sites, and they see U.S. presence in the Middle East as a declaration of war, especially considering their distaste for what they view as the U.S.’s “decadent” culture. (Notice that Scandinavian countries were not attacked, despite the fact that their cultures are largely more “decadent” than American culture. This is because they don’t practice interventionist and intrusive foreign policy tactics.) U.S. leaders may also want to consider not interfering with foreign governments in the Middle East, even if they are interested in lucrative oil profits. If Prime Minister Mossadeq had remained in power in the 50’s, the Ayatollah and the mullahs might not be in power today.

Okay, I'll make like a teacher for you.. It would help I we knew the assignment, though.

The reality of illegal immigration is that essentially all arguments against it lack intellectual merit or validity.

Wow. that's going to be mighty hard to prove...even if it is true. You have already written yourself into a corner.

I live in a border state, and I can see the benefits of all forms of immigration firsthand. The myths commonly cited against illegal immigration can be easily debunked.

Okay, do so

So immigrants don’t pay taxes? They pay plenty of taxes. They pay sales taxes, gas taxes, and property taxes if they own a house. They pay all the taxes that anyone who works in the informal economy is required to pay.

Good point. It fails to address the question of whether the combined positive effects of they're being here exceed the social costs (and government costs) of them being here, but the point you do make has merit.

As for those who work in the formal economy, they use fake social security numbers (an act necessitated by their illegal status) and pay payroll, income, and Social Security taxes. They’re the only ones who get a raw deal, since they don’t receive any benefits.

True. Those not working in the underground economy definitely are helping the system and getting nothing back for it.

Studies have shown that legal immigrants and citizens use far more public services than illegal immigrants do.

Citing those studies would do much to strengthen your argument here.

Furthermore, the members of an illegal immigrant household most likely to use public services are their children, who are naturalized American citizens.

Assuming they were born here, yes.

The only reason that illegal immigrants’ tax payments doesn’t match the amount of public benefits that they use is because of their impoverished economic condition and low salaries,

Much like most citizens workers of this nation don't you mean? Quite right.

which is directly caused by their illegal status, which prohibits them from seeking adequate forms of employment.

Well...possibly true up to a point. You point presumes that if they had legal status they could get a job that pays a LOT more than they currently make and I am not at all sure that is true. EXPECIALLY given that most citizesn in the USA cannot find those better paying jobs, either, I mean.

Studies have shown that immigrants’ salaries and tax payments drastically increase after they receive legal status.

What studies? If this paper is for school, you need to document your declaritive points better than you do. Anybody can say anything, but providing supporting evidence to support those declarations is what scholars do.

Hence, decriminalizing border crossing and granting amnesty to illegal immigrants in the U.S. would increase their salaries and thus their tax payments.

Assuming that they can find better paying jobs, of course... a declarative statement that you haven't really proved.

Or perhaps you think that they cause crime? Again, much of this can probably be directly linked to their impoverished status. Would illegal immigrants need to rob and steal if they had sufficient wages?

Yes poverty and crime seem to go along. But you're actually making the case for exclusing them with the above.

We must acknowledge that no country or nation holds a monopoly on crime or criminals, and most illegal immigrants are among the most law abiding citizens one will encounter.

A statement of faith, based on what data?

Most are afraid of committing crimes because they fear that it would endanger their residency in the U.S. Furthermore, according to a 2005 report by the GAO, “We identified a population of 55,322 aliens that…had entered the country illegally and were still illegally in the country at the time of their incarceration in the country in federal or state prison or local jail during fiscal year 2003.”

You're supporting the antithesis of your original argument here, I think.

Now about half of that number were incarcerated for either drug-related offenses (an authoritarian drug war benefits no one) or for simply being in the country illegally.

Big difference in crimes. Needs further clarification

Now these immigrants are less than 3 percent of the total prison population, which means that legal citizens and legal immigrants comprise 97 percent of the prison population. I’d say that immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes in some instances. A (Harvard) Kennedy School of Government study of men aged eighteen to forty found that immigrants were about one third less likely than legal citizens to be incarcerated in correctional institutions.

Okay, at least you're beginnign to support you argument with some evidence to support it there.

Does a prohibitive, police state policy towards immigrants reduce crime. If there are severe criminals amongst illegal immigrants, how can the law-abiding among them report the criminals when they would be deported for stepping forward?

By dialing 911 just like citizens?

But maybe you think that they all deserve punishment and deportation since they are all criminals who have broken the law. They have broken an unjust law. What they are obeying is a higher moral standard to provide for themselves and their families.

Good point.

Harriet Tubman broke the law. Rosa Parks broke the law. Susan B. Anthony broke the law. Martin Luther King Jr. broke the law. The Founding Fathers broke the law. But these people were in compliance with a higher moral standard than the government’s restrictive law, and they’re more morally upright than those who stood by and did nothing.

Excellent points

We recognize many restrictions of the past as being unjust, and criminalization of immigration will be one of those things in the future.

We might.

I already addressed the claim about terrorism, and I think it unlikely that terrorists will sneak across the southern border. Have they ever done so, even though they easily could? No. The major international terrorist attack that we’ve encountered were the plane hijackings, and only four hijackers were in the country illegally. The attack could have been carried out without four people. The World Trade Center could have fallen entirely at the hands of legal immigrants and residents. And at any rate, those planes didn’t have to take off from inside the U.S. They could have taken off from anywhere and flown in and attacked those towers. Can a border ever be entirely secured? Maybe the land borders can, even at enormous cost and consequence. (And then there’s the fact that the 11 to 12 million illegal immigrants in the country wouldn’t be able to get back to their native lands.) But what of entry through air and sea ports? (Since the major international terrorist attack that I mentioned was an air-based attack.) And what of domestic, homegrown terrorism such as that of Timothy McVeigh? Instead of impractically stretching guards thinly across borders that they could not feasibly protect, it’s a far superior strategy to guard major targets efficiently. As I said, if a person has knowledge that a bank in a city will be robbed, he doesn’t spread the guards around the entire city with major entry points left unguarded; he has them tightly patrol the bank.

Interesting discussion but not really germane to the question of illegal immigration, I think.

And if you really want to prevent Islamic terrorism against the United States, a good start would be modifying U.S. foreign policy to not aggravate Muslim radicals. Some policies that might promote this would be withdrawing unconditional support from the state of Israel. Muslims view the state of Israel as being in unjust control of Muslim lands and holy sites, and they see U.S. presence in the Middle East as a declaration of war, especially considering their distaste for what they view as the U.S.’s “decadent” culture. (Notice that Scandinavian countries were not attacked, despite the fact that their cultures are largely more “decadent” than American culture. This is because they don’t practice interventionist and intrusive foreign policy tactics.) U.S. leaders may also want to consider not interfering with foreign governments in the Middle East, even if they are interested in lucrative oil profits. If Prime Minister Mossadeq had remained in power in the 50’s, the Ayatollah and the mullahs might not be in power today.

The above is a fascinating topic but it's not really about illegal immigration, is it?

If you're in high school, this is a pretty good paper.

You need to focus specifically on the topic at hand though.

You drifted off topic toward the end, because the question of illegal immigrants and terrorism are so marginally related that your paper lost its argumentative momentum.

• Banned
I'm unsure as to why you responded. You don't seem to have rebutted my post, only made odd and condescending remarks about this being a "high school paper."

Okay, I'll make like a teacher for you.. It would help I we knew the assignment, though.

If you're interested in knowing more about it, I'd advise you to study it.

Wow. that's going to be mighty hard to prove...even if it is true. You have already written yourself into a corner.

Not especially. If I had, you would have provided a compelling rebuttal to the essay. But you essentially didn't provide even one compelling rebuttal, merely advisories to cite sources, which I would have done on request anyway.

Okay, do so

I do believe I did.

Good point. It fails to address the question of whether the combined positive effects of they're being here exceed the social costs (and government costs) of them being here, but the point you do make has merit.

Individual points build themselves up together. Keep that in mind.

True. Those not working in the underground economy definitely are helping the system and getting nothing back for it.

That's true.

Citing those studies would do much to strengthen your argument here.

All you had to do was make a request for them. Ask, and you shall receive. :eusa_pray:

:razz:

The fact in question is affirmed by Stephen Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies.

The High Cost of Cheap Labor: Illegal Immigration and the Federal Budget

On average, the costs that illegal households impose on federal coffers are less than half that of other households, but their tax payments are only one-fourth that of other households.

(Incidentally, Camarota is opposed to amnesty for illegal immigrants, so he is not a biased source, at least in terms of bias in favor of illegal immigrants.)

But really now, these statements of yours are not rebuttals to my arguments. Considering that you say that I am a "sophist," I would have expected something a bit more...substantive.

Assuming they were born here, yes.

And the majority of them are, so it's not a leap of faith.

Much like most citizens workers of this nation don't you mean? Quite right.

No, to a greater extent than those citizen workers. The citizen workers are not directly disenfranchised by the state to the same extent.

Well...possibly true up to a point. You point presumes that if they had legal status they could get a job that pays a LOT more than they currently make and I am not at all sure that is true. EXPECIALLY given that most citizesn in the USA cannot find those better paying jobs, either, I mean.

They cannot, however, the fact of the matter is that legal immigrants and their descendants gradually earn greater incomes once they have gained full legitimacy in the formal economy.

Undocumented Immigrants in Georgia: Tax Contribution and Fiscal Concerns

The question lawmakers attempt to answer is: Do undocumented immigrants pay enough in taxes to cover the services used? For undocumented immigrants, the answer is unclear. However, for legal immigrants, studies have shown that first generation immigrants pay more in federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits. The same does not hold true for state taxes and services, however, as first generation immigrants often use more in services than they pay in taxes. However, the descendants of the first-generation immigrant correct that pattern and contribute more in taxes at both the federal and state level than they consume in services at both levels. Each generation successively contributes a greater share due to increased wages, language skills, and education.

What studies? If this paper is for school, you need to document your declaritive points better than you do. Anybody can say anything, but providing supporting evidence to support those declarations is what scholars do.

"For school?" What is this nonsense? Where do you get the idea that I'm in high school or wrote something "for school?"

Assuming that they can find better paying jobs, of course... a declarative statement that you haven't really proved.

See above.

Yes poverty and crime seem to go along. But you're actually making the case for exclusing them with the above.

No, I'm not. Criminalization of undocumented immigration is the current American policy. It is under that policy that crime and poverty rates among immigrants have skyrocketed. Is there a logical reason why amnesty, which would provide illegal immigrants with a legal status, (and thus permit them to access the aforementioned merits attainable through legal status), would not work?

A statement of faith, based on what data?

The majority of illegal immigrants are not interested in committing crimes, as it will endanger their residence in the U.S. This is simple common sense. Nonetheless, I believe the Harvard study I cited established that immigrants do not commit an egregious level of crimes compared to citizens.

You're supporting the antithesis of your original argument here, I think.

How so?

Big difference in crimes. Needs further clarification

Among men aged 18 to 40 in the U.S., immigrants are about a third less likely than the native-born to be incarcerated.

Okay, at least you're beginnign to support you argument with some evidence to support it there.

If you needed more, you could have just asked.

By dialing 911 just like citizens?

And getting arrested themselves for illegal residence?

Good point.

Why comment if you're not going to rebut?

Excellent points

We might.

Interesting discussion but not really germane to the question of illegal immigration, I think.

It's germane to the question of illegal immigration because the problem of terrorism is commonly cited as a rationale for border sealing.

The above is a fascinating topic but it's not really about illegal immigration, is it?

If you're in high school, this is a pretty good paper.

You need to focus specifically on the topic at hand though.

You drifted off topic toward the end, because the question of illegal immigrants and terrorism are so marginally related that your paper lost its argumentative momentum.

I'm not in high school, but thanks for the compliment.

The reason that the flow of the paper is interrupted is because it was originally a point-by-point response to another poster addressing common arguments, and I thought it could be utilized here.

I'm really not sure why you even bothered responding to what I wrote. It seemed that you offered no real criticisms, just vague dismissals on the basis of your assumption that this was a "high school paper." Seems quite condescending to me. I don't believe you've offered any compelling rebuttals.

Agnapostate wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------
So immigrants don’t pay taxes? They pay plenty of taxes.
------------------------------------------------------------

First your talking "illegal" immigrants, and now you are talking just immigrants. That is a Bait'nSwitch.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/900729-post59.html

I'm unsure as to why you responded. You don't seem to have rebutted my post, only made odd and condescending remarks about this being a "high school paper."

I didn't realize my role was to rebutt or to confirm your theories, either.

I assumed you wanted a critique of your paper as an argumentative essay.

I gave you the benefit of my thoughts on where its arguments failed and where I thought you were onto a line of reasoning that was supporting your argument.

I didn't mean for my comments to be condensending, I meant for them to be helpful so you could craft a stronger essay.

Critiquing essays like these is what I used to do for a living, after all.

Since your basic premise was the following:

The reality of illegal immigration is that essentially all arguments against it lack intellectual merit or validity.

I have to tell you that you failed to live up to your promise that you would show that all the arguments against illegla immigration lacked intellectualy merit and validity.

If you were a high school senior in my composition class, I'd have given you a gentleman's C for that paper.

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem
  • Banned
Since you did not post a single valid argument yourself, you are not in a position to claim that I have "failed to live up to my argument." If there is an argument that you believe I cannot sufficiently address, by all means, post it.

As you have posted nothing in the way of arguments, I shall assume that you cannot provide any.

I thought it presented the issue very well, although you're lacking all the sources.

The reasoning is correct, though. Of course, being illegal, their living standards suck. Imagine YOU had to cross that border, save money to pay the coyotes, get on a boat, or walk through the desert, possibly dying, getting defrauded, or shot at by hillbillies. It's not an experience you'd wanna have to go through again, or do for nothing. It's pretty clear that it's pretty desperate. With crime, even riskier- it must be a strong incentive. Reporting crime, it's too risky as well. The only reasonable solution is to raise the living standards of these people, and bring them out to pay taxes and becoming members of the formal economy. Gangs and crime are common everywhere with bad economic conditions and opportunities (i.e. slums in big cities or among underclasses).

It does have positive effects in the economic realm. What is the only incentive that companies have to hire illegals? That they'll work for the lowest wages and be unable to do anything about it (no unions, no nothing). If they're legal that incentive is gone, and they just become regular workers. The fact that the majority is young is also beneficial, as a young population is almost requisite for sustained social services. And it goes beyond the US, remittances account for a a huge percentage of some extremely poor countries' economies (regions of Mexico, and of course Guatemala, Salvador, Honduras, etc.) This is a very useful development tool because it puts money in the hands of people, and not organizations or governments. Ultimately, I think most would agree that development in the region is of not insignificant importance to the US in the long term. Everyone is pretty familiar with the Somali pirates now, well, a failed state has such effects. Failing states are not a pretty thing, and can turn out very expensive. And of course, it increases the market for goods, many of which are probably from the US anyway.

In Costa Rica we have a similar issue, the difference being that Nicaraguans come into Costa Rica to work legally or illegally. During the brutal rape of the country in the 80s there were as many as 500,000 around the place. I believe remittances from Costa Rica to Nicaragua are ultimately beneficial to us, as well. No country is an island, and protectionism is dead. The problem is the fact that what is marketed as free trade is not "free" at all. It's managed trade, with disproportionate benefits towards Capital, Technology, and Finance. It facilitates the movement of capital (what the rich have), but seeks to restrain the movement of labor (what poor people have). And the same policies usually go hand in hand with cutting social services- basically subsidizing private capital profit at the expense of the public. The only way that liberalized markets can work is with a strong and effective provision of services to "buffer" the impact of the market.

In Costa Rica we have a similar issue, the difference being that Nicaraguans come into Costa Rica to work legally or illegally. During the brutal rape of the country in the 80s there were as many as 500,000 around the place. I believe remittances from Costa Rica to Nicaragua are ultimately beneficial to us, as well. No country is an island, and protectionism is dead. The problem is the fact that what is marketed as free trade is not "free" at all. It's managed trade, with disproportionate benefits towards Capital, Technology, and Finance. It facilitates the movement of capital (what the rich have), but seeks to restrain the movement of labor (what poor people have). And the same policies usually go hand in hand with cutting social services- basically subsidizing private capital profit at the expense of the public. The only way that liberalized markets can work is with a strong and effective provision of services to "buffer" the impact of the market.

Exactly.

FREE TRADE is not remotely free.

Freeing capital to seek the best deal anywhere in the world does nothing but devalue labor worldwide.

How any American worker even remotely interested in this subject cannot see that obvious fact totally mystifies, me to be honest.

I don't care if you're a well paid worker making $250k a year or an $8 per hours clerk, our current free trade policies are not going to serve you well in the long run.

Since you did not post a single valid argument yourself, you are not in a position to claim that I have "failed to live up to my argument." If there is an argument that you believe I cannot sufficiently address, by all means, post it.

As you have posted nothing in the way of arguments, I shall assume that you cannot provide any.

You won't find me defending editec a lot, but in this case he his spot on. First of all in your original post you didn't A)tell us what kind of response you wanted and B) if you had it would be irrellevant as we have the freedom to respond to your post however we choose.

You wanted to share your essay, that implies that it was for a class of some type. As a person who has had a few papers graded up to the masters level, whether this paper was about illegal immigration or believing in space aliens, on a purely academic level you can't get away with this much past the 9th grade.

Editec critiqued it purely from an academic standpoint. that being the case whether one believes in your argument or not becomes irrelevant When you essentially say here is my ESSAY, tell me what you think, I probably would have responded in much the same way.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't realize that we had continued discussion of this topic, since I didn't get a thread notification. At any rate, my intent was to present an argument for providing amnesty to illegal immigrants in the same manner that other arguments are forwarded here. I do apologize if I was overly vague.

And yes, I did provide sources in my response, as I was willing to do upon request.

The reality of illegal immigration is that essentially all arguments against it lack intellectual merit or validity. I live in a border state, and I can see the benefits of all forms of immigration firsthand.
The first sentence is an opinion presented as fact.
The second sentence is an inconsequential fact presented as expertise.
Every thing after that tragic beginning is merely entertaining reading just as the Harry Potter series of books is entertaining reading.

Your failure to understand my response is an indication of your (lack) of ability.
Go blow your nose.

No_U_Turn.jpg

Really, post something rational or don't post anything.

Let's make this even simpler: if something is illegal, it is wrong by the law of that particular jurisdiction.

Let's make this even simpler: if something is illegal, it is wrong by the law of that particular jurisdiction.

That doesn't really say anything to its ethical wrongness, though. Aiding runaway slaves may have been illegal, for instance, but that doesn't make it ethically wrong. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Forum List

Back