ESPN Says There Should Be More Black Players IN MLB

I love baseball played it as a kid.

Hated it as a kid. Too few opportunities to legally hurt others.

You a Saints fan? :lol:

Heh. :razz:

Personally I don't see how any fair minded sports fan can support the NFL until they start hiring more black kickers and punters. Alas, another failure of community outreach. To my knowledge, Cincinnati has never hosted midnight kick/punt a football. Damn shame.

Last edited:
When I first moved down to the South, I read that something like 3% of all MLB players were black. I asked a born and bred Southern black guy why. His response was because baseball is seen cracker, redneck sport in the black community. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I had no inkling this was how baseball is viewed.

I really don't see what else could be done.

I also don't see why it matters...it is what it is.

Didn't all players have a 42 on their back today in honor of Jackie Robinson?

well, I'd say 50 years or so ( and I believe today marks it as well) since Jackie broke the barrier.....( and larry Doby a few months later in the AL) they may need to get with the prgm. 20 years ago it was hi8saopncis if I recall...now?

... saying MLB should do a better job of promoting baseball in the city to young black kids.

WTF?

Well, the MLB is only about 8.5% black, as opposed to the NFL which is 65% black or the NBA which is 80% black, or the USA which is 12.6% black

And you think that is because there is less opportunity in baseball for blacks?

Seems to me that most young black athletes of baseball playing size migrate more towards playing football as defensive backs and wide receivers or basketball as guards and small forwards. Should there be more? There sure COULD be but that's MLB's fault for not attracting these young athletes to their sport. There are plenty of kids who take another path who could make it to the bigs. Baseball needs to capture that audience if they want that to happen because right now they are losing out to football and basketball.

The low percentage of Native Americans in the NBA is absolutely appalling.

Affirmative action must be taken to ensure a greater number of Native American players in the NBA!

Or in the NFL, for that matter.

There MUST be justice and equality!!!

Forum List

Back