Escaping Christianity

I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.
Your loss, not mine. God said that Life was never meant to be easy, and follow him and love him, and you will get the greatest gift ever given by god. Go look into your children's eyes again, and tell me that there was no intelligent design in their creation, that it was all luck of the dice.

It wasn't. Now what? Follow your God?
So you believe that your children was just a random act?

Pray to your God that the company where I work will have funds to pay me on payday.

Pray to your God that the car I drive starts up every day next week.

Pray to your God that President Trump is not assassinated this week.

Pray to your God that my local supermarket still has canned soup in stock.

If your God can answer these prayers then I will reconsider my atheistic position and totally turn my life back to Christ Jesus.
You're looking for a genie, not your Creator

I found my creators. I even found their creators. I even found the creators of my creators' creators. After that I lost track. I know who some of them were but it is all heresay from reliable sources. I am a grown up now and do not need my creators to care for me anymore. Besides. I know where they are. Why should I be looking for my creators?

Ask your wife where she was when the fertilized egg was traveling down her Fallopian tube, and how exactly it was she got it to implant just so in her uterus. For that matter. Ask her how she constructed all her ovum while she was yet in her mother's womb.

See what you come up with.

The Bible gl
You know you're going to hell, right?

No. I am not sure about about any of the hell stuff.

Just poking you buddy. I had a similar situation, and if I had a nickel for each time I was told I was going to hell, I would have a lot of nickels.

I kind of worry that I will lose all my friends and have to start all over. My entire social circle is Christian. Most of them will either be freaked out or pretend to be freaked out because they don't know what else to do. I have already talked to my wife. She isn't going anywhere. My kids are growing up soon anyways. I could lose them just because of the progress of time. My life will likely become worse but pretending to be perfect does some good but some harm. The harm it does to my quality of life outweighs the benefits I get from living a lie. I may keep pretending for a while longer just to make things easier. Who knows?

So you're going to "keep pretending just to make things easier".

that makes you a coward. From my perspective, it makes you the wolf among sheep. You know that, right?

It WILL get sussed out. And THAT will make you lose your friends.
I don’t believe in god but occasionally go to church. No one knows I think it’s all a total scam.

No sense making enemies over this.

It’s like calling a gay in 1960 a coward for staying in the closet. Fuck you. It’s not safe to come out.

Oh sweetie. I knew you think it's a total scam.

Pray to your God that the company where I work will have funds to pay me on payday.

If your God can answer these prayers then I will reconsider my atheistic position and totally turn my life back to Christ Jesus.

Worthless prayer and obnoxious prayer requests are my least favorite traditions in my religious atmosphere. If there is no genie, why do we do that stupid nonesense?
You really dont see your problem do you?

God is not with you because you have separated yourself from Him.

You don't worship a GOD, you want a genie. You don't stand in AWE of God because you don't really understand Him. Yet you "teach" others.

I hope you can figure this out. Living as a hypocrite doesn't help you.

I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.

So you're going to teach the Bible for an entire year feeling it to be a lie? That's not honest. You need to resign right now.

Does your wife know about all this?
Many priests teach the Bible knowing it’s a lie. They think it does people good.

I have considering going that route myself. I think people benefit from knowing Christian principles. They are even more useful if you believe them to be divine or holy. Just because someone believes Christianity is the best philosophy ever known to mankind doesn't obligate them to discard it.

I think a nonbeliever would make a better pastor than someone who teaches out of obligation. The nonbeliever who values the Bible will be more energetic than the burden believer.

Sadly, you have never even been saved. You don't understand that when you are saved, serving is not a burden.

It's very sad, but it happens.

Worthless prayer and obnoxious prayer requests are my least favorite traditions in my religious atmosphere. If there is no genie, why do we do that stupid nonesense?

Looks at God like a "genie"

This person is entrusted with teaching children about God

We have serious, very serious problems in Christianity. But as my kids say, "we been knew that". heh

I totally don't think He is a genie. Many people in my tradition have prayer. 90+% of the prayer requests are about medical issues. It is nauseating. God answers 0% of those prayers. It is stupid. I am like you. I don't believe God answers prayers at all like some mythical genie. That is where you and I agree. Prayer is the most retarded thing you can do.

I found my creators. I even found their creators. I even found the creators of my creators' creators. After that I lost track. I know who some of them were but it is all heresay from reliable sources. I am a grown up now and do not need my creators to care for me anymore. Besides. I know where they are. Why should I be looking for my creators?

Ask your wife where she was when the fertilized egg was traveling down her Fallopian tube, and how exactly it was she got it to implant just so in her uterus. For that matter. Ask her how she constructed all her ovum while she was yet in her mother's womb.

See what you come up with.
Turns out it’s the same answer even if you ask a monkey. What’s your point?

We have serious, very serious problems in Christianity. But as my kids say, "we been knew that". heh

I totally don't think He is a genie. Many people in my tradition have prayer. 90+% of the prayer requests are about medical issues. It is nauseating. God answers 0% of those prayers. It is stupid. I am like you. I don't believe God answers prayers at all like some mythical genie. That is where you and I agree. Prayer is the most retarded thing you can do.

Honest question.

Have you ever been through a serious medical issue?

90+% of the prayer requests are about medical issues. It is nauseating
"It's nauseating" is what's in your heart when people ask for prayer when they're going thru a medical crisis?

I dont know whether to be sad or angry! Still, you're oblivious and blind to the problem here!

Do you know what "prayer" is?

Your loss, not mine. God said that Life was never meant to be easy, and follow him and love him, and you will get the greatest gift ever given by god. Go look into your children's eyes again, and tell me that there was no intelligent design in their creation, that it was all luck of the dice.

Nope. Now that we have that out of the way, why does that obligate me to participate in your particular religion? There is absolutely zero connection in believing in creationism and any particular religion.

So. I will accept you premise as fact just to see you squirm at my challenge for you to make a valid point.

Nope. Now that we have that out of the way, why does that obligate me to participate in your particular religion? There is absolutely zero connection in believing in creationism and any particular religion.

So. I will accept you premise as fact just to see you squirm at my challenge for you to make a valid point.
I agree, religion is mans making, not God. I never said anything about Catholics, Hindu's, Muslims, I said God.

You show stunning immaturity for a 40 year old man with children. Really? Since you hesitate to answer, I"m going to guess you have ZERO experience with real, physical, unremitting pain, or illness, or disease. Well, I do. It beats you down. You learn a lot too, about grace and faith.

So don't be so arrogant. "Retarded". Really? God forbid you have to live like that--or your children.

You show stunning immaturity for a 40 year old man with children. Really? Since you hesitate to answer, I"m going to guess you have ZERO experience with real, physical, unremitting pain, or illness, or disease. Well, I do. It beats you down. You learn a lot too, about grace and faith.

So don't be so arrogant. "Retarded". Really? God forbid you have to live like that--or your children.

We have visible doctors where I live. They actually help people. A large percentage of those visible doctors are atheists too. God doesn't cure anybody. He never has. Be honest. You know this.

We have visible doctors where I live. They actually help people. A large percentage of those visible doctors are atheists too. God doesn't cure anybody. He never has. Be honest. You know this.
Do you think those doctors arent using their God given talent to make people better?

I don't treat God like a genie. A lot of Christians I know do treat Him like a genie. On the other hand I know some Christian's that keep their medical issues private until the process is over.

There is no reason to punish others with knowledge of your illnesses. Doctors are trained to help with such issues. The average layperson can do nothing for you but feel bad. How in the potato chips does me feeling bad benefit a person with cancer?

Yes. I am very immature but my logic is sound. Me feeling bad about someone's medical need hurts me but doesn't help anybody. Prove me wrong.

God has answered many of my prayers and I've witnessed Him answering others.

I suspect this is a flame thread, you dont seem to have the first clue what you're talking about

Do you think those doctors arent using their God given talent to make people better?

Nope. It takes 8+ years to become a doctor. They earn these skills Don't discredit the medical profession. They deserve praise and recognition. Your God deserves jack squat until He actually does something. Anything. Anything. Honestly. Anything.

God has answered many of my prayers and I've witnessed Him answering others.

I suspect this is a flame thread, you dont seem to have the first clue what you're talking about

I was talking about the prayers of other people. I wasn't talking about your prayers. Yours are the good kind. It was the bad prayers that I was referencing.

Forum List

Back