Erskine Bowles - Ryan budget is “sensible … honest, serious”

Trajan...the author of the OP, calls Romney a "phony". Ryan's place on the ticket is inconsequential as a result.

Did you know that as Clinton's Chief of Staff: "One of Bowles's major responsibilities was dealing with federal budget negotiations between the White House and Congress."? (from wiki)

He was also co-chair of President Barack Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. What is interesting is that he was chosen by Obama to review options and propose ways to reel-in our troublesome debt and deficit spending. His conclusion seems to be that Obama is kicking the can down the road, and that Ryan is trying to do the right thing...and doing it very well.

Why not deal with what Bowles said?

In fact, the video maker cut out the part of the speech where Bowles calls the Wisconsin congressman's 2011 plan for Medicare "pretty radical." (See below for a more complete audio.)

Republicans rather focus on these quotes in the clip: "I'm telling you, this guy is amazing," Bowles says of Ryan. "I always thought I was OK with arithmetic, this guy can run circles around me."

"The budget he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan," he continued. "It is a sensible, straightforward, honest, serious budget ..."

The whole speech is not posted, just clips, so it's hard to tell the complete context of Bowles words. Case in point: later in the speech, Bowles went point-by-point comparing the plan drafted by the deficit commission he co-chaired to Ryan's proposal.

What's cut from the video is Bowles discussion of making Medicare a defined contribution plan, instead of a defined benefit plan. "We thought that was a pretty radical change," Bowles said. "And what we said is lets test it in the federal employees health care plan and see if it works. What we would rather do is we cut spending in the health care programs by about $450 billion. And our hope was ... we wouldn't have to do something more drastic like Paul had recommended or a something more drastic like a single payer plan."

Listen to all Bowles thoughts on Ryan's plan here. And get the audio of Bowles' full speech

Read more here: Updated: Bowles once praised Paul Ryan, but called Medicare changes 'pretty radical' | newsobserver.com projects

and I guess democrats would rather focus on the 'radical' term , so whats your point?

thats why I noted to watch the whole clip in my op, he goes on to say too he doesn't agree with all of Ryans fixes and ideas....and I am willing to bet bowles definition of radical doesn't jibe with nor does it carry the same context when say obama uses that term.

Did you know that as Clinton's Chief of Staff: "One of Bowles's major responsibilities was dealing with federal budget negotiations between the White House and Congress."? (from wiki)

He was also co-chair of President Barack Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. What is interesting is that he was chosen by Obama to review options and propose ways to reel-in our troublesome debt and deficit spending. His conclusion seems to be that Obama is kicking the can down the road, and that Ryan is trying to do the right thing...and doing it very well.

Bowels said the President wants to cut the deficit by 2 Trillion dollars. It doesn't fit into the Romney Narrative.

Bowels said Ryan wants to cut it by 4 Trillion. We know how he wants to get there as well...do away with entitlements as we know them.

Whether or not Ryan will get to do that by serving a "phony" is a matter of debate I suppose but do you really know where the Governor will be on any topic the next time he opens his mouth?

a) the president said so himself but hes done exactly the reverse.

b) Medicare will not change for anyone over 55 whenever if ever that takes effect.

c) Romney is a flip flopper, no doubt, thats why I said it and I have said it since then too.

so, lets check your intellectual honesty- is obama a flip flopper?

yea, I thought so. :rolleyes:

Trajan...the author of the OP, calls Romney a "phony". Ryan's place on the ticket is inconsequential as a result.

Bowels said the President wants to cut the deficit by 2 Trillion dollars. It doesn't fit into the Romney Narrative.

Bowels said Ryan wants to cut it by 4 Trillion. We know how he wants to get there as well...do away with entitlements as we know them.

Whether or not Ryan will get to do that by serving a "phony" is a matter of debate I suppose but do you really know where the Governor will be on any topic the next time he opens his mouth?

No shit???? So genus how are you going to control the budget and make those programs solvent? Just let em stay the course?

Obama also offered spending cut plan of 4 trillion, and the Pubs ran for the hills. FOS as always. Romney's budget plan alludes to cutting the debt starting in 2035, and would be a disaster for everyone but the rich. Their reality is complaining about the 500 billion Obama wants to cut from Medicare (ADVANTAGE!!, a failed Pub scam), which is also in THEIR plan!!

Oblivious Greedy Idiot Millionnaires 2012!!

Did Erskine Bowles take into account the savings of Obamacare (proven by Romneycare) on Medicare? NOT!

I know, let's cut taxes on the bloated rich, destroy Medicare and health reform, raise taxes and fees on the nonrich, let corporate cheats run wild, cut aid to states and localities, raise military spending to more than the rest of the world combined, and worry about the debt in 2035. Absolute idiocy, dupes.

In fact, the video maker cut out the part of the speech where Bowles calls the Wisconsin congressman's 2011 plan for Medicare "pretty radical." (See below for a more complete audio.)

Republicans rather focus on these quotes in the clip: "I'm telling you, this guy is amazing," Bowles says of Ryan. "I always thought I was OK with arithmetic, this guy can run circles around me."

"The budget he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan," he continued. "It is a sensible, straightforward, honest, serious budget ..."

The whole speech is not posted, just clips, so it's hard to tell the complete context of Bowles words. Case in point: later in the speech, Bowles went point-by-point comparing the plan drafted by the deficit commission he co-chaired to Ryan's proposal.

What's cut from the video is Bowles discussion of making Medicare a defined contribution plan, instead of a defined benefit plan. "We thought that was a pretty radical change," Bowles said. "And what we said is lets test it in the federal employees health care plan and see if it works. What we would rather do is we cut spending in the health care programs by about $450 billion. And our hope was ... we wouldn't have to do something more drastic like Paul had recommended or a something more drastic like a single payer plan."

Listen to all Bowles thoughts on Ryan's plan here. And get the audio of Bowles' full speech

Read more here: Updated: Bowles once praised Paul Ryan, but called Medicare changes 'pretty radical' | newsobserver.com projects

See this is actually an example of where context IMPOVES the dialog, unlike the OBama you didnt build that speech (context made it look even worse)
It is radical, and there is nothing wrong with that, as for the bold piece, I agree, lets get the feds on that PRONTO!

The entire speech is in the OP. Bowles begins talking about the three budgets at about 35:30. He begins with Ryan's plan, contrasts it with his plan, and then closes with Obama's plan. That ends around 41:00.

Bowles said that if cutting spending by $450 billion, which means cutting benefits, in the federal employee healthcare system didn't work by lowering health care cost growth by GDP plus one percent, then they would have to give serious consideration to Ryan's plan.

He also states that Ryan's block grant Medicaid plan is being tested in some states, and is successful. Other states are now asking to participate.

He also states no one took Obama's plan seriously.

Obama's "heavily back-end loaded" plan is typical of Obama. Obama is putting the heavy costs of his social programs well into the future, long after he has departed the scene and laughing his ass off on the golf course. He will need heavy Secret Service protection in his retirement when the bills come due to the taxpayers.

Obama's plan is an unmitigated disaster.

the video goes on, Bowles doesn't love everything Ryan wants to do and thats fine, but he agrees hes serious and its certainly worth hashing out, as Ryan has been with Democratic senator Ron Wyden.

Have you not heard? This is a non issue. Romney has specifically stated he is "not running on the Ryan Budget" That too he has tossed under the bus.

Makes you wonder why he picked Ryan. It begins to appear to be a sucker punch to the base.

Oh well, they have been being sucker punched for 50 years.

That's because one doesn't run on a budget. One runs on issues... except, apparently, your messiah... who thinks lying about the other guy is gonna help him "win".

The entire speech is in the OP. Bowles begins talking about the three budgets at about 35:30. He begins with Ryan's plan, contrasts it with his plan, and then closes with Obama's plan. That ends around 41:00.

Bowles said that if cutting spending by $450 billion, which means cutting benefits, in the federal employee healthcare system didn't work by lowering health care cost growth by GDP plus one percent, then they would have to give serious consideration to Ryan's plan.

He also states that Ryan's block grant Medicaid plan is being tested in some states, and is successful. Other states are now asking to participate.

He also states no one took Obama's plan seriously.

Obama's "heavily back-end loaded" plan is typical of Obama. Obama is putting the heavy costs of his social programs well into the future, long after he has departed the scene and laughing his ass off on the golf course. He will need heavy Secret Service protection in his retirement when the bills come due to the taxpayers.

Obama's plan is an unmitigated disaster.

yup and the CLASS ACT was supposed to be one of the cash cows that would collect money now and not have to pay till later, one of the funding devices used to make obamacare appear budget neutral.

b) Medicare will not change for anyone over 55 whenever if ever that takes effect.

c) Romney is a flip flopper, no doubt, thats why I said it and I have said it since then too.

a) Yes..and you trust the "phony" to deliver? Ahh..I see.

I would use the term "liar" on some topics to describe the President; not "flip flopper". A flip-flopper tells you what you want to hear. The President has just flushed past statements down the toilet. Where it was politically expedient, he's definitely shaved the truth--as I have said so in the past. See his pledge to use public money only in 2008.

When he has lied; it was injurous to his own side more than it was to garner support from the other however. It wasn't for political expediency; more for pragmatic deals.

I would use the term "liar" on some topics to describe the President; not "flip flopper". A flip-flopper tells you what you want to hear. The President has just flushed past statements down the toilet. Where it was politically expedient, he's definitely shaved the truth--as I have said so in the past. See his pledge to use public money only in 2008.

When he has lied; it was injurous to his own side more than it was to garner support from the other however. It wasn't for political expediency; more for pragmatic deals.

I would trust ryan, I am not sure of Romney...you want me to say it 10 more times? you seem to respond logically minus insults, so lets have a civil discussion and please stop putting words in my mouth.

so, is Romney a flip flopper or liar? :eusa_eh:

The CBO says the Pub plan for Medicare WOULD affect EVEN the "uneffected"...

how about a link there big boy!

Sure- you're totally duped YA KNOW- The GOP will continue to absolutely SCREW the non rich and America. Sig PP1 and last.

Ryan's Plan Would Detrimentally Affect Today's Seniors. Conservative media have argued that Ryan's plan has no effect on people 55 or over. In fact, Ryan's budget would raise the cost of health care for today's seniors by forcing them to pay thousands of dollars more for prescription drugs, creating a voucher system that would drive health care costs higher, and sharply cutting Medicaid, a program heavily utilized by seniors. [Media Matters, 8/13/12]

For more on the Ryan budget's effect on Medicare, click here and here.

Ryan's Medicaid Cuts Would End Health Insurance Coverage For Millions
Krugman: "14 Million Is The Minimum Number Of People Who Would Lose Health Insurance" From Ryan's Medicaid Cuts. In his New York Times blog, economist Paul Krugman wrote that Ryan budget's cuts to Medicaid would cause millions to lose health insurance:

14 million is the minimum number of people who would lose health insurance due to Medicaid cuts -- the Urban Institute, working off the very similar plan Ryan unveiled last year, puts it at between 14 and 27 million people losing Medicaid.

That's a lot of people -- and a lot of suffering. [The New York Times, The Conscience of a Liberal, 4/6/12]

CBPP: Ryan's Plan To Convert Medicaid To Block Grants Would Cut The Program By 22 Percent In 10 Years. A post on CBPP's Off the Charts blog stated that the Ryan budget's proposal to restructure Medicaid into block grants "would add tens of millions of Americans to the ranks of the uninsured." The post also said that Ryan's plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion "means that 17 million" more people would not receive health insurance. The post continued:

The block grant would cut federal Medicaid spending by $810 billion over the next ten years (2013-2022). That would be a cut of about 22 percent compared to current law. (This doesn't count the loss of the large additional funding that states would receive to expand Medicaid under health reform.)

I would trust ryan, I am not sure of Romney...you want me to say it 10 more times? you seem to respond logically minus insults, so lets have a civil discussion and please stop putting words in my mouth.

so, is Romney a flip flopper or liar? :eusa_eh:

You called him a "phony", I'll be happy to stick with that. Why you're voting for someone you dubbed a "phony" is your business I suppose.

Ryan's Plan Would Detrimentally Affect Today's Seniors. Conservative media have argued that Ryan's plan has no effect on people 55 or over. In fact, Ryan's budget would raise the cost of health care for today's seniors by forcing them to pay thousands of dollars more for prescription drugs, creating a voucher system that would drive health care costs higher, and sharply cutting Medicaid, a program heavily utilized by seniors. [Media Matters, 8/13/12]

AND whatever else the lying swine could think of, dupes...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back