Error In Google Maps Triggers Invasion

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Google officials have apologized and promised to fix a flaw in a map that exacerbated a territorial dispute and triggered a Central American invasion. "We determined that there was indeed an error," said a statement from Google after a Nicaraguan commander used the flawed map as justification for last week's incursion into Costa Rica. The erroneous map showed more territory belonging to Nicaragua than actually exists, according to US State Department maps of the area. When Costa Rica complained that Nicaraguan troops were encamped in their nation, Nicaragua's commander pointed to Google's map during a newspaper interview to prove he had done nothing wrong, and refused to move the soldiers.

Google Maps Mistake Triggers Invasion - Nicaragua uses border goof to justify incursion into Costa Rica

Now how weird is this? I wonder what happens if you google yourself and get no responses these days -- do you become invisible?

WTF is the Google motto? "It's our world -- you just live in it."?

Your thoughts?

When I try to find my house on google maps or on other internet maps they are always wrong. The roads are labeled according to how far they are from the center of the county. The software takes the road with the same designation like 100 South and follows it till it ends or gets to the right address like 350 East. In my case the 100 South road ends and then starts up again 5 miles further east. The software cannot get past where the road ends. So anyone googling my address will always end up 6 miles west of where I live. Had this happen a few times with deliveries, instead of following the road signs they use google maps and have to end up calling me for directions.

Just another indication of how lost many people would be without their gadgets.

Forum List

Back