Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

What I find most interesting is that it's Republicans who are pushing for strict voter ID laws - not Democrats.

Well, think about it, who has the most to lose by preventing voter fraud?

Duh, what voter fraud?

The voter fraud the laws are designed to prevent. You know, the type where someone can walk up claim to be you and vote in your place without anyone verifying that they are you.

yet, for some reason a number of you want people to be able to do that. Why?

Get the ID's
People have known about this for a year now...
If you can't get the paperwork done in a year then
you don't get to vote....

It really is that simple

No, retard, it ain't that simple!

Actually, it is. There may be some long lines at the DMV, but I don't think any of them are more than a day. There is no law preventing US citizens from getting an official state ID. Though the republicans are doing this for prejudicial reasons, there is actually no block preventing people from doing this, and no block preventing any citizen from voting. It is the right thing to do, but the wrong reason driving racist republicans.

It has also been pointed out to me that a number of southern elderly were put off from IDs because you needed to register for the draft so they have learned to live without them, would also be prevented from voting for not having IDs. These are mainly elderly white republicans. I did not know a lot of white older people did this, but stupid is clearly not limited to the younger republicons.

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.
More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Tell us why we should listen to Holder? I'm sorry hard to listen to someone who has no respect for the law and our Constitution.
Holder has made certain 10 Most lists. Judicial Watch

Get the ID's
People have known about this for a year now...
If you can't get the paperwork done in a year then
you don't get to vote....

It really is that simple

Actually, it is. There may be some long lines at the DMV, but I don't think any of them are more than a day. There is no law preventing US citizens from getting an official state ID. Though the republicans are doing this for prejudicial reasons, there is actually no block preventing people from doing this, and no block preventing any citizen from voting. It is the right thing to do, but the wrong reason driving racist republicans.

It has also been pointed out to me that a number of southern elderly were put off from IDs because you needed to register for the draft so they have learned to live without them, would also be prevented from voting for not having IDs. These are mainly elderly white republicans. I did not know a lot of white older people did this, but stupid is clearly not limited to the younger republicons.

Much of your posts I enjoy - but not this one. Do some more credible research...

I have never seen a program for free state IDs, but a state non-driver ID from the DMV which is your state photo ID is only a couple of dollars.

I am surprised the republicans are rallying around this because they have to know it fucks them on voter fraud also. Both sides do it, I am not stupid enough to think it is only one side.

But if it takes hate of Obama to have the republicans shoot themselves in the foot and make voter fraud harder on them, then go go Obama. I have to agree with the idea of having people identify themselves with a photo ID. It would also be good to get some computers into the voting areas so they can scan those IDs to make sure they correspond with state records. This would eliminate deceased voting, and make it really hard to forge IDs for voting purposes. I would imagine it would also make it much easier to catch people with fake IDs trying to vote, and we can charge them with a number of crimes including identity theft.

I am sorry a few people are too fucking lazy to get an ID, but they really need a kick in the ass to get with the program.

How young are you that you don't realize that Republicans having been trying to get voter I.D laws in place for the last ten years? It has nothing to do with Obama and everything to do with making sure that elections are fair.

Keep up the lies. Reps are not doing this to make anything fair. They commit voter fraud too, and this makes it harder for them. They simply want to do what they can to limit the poor who are most likely to vote for Obama from voting for him. If you really think the republicans are the party of honesty and truth you are the one who needs to step into reality.

Oh, and during the Bush years the only people worried about voter fraud were the dems, and we all know he won due to fraud in florida.

Hmm. So I was wrong. You're not so much young as just stupid. Do a little history on voter I.D. laws and then come back and tell me which party proposed the legislation and which party fought like banshees against it. And you might want to go back earlier in this thread and read your own post where you supported voted I.D.

Holder is a fucking lying cocksucker who needs to turn himself in for his role in the murder of Brian Terry

Brian Terry's family speaks out.

It's not a happy story. The Justice Department issued guns to terroristic drug lords, Officer Terry was killed by them, then the family was not treated very well at all, being between the lies of the Justice Department and their sorrow over losing their exemplary son.

Not a happy story at all.

Tell us why we should listen to Holder? I'm sorry hard to listen to someone who has no respect for the law and our Constitution.
Holder has made certain 10 Most lists. Judicial Watch

Judicial Watch? Holy shit, that's like info from Hannity, Limbaugh, or Beck.
You know that is a false story. They rode President Bush like a bronco for 8 years, and the list I linked to, I hold you responsible for knowing 3 are Republicans, 7 are Democrats.

Judicial Watch is not looking at party line. They're looking at performance and wrongdoing by top people in the government, and what they find leads wherever there are people abdicating responsibility, committing egregious injustice, expropriating or gifting wrongfully to the worsening of the American public.

They're right on target. Your handlers are telling you to hit anything that has an R in front of it and soften anything with a D in front of it.

That's not what America is about. That's too much partisan hubris. We need to get incompetent or even obstructive public servants out of office, because instead of serving the public, they're advancing only themselves to the demise of people like Officer Brian Terry, who is 6 feet under thanks to Fast and Furious.

Much of your posts I enjoy - but not this one. Do some more credible research...

So anyone who doesnt agree with you needs to do some research? Even if they agree with most of what you have to say?

Did you ever stop and consider that you could be wrong and that maybe you need to do some research?

Hundreds of billions of taxpayer money down the drain on failed companies by this President and congress. Unemployment actually over 10% or even higher. More people than ever on food stamps (welfare), and all the dems can do is demonize Romney. The Demonrat party is in the crapper, big time.

Oh are you fucking kidding me with that bullshit? The first kid on the site does not want to vote absentee while in college? Well fuckwit you don't reside in your college district when you asre in a temporary college dorm, so no you cannot fuck up the districting system you twat. Either take a bus home or get an absentee ballot. Seriously, the3 next time i go back to the carolinas i am finding that worthless slug and kicking his ass back to his house to show him just how much of a worthless lazy fuck he really is. He is the problem with college students today.

Then there was the old people who said they might not be able to find their damned drivers license? Why do these bed ridden crippled old fucks have a driver's license to begin with. Anyway, that is a different problem, but learn to keep track of your ID. you are 1 billion year old and i think you might have learned something in your many centuries of existence, and one of those things might be that your ID matters.

Those are not reasons, those are shitty excuses. Let us say I forgot my ID when buying some alcohol or tobacco, it is tough shit on me. Are you telling me that it should be more hassel to identify myself to buy a beer or some smokes than to vote for one of the most powerful leaders of the free world? The first one is not even a reason, the kid wants to vote in a place he doesn't even reside. Why don't you just bus voters from deep red or blue states with no competition to battleground states because lazy little college turd can't be bothered with an absentee ballot?

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Holder is a Fraud, was, is, will continue to be. He is a disgrace to his Office.

You are telling us there are supposed road blocks that stop people from getting their state ID. I don't see any roadblocks. Even the site you pointed out does not show that any of those people cannot get ID.

There is nothing I know of that stops a legal US citizen from getting a state ID. In SC I can do it in an hour. If the DMV is not active i can do it in a lot less than that. Yes, i actually have to reside in the state, but there is no stopping me. If they can do that in the back woods of SC then they can do it anywhere. They certainly were not stopping blacks, poor, or hispanics from doing it. Hell they even had multilingual agents for people who do not speak english to help them fill out the forms.

Oh, and don't think liking some of the things I say will make me overlook poorly supported bullshit arguments. You have not posted a single reason aside from lazy that people cannot get an ID.

You are telling us there are supposed road blocks that stop people from getting their state ID. I don't see any roadblocks. Even the site you pointed out does not show that any of those people cannot get ID.

There is nothing I know of that stops a legal US citizen from getting a state ID. In SC I can do it in an hour. If the DMV is not active i can do it in a lot less than that. Yes, i actually have to reside in the state, but there is no stopping me. If they can do that in the back woods of SC then they can do it anywhere. They certainly were not stopping blacks, poor, or hispanics from doing it. Hell they even had multilingual agents for people who do not speak english to help them fill out the forms.

Oh, and don't think liking some of the things I say will make me overlook poorly supported bullshit arguments. You have not posted a single reason aside from lazy that people cannot get an ID.

Many many moons ago, I was living in downtown Minneapolis. The nearest DMV ( the only place to get a state ID at the time ) was a three hour bus ride away. I worked every morning and went to school every night monday through friday. There was absolutely no time for me to go get my state issued ID. I went without one for nearly two years.

That being said...

Get out the vote drives could always change their tactics and start driving people to where they need to get the IDs. Yes voter ID will make it harder to vote, Yes, its a tactic being used by the NeoCons to disenfranchise voters that will most likely NOT vote for them, that doesnt mean we should whine about it and pretend the solution isnt damned easy to see.

I actually had to ask some of my online friends who are of the elderly age or in hospital care due to debilitating illnesses that would keep them from getting out to vote or get ID. Interestingly enough it seems that people who are hospitalized in special care facilities are helped to vote by the facility who will help them get absentee ballots or will bus those who can stand to wait on line to the local voting place, and help them to maintain their IDs for the purposes that thy will need them for.

Maybe all do not do this, but it seems many will even if they are cheap run places that rely on state money to help those who are poor.

Forum List

Back