Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

What I find most interesting is that it's Republicans who are pushing for strict voter ID laws - not Democrats.

When Edward and Mary Weidenbener went to vote in Indiana's primary in May, they didn't realize that state law required them to bring government photo IDs such as a driver's license or passport.
The husband and wife, both approaching 90 years old, had to use a temporary ballot that would be verified later, even though they knew the people working the polling site that day. Unaware that Indiana law obligated them to follow up with the county election board, the Weidenbeners ultimately had their votes rejected — news to them until informed recently by an Associated Press reporter.
Edward Weidenbener, a World War II veteran who had voted for Mitt Romney in the Republican presidential contest, said he was surprised by the rules and the consequences.
"A lot of people don't have a photo ID. They'll be automatically disenfranchised," he said.
As more states put in place strict voter ID rules, an AP review of temporary ballots from Indiana and Georgia, which first adopted the most stringent standards, found that more than 1,200 such votes were tossed during the 2008 general election.

The Associated Press: Many voters may be deterred by tough ID laws

:( :(

That's so fucking sad.

No ID = no Vote

Because the Democrat's motto of "Vote Early and Vote Often" applies to Corpses and Illegal Aliens, alike
:eusa_hand:

Is that what Karl Rove told you? He's the expert on rigging elections.

I'm from Florida, remember?

Karl ain't got shit on Kat Harris
:lol:

Damn, you got that right.

WitchKatherineHarris.jpg

And as I'm pretty sure everybody here knows - not everybody who is eligible to vote and may be disenfranchised is on SS, SSD or SSI.

In other words, there is not enough voter fraud to justify this shit.

Did you miss the first "2 words"?

You believe absentee ballot is going to be the way to go? I don't.

It's a legitimate alternative for the very few that have a hard time obtaining a photo ID.

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Tell us why we should listen to Holder? I'm sorry hard to listen to someone who has no respect for the law and our Constitution.

Because the Democrat's motto of "Vote Early and Vote Often" applies to Corpses and Illegal Aliens, alike
:eusa_hand:

Is that what Karl Rove told you? He's the expert on rigging elections.

I'm from Florida, remember?

Karl ain't got shit on Kat Harris
:lol:

Here in Tennessee, the dead used to rise from their graves to vote for the Ford family in Memphis. Our voter I.D laws changed that. :)

I am pretty sure that is already done.

I have never seen a program for free state IDs, but a state non-driver ID from the DMV which is your state photo ID is only a couple of dollars.

I am surprised the republicans are rallying around this because they have to know it fucks them on voter fraud also. Both sides do it, I am not stupid enough to think it is only one side.

But if it takes hate of Obama to have the republicans shoot themselves in the foot and make voter fraud harder on them, then go go Obama. I have to agree with the idea of having people identify themselves with a photo ID. It would also be good to get some computers into the voting areas so they can scan those IDs to make sure they correspond with state records. This would eliminate deceased voting, and make it really hard to forge IDs for voting purposes. I would imagine it would also make it much easier to catch people with fake IDs trying to vote, and we can charge them with a number of crimes including identity theft.

I am sorry a few people are too fucking lazy to get an ID, but they really need a kick in the ass to get with the program.

How young are you that you don't realize that Republicans having been trying to get voter I.D laws in place for the last ten years? It has nothing to do with Obama and everything to do with making sure that elections are fair.

Keep up the lies. Reps are not doing this to make anything fair. They commit voter fraud too, and this makes it harder for them. They simply want to do what they can to limit the poor who are most likely to vote for Obama from voting for him. If you really think the republicans are the party of honesty and truth you are the one who needs to step into reality.

Oh, and during the Bush years the only people worried about voter fraud were the dems, and we all know he won due to fraud in florida.

Salt, CONs always CLAIM they are willing to give their lives for this country, yet they resent paying any $$$$; odd priorities.

Not odd at all. People have no problem sacrificing themselves for their neighbors. That's called love. They don't, however, like getting robbed or watching their neighbors get robbed.

You believe this nation s a criminal conspiracy? I disagree. And sacrifice for one's neighbors includes blood but NOT money? Not a clear statement, though I do find your quotes from Brigham Young inspiring. LDS are an excellent example of faith based charity, and equality, regardless of wealth.

Again, people dont have a problem sacrificing themselves. They dont have a problem sacrificing their money. They don't like getting robbed.

I know there are alot of you that dont seem to understand that charity has to be given willingly and not taken by force. If it's taken by force, it's not charity. The Gospel of Christ teaches us to give willingly of ourselves. It doesn't tell us to take from our neighbor. In fact, we are commanded "Thou shalt not steal."

It is completely contrary to the Gospel to advocate for taking from others for charity. Charity cannot be forced. Charity is the pure love of Christ and Christ's love is not forced but voluntary and willing. There is no sacrifice if a "gift" isnt given willingly. We are not edified and blessed by it, nor do those who recieve recieve it with gratitude.

For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.

For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness.

For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God.

And likewise also is it counted evil unto a man, if he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.

Wherefore, a man being evil cannot do that which is good; neither will he give a good gift. (Moroni 7:6-10)

We need to stop being generous with that which belongs to others. Instead, we need to humble ourselves, live within our means, and give generously of our own accord. When we do that the Spirit of the Lord will bless our lives and our communities and miracles will happen.

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Tell us why we should listen to Holder? I'm sorry hard to listen to someone who has no respect for the law and our Constitution.

So, judging by your avatar, you're obviously a registered genius - so please explain to us how Holder "has no respect for the law and our Constitution"...

Forum List

Back