Equifax Security Breach - what you should do

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Equifax just got hacked.

Have you been hacked? What to do after the Equifax data theft - The Boston Globe

That's really bad news. It's probably the worst data breach, anywhere, ever. Equifax has _everything_ on you. Name, SSN, date of birth, addresses, old addresses, what credit lines you have, spouse, children, mother's maiden name, previous addresses, phone numbers, cars owned ... they have it. And now it's possible the hacker has it too.

What does that mean? Use your imagination. The hacker can now, for example, take out credit lines in your name.

Now, you can contact Equifax and ask them if your info was breached. However, Equifax has shown themselves to be a bunch of idiots. Do you want to trust them? Better to just assume the hacker has your data now.

What everyone should do, now, if you haven't done it already, is freeze all of your credit agency reports. That's not freezing your credit. It will have no affect on your accounts. It will not affect your credit score. It just prevents the credit agencies from giving out your credit report to anyone. That makes it much harder for anyone to use your data to open an account. Not impossible, but more difficult, and it's better than doing nothing. It's something you should do anyways, unless you know you'll need to open a new credit account somewhere soon. And there's even a benefit -- you'll stop getting new credit offers in the mail.

Here's where to go to put in your freeze at the big 3.

Equifax;
Equifax | PersonalIDInfo

Experian:
Experian - Add a security freeze

TransUnion:
TransUnion

Last edited:
OT:
The Equifax breach is one of those things whereby having poor credit and no money is, in some ways, to one's advantage. LOL

Whatever you do, do NOT accept Equifax's "free" offer!!!!!!!

Equifax Is Trying To Make Money Off Its Massive Security Failure | HuffPost
The credit monitoring company that let criminals steal personal information pertaining to nearly half the U.S. population is offering free credit monitoring to those affected ― but there’s a catch.

Victims of the Equifax security breach who sign up for the company’s “complementary” service will only get one free year. After that, unless they proactively cancel, they may have to pay. The terms of use say customers must have internet access and a credit or debit card to sign up.

“We will not bill You until the free trial period has expired and provided that You have not yet cancelled your trial membership,” say the terms, dated Sept. 6. “In the event that You wish to continue Your membership beyond the trial period, do nothing and Your membership will automatically continue without interruption and We will begin billing You via the payment source You provided when you signed up for the free trial.”

Robert Weissman, president of the consumer watchdog Public Citizen, said, “It appears that the company thinks one of the worst data breaches in history is a marketing opportunity. Instead of trying to rip people off with new hidden charges and trick consumers to give up their rights it might be a better idea to actually remedy the harm.”

Last edited:
21462709_10155101283928869_9121925814991542386_n.png

In my view? You get what you deserve. Where you place your value is what rots your soul in the end. :lmao:

dee22-worship-golden-calf.jpg

ccc57b6a675c3fc92bbf568197d6ffee.jpg

I went to the site entered the info and was told that Equifax would get in touch with me, that was last week, still no word.....I'll be joining the lawsuit to get that five dollar off voucher for future Equifax services on security features..

Has anyone actually been hurt?
Give it time.

So, no?
How would I know if it's already started? What, are you in the market for data?

I simply asked a question. Why are you getting so defensive?
A joke is now being defensive? Someone's being touchy and it ain't on this keyboard.......... Well, figuratively speaking..........

Forum List

Back