Equality?

It has always seemed to me that most successful businessmen have found a way to become wealthy from someone else's hard work.

You say that like it's a bad thing, typical leftwing liberal crap, bashing success. They took a chance. They risked their investment, their time, their own hard work. They give someone else a job, what's so bad about that? Those people got paid, did they not? They have the choice to quit and go into business for themselves, no? Who's fault is it if they don't have the ambition, the drive to succeed, the guts to try? How many employees put in the time and effort that the boss does? You tell me, what kind of country would this be if millions of businessmen didn't try to get wealthy from someone else's hard work.

I hope your business decisions are better than your assumptions.

We have an all volunteer Army, nobody got forced into military service. For sure that guy is way underpaid, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with what a CEO makes.

Yeah? You mean that draft notice they sent me was just a joke?

I don't think any active duty member was sent a draft notice. Nor has anyone currently serving been forced to reenlist or denied separation once their service obligation has been met. So, your point is moot, irrelevant, and somewhat ridiculous in the 1st place. We ain't talking about Vietnam, this is 2013 bub.

You say that like it's a bad thing, typical leftwing liberal crap, bashing success. They took a chance. They risked their investment, their time, their own hard work. They give someone else a job, what's so bad about that? Those people got paid, did they not? They have the choice to quit and go into business for themselves, no? Who's fault is it if they don't have the ambition, the drive to succeed, the guts to try? How many employees put in the time and effort that the boss does? You tell me, what kind of country would this be if millions of businessmen didn't try to get wealthy from someone else's hard work.

We have an all volunteer Army, nobody got forced into military service. For sure that guy is way underpaid, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with what a CEO makes.

I don't think any active duty member was sent a draft notice. Nor has anyone currently serving been forced to reenlist or denied separation once their service obligation has been met. So, your point is moot, irrelevant, and somewhat ridiculous in the 1st place. We ain't talking about Vietnam, this is 2013 bub.
While I don't agree with 9th's position, the underlined statement is false.

Stop loss was enacted fairly recently for the army and I know of a few that were caught up in that. Of course, this really has nothing to do with the premise of the op though. Just can't let misinformation stay out there.

"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there, good for you. But, I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn’t have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory and hire someone to protect against this because of the work the rest of us did. Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea. God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along." Elizabeth Warren
And this is a great lie that Warren and her leftist followers like to repeat over and over and...

Look, the fact remains that almost HALF the country does not pay federal income tax and of the taxes they do pay, they pay a far lesser share than the rich. Those factory owners DO pay for those roads, far more than the worker that uses that road to get to work in the first place. That factory owner also paid that worker for the work that he accomplished. He paid a free man a pre-negotiated amount for a set amount of work. That man got exactly what he asked for and gave what he promised to give in return for that pay. Only in a twisted mind does the owner now owe the worker something more because the owners work paid off as well. You never hear about how the worker needs to pay because the owner looses everything. The worker does not want that type of responsibility.

The reality is that the worker values something different than the owner. The owner values success more while the worker values safety and stability. You can't go the wage worker rout with its safety and then demand that you get a share of the spoils without ever sharing in the risk. It is asinine.

The owner of that factory built it. He built it with workers that consented to do so for a wage but it is still HIS creation. Not theirs. No matter how convoluted you want to make the issue.

Stop loss was enacted fairly recently for the army and I know of a few that were caught up in that. Of course, this really has nothing to do with the premise of the op though. Just can't let misinformation stay out there.

True, stop loss exists but it is temporary and only for certain professions. Or used to be anyway.

True, stop loss exists but it is temporary and only for certain professions. Or used to be anyway.

IT has not changes though I believe the armies stop los program a few years ago was more blanket oriented. They were fighting a wave of people that would not reenlist because the 15 month deployments (usually very close together). They way they tracked the time for those was asinine as well. You were actually gone longer because of long (many months) training that occurred before and some bullshit administrative things that occurred after. People were leaving in droves and the army had to stop loss a lot of ground troops.

Equality is "The oportunity to pass or fail on your ability". We all have the freedom to attempt anything. A "midget" will never make it into major league basketball because he doesn't have the ability to compete with those who are seven feet tall. He may however excel as an owner of a team or in a different field completely. I was born a man and could never be a woman because I don't have the ability to be a woman (even if I had surgery and used hormones I don't have the ability to be a woman). It would be impossible for me. I am too short to be a competetive basketball player but I can shoot a .33" group with a high powered rifle at 100 yards. I can also program a computer and I have written several programs - some of which are still used today. I was a mechanic for forty years and owned three businesses - two of which made me a decent living. One of those businesses provided a wage to several others until I was unable to keep the business going due to a traffic accident that disabled me to the point that I could no longer run the business. None of the employees wanted to buy it so it was closed down. I have invented more devices than I can recall but I still get email and phone calls asking for one of those from time to time. I am a minister and pastor of a local church.
In my mind I have been successful on many levels. I don't have a lot of money - the woman who disabled me with her car was uninsured and it cost me a great deal to cover the last eight years in medical treatment and supporting my wife and myself. My home is paid for and I am in the process of building a garage to give me a place to putter in and maybe invent something new. I have very good credit and don't use it much. I have enough to get me by and live a respectable life. I am overcoming my disability and plan to be at least as strong as I was before the traffic accident. I have little patience with those that complain but don't have the guts to actually DO SOMETHING to correct what they are complaining about. At 62 years old I think I know that we all have an equal chance at success - just not equal chance in the same thing. Some can be great athletes, others great minds, while others can be great at working for another, or building their own business. If you don't consider yourself successful there is only one person you can blame - YOURSELF.

Equality is "The oportunity to pass or fail on your ability". We all have the freedom to attempt anything. A "midget" will never make it into major league basketball because he doesn't have the ability to compete with those who are seven feet tall. He may however excel as an owner of a team or in a different field completely. I was born a man and could never be a woman because I don't have the ability to be a woman (even if I had surgery and used hormones I don't have the ability to be a woman). It would be impossible for me. I am too short to be a competetive basketball player but I can shoot a .33" group with a high powered rifle at 100 yards. I can also program a computer and I have written several programs - some of which are still used today. I was a mechanic for forty years and owned three businesses - two of which made me a decent living. One of those businesses provided a wage to several others until I was unable to keep the business going due to a traffic accident that disabled me to the point that I could no longer run the business. None of the employees wanted to buy it so it was closed down. I have invented more devices than I can recall but I still get email and phone calls asking for one of those from time to time. I am a minister and pastor of a local church.
In my mind I have been successful on many levels. I don't have a lot of money - the woman who disabled me with her car was uninsured and it cost me a great deal to cover the last eight years in medical treatment and supporting my wife and myself. My home is paid for and I am in the process of building a garage to give me a place to putter in and maybe invent something new. I have very good credit and don't use it much. I have enough to get me by and live a respectable life. I am overcoming my disability and plan to be at least as strong as I was before the traffic accident. I have little patience with those that complain but don't have the guts to actually DO SOMETHING to correct what they are complaining about. At 62 years old I think I know that we all have an equal chance at success - just not equal chance in the same thing. Some can be great athletes, others great minds, while others can be great at working for another, or building their own business. If you don't consider yourself successful there is only one person you can blame - YOURSELF.
Here we are 10 years later after this thread existed, and now we're talking about equality more than ever > DEI. But it's all bunk. Equality is bullshit. People are not equal. I play 5 musical instruments all on a professional level. I also have 29 paintings on display in a gallery. How many people are "equal" to that ?

By the same token, I cannot perform surgery in a hospital or medical clinic. I cannot design the construction of a building, and draw the blueprints.

The only thing that we are equal in, is that we are all going to die someday.

181805_395579157190435_461046998_n_zps5746fc4e.jpg
Doodly-squat, 3 squares and a cot.

The woke leftist doctrine of “equity” is quite sexist and racist., but they lather up these horrible things in false virtue.

Equality can be good or it can be bad. It is a good talking point and something that most seek in life as a balance between the various differences that exist in life. Equality is the only way people can get along but it takes everyone to do this. People are different and even the environment has competing extreme differences. So equality is excepting differences that exist as being the norm and not taking differences to the extreme. Move on and ignore the differences as long as it doesn't escalate to violence. Violence can be an equality.

Forum List

Back