Equality Uber Alles

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Most brilliant column I've read in a LOOOOOOONG time.

EQUALITY RUN AMOK
September 21, 2004

by Joe Sobran

In a recent column [August 21, 2004] I made an
observation about the vocal "gay community" that may bear
amplification.

On the one hand, these advocates tell us -- us
presumptive "straights" -- that people's "sexual
orientation" should be of no concern to us.

Then they turn around and tell us that their
"orientation" is the most important thing in the world to
them -- the very source of their "identity" and a matter
of "pride."

So it should matter to us not at all, though it
means everything to them. But isn't what a man considers
an all-important fact about himself something other
people should take into account when dealing with him?

Serious Christians consider their religion the most
important thing in their lives, the defining fact of
their existence. They don't say non-Christians should
regard this as a trivial fact about them. That would be
nonsense.

Furthermore, the "gays" (as distinct from quiet
homosexuals) make demands on the rest of us that require
us to take notice of them -- such as their current clamor
for redefining marriage to include same-sex unions, a
change whose ramifications, for all of us, would be vast
and unpredictable. We are still supposed to regard their
"orientation" as insignificant to us?

Such minorities -- "gays" being only one example --
want it both ways. They complain about the way they're
perceived, as if they'd prefer to be invisible; then they
try to create new, highly visible, and of course totally
favorable perceptions of themselves. They want to
supplant "negative stereotypes" with what they call
"positive images," which are usually far more unrealistic
than the old stereotypes.

The "color-blind" liberalism of the last generation
insisted that ethnic differences shouldn't matter. The
"civil rights" era taught us, with endless and eloquent
propaganda, that "race" was an utterly unscientific
concept, even though it was transpiring that racial
distinctions weren't just social conventions; some
diseases struck blacks but not whites, Jews but not
non-Jews. All the neat little lessons about "skin color"
were ignoring deep mysteries of human nature.

Other complications arose too, making these subjects
hopelessly confusing to anyone who had believed the
propaganda. Dissent -- mere critical analysis of minority
claims -- was presumed to spring from bigotry, a
presumption that made public discussion almost futile.
"Affirmative action" and Zionism made you wonder what the
slogans of "democracy" and "equality" really meant. Were
some groups exempt from the principle of equal rights and
equal treatment under the law? What about the idea that
"double standards" were bad?

Then there was sex -- or rather, as it was now often
called, "gender." The two sexes had always been regarded
as pretty obviously different -- seriously different. But
suddenly they weren't. The feminism of the last
generation all but denied "la difference." At least when
"la difference" was to the disadvantage of women; when
equality worked against women, it was another story.
Police, the military, and other institutions lowered
their standards so men wouldn't monopolize the jobs.

Far from simplifying everything, as "progressive"
rhetoric had promised, equality created a chaos of new
rules, laws, and anomalous exceptions, as when
"transsexuals" got into the act. (Only a liberal can
believe that a man becomes a woman by having himself
surgically mutilated -- as if sex is defined by genitalia
alone.)

It was often apparent that what "minorities" were
after was not equality, but privileged treatment. Or, in
a word, power.

The blandly abstract language of equality usually
conceals specific interests. "Civil rights," it's now
clear to everyone, means certain black interests; nobody
takes it to mean anything else. When whites hear about a
new "civil-rights measure," they don't imagine it means
their rights are going to be protected; on the contrary,
they know instantly that it means further violations of
their privacy, freedom of association, property rights,
access to jobs, and so forth.

"Sexual orientation" likewise means certain
homosexual interests; it doesn't cover, say, guys with a
thing for blondes, even if this happens to be a source of
"identity" and "pride" for them; the government doesn't
yet cater to the "blonde-loving community."

The seemingly universal principle nearly always
turns out to mean what's good for very specific groups.
The seemingly simple principle can wind up bringing havoc
to law and clear thought. One superfluous principle,
however noble or innocuous it sounds, can eventually
undermine an entire way of life.

The idea that everyone is equal is rooted in the tragically flawed and hopelessly naive idea that, life is fair. It is not. If anything, it is indifferent. It is up to each of us to determine what we will get out of life, and then work towards that goal. Or one can simply sit and whine about how unfair life is. To this latter group I can but say, "Stop sniveling, , suck it up , deal with it." If you are unwilling to do this, don't expect those of us who make our own way in the world to pick you up, wipe your snotty noses, pat you on the butt and give you a lollipop.

Well, hell - that was one of the more lucid and reasonable posts I've read in a while!

Bullypulpit said:
The idea that everyone is equal is rooted in the tragically flawed and hopelessly naive idea that, life is fair.
If the equality we're talking about is of opportunity and not outcome, I'd say rather the opposite is true. The idea that we need do nothing to ensure equality - and therefore that those who are most deserving reap the greatest rewards - is rooted in the tragically flawed and hopelessly naive idea that such equality exists and maintains itself naturally.
don't expect those of us who make our own way in the world to pick you up, wipe your snotty noses, pat you on the butt and give you a lollipop.
...and I reply that those who are rich having never demonstrated one whit of ability or capacity for hard work should not expect those of us who make our own way in the world to wipe their snotty noses or pay for their lollipops.

Platypus said:
If the equality we're talking about is of opportunity and not outcome, I'd say rather the opposite is true. The idea that we need do nothing to ensure equality - and therefore that those who are most deserving reap the greatest rewards - is rooted in the tragically flawed and hopelessly naive idea that such equality exists and maintains itself naturally.

...and I reply that those who are rich having never demonstrated one whit of ability or capacity for hard work should not expect those of us who make our own way in the world to wipe their snotty noses or pay for their lollipops.

Re equality: Who are these "most deserving", for whom we must "ensure equality"? And, in that context, please define "equality". And, while you're at it, please define "ensure". And, just who constitutes this "we"?

As to "the rich": If someone manages to build a better mousetrap, WTF business is it of mine whether or not he busted a sweat doing it? The problem with the politics of envy is that it celebrates the penalizing of others, even when that translates into no gain for oneself. Here's a quick refresher: Jealousy and spite are CHARACTER FLAWS.

musicman said:
Re equality: Who are these "most deserving", for whom we must "ensure equality"?
Those whom a free and open market would reward - for hard work, innovation, etc.
And, in that context, please define "equality". And, while you're at it, please define "ensure". And, just who constitutes this "we"?
Please stop with the ridiculous attempts to waste my time and deplete my energy providing definitions that do not actually appear to be either germane or in dispute. I've seen that tactic used too many times before in my 20+ years of online conversations.
As to "the rich": If someone manages to build a better mousetrap, WTF business is it of mine whether or not he busted a sweat doing it?
As an architect at a high-tech startup, of course I agree that innovation deserves reward as well as hard work. ;) I never claimed otherwise, or said anything to imply it, so your "counterargument" is easily recognized as a strawman.
The problem with the politics of envy
Envy of whom? Myself? I am the rich, by virtue of my own intelligence and hard work after being born poor. I'm just not in denial about how that happened, or the prospects for it happening to others who possess just as much entrepreneurial merit as I do. I want the "next me" to have a fair shot at getting what they deserve too, instead of seeing their own just reward handed to someone who no true capitalist would say deserves it. In that regard I consider both welfare-state proponents and plutocrats guilty.

Platypus said:
Those whom a free and open market would reward - for hard work, innovation, etc.

Please stop with the ridiculous attempts to waste my time and deplete my energy providing definitions that do not actually appear to be either germane or in dispute. I've seen that tactic used too many times before in my 20+ years of online conversations.

As an architect at a high-tech startup, of course I agree that innovation deserves reward as well as hard work. ;) I never claimed otherwise, or said anything to imply it, so your "counterargument" is easily recognized as a strawman.

Envy of whom? Myself? I am the rich, by virtue of my own intelligence and hard work after being born poor. I'm just not in denial about how that happened, or the prospects for it happening to others who possess just as much entrepreneurial merit as I do. I want the "next me" to have a fair shot at getting what they deserve too, instead of seeing their own just reward handed to someone who no true capitalist would say deserves it. In that regard I consider both welfare-state proponents and plutocrats guilty.

You've cetainly eaten up a lot of bandwidth, saying nothing. In the first place, you think me far too scheming and designing, Platypus. I've just posed a few simple questions - none of which, of course, you've answered. Again, who are these "deserving", for whom we must "ensure" "equality"? You say "those whom a free and open market would reward". That's no kind of answer. What are you implying here? Do we live in less than a free and open market? Are the "undeserving" making their fortunes on the backs of the "deserving"? Your cryptic generalities are basically saying nothing except that life ain't fair - and I thought we'd already established that.

musicman said:
Again, who are these "deserving", for whom we must "ensure" "equality"?
I'm sorry, but I don't have an easily digestible soundbite answer to such a complex question. In any case, it doesn't matter. Use your own definition. Who - or what behaviors - do you think should be rewarded in a free and open market? Now, apply that definition to my argument. Does it change the argument? I doubt it. There's no non-circular definition (e.g. "it should reward those who can ensure their own reward") which changes the main point that our current system provides greater and more consistent rewards for accidents of birth than anything that the founders of capitalist theory (e.g. Adam Smith) would recognize as merit. If it doesn't actually affect the real point, your demand for definitions is just a red herring. If you want someone to give you things to shoot at just for the sport of it, take up skeet shooting. I'm here to exchange ideas, not to play sleazy-debate-tactic games with you.

Platypus said:
I'm sorry, but I don't have an easily digestible soundbite answer to such a complex question. In any case, it doesn't matter. Use your own definition. Who - or what behaviors - do you think should be rewarded in a free and open market? Now, apply that definition to my argument. Does it change the argument? I doubt it. There's no non-circular definition (e.g. "it should reward those who can ensure their own reward") which changes the main point that our current system provides greater and more consistent rewards for accidents of birth than anything that the founders of capitalist theory (e.g. Adam Smith) would recognize as merit. If it doesn't actually affect the real point, your demand for definitions is just a red herring. If you want someone to give you things to shoot at just for the sport of it, take up skeet shooting. I'm here to exchange ideas, not to play sleazy-debate-tactic games with you.

Again, you ascribe to me a sneaky cleverness I simply do not possess. I'm not looking for "easily digestible soundbites" for "complex questions". I'm just looking for a straight answer. You obviously have an ax to grind with SOMEONE. Spell it out. Have the strength of your convictions.

dilloduck said:
I gotta admit there's a lot of truth there--see how it's sort middle of the road William?

I think Joe Sobran is one conservative columnist who is smooth enough to SOUND middle of the road, but he's really pretty subversive. Good for him!

Forum List

Back