Episcopal church clears way for clergy to perform same sex marriages.

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
Episcopal Church approves same-sex blessing service - CNN.com

The official church position is to allow "blessings" of same sex unions. The church points out that marriage is a civil affair, and as such they are not saying anything about the civil institution of marriage, other than to point out that laws vary by state. I find that an interesting position to take, and one that seems to certainly contrast with the arguments that the state should not be involved in marriage and should leave marriage to churches (a position that I support).

At the end of the day, there is essentially a word game being played here. It would seem that in a state where same sex marriage is legal, Episcopal clergy are now granted clear authority from the church to perform what would be legally binding marriages. But this disavowal by the church of jurisdiction over "marriage" is interesting. I'll be curious how this position changes the debate on the subject.

Great, many of them have performed same sex marriages already. Glad to see them approve it throughout the Church.

Was raised Episcopal. Dad, the decorated WWII and Korean War Marine Captain lived in Fort Myers, Fla. late in his life. He accepted gays for who they are, favored open service in the military and his church down there Iona-Hope was one of the first accepting churches. Dad thought it was sort of weird but he said he had no problem with folks falling in love and getting married be they gay or straight. His long time lawyer was a lesbian.
Gay marriage=NON ISSUE. No one but mother hen busy bodies gives a shit if gays get married.

The official church position is to allow "blessings" of same sex unions. The church points out that marriage is a civil affair, and as such they are not saying anything about the civil institution of marriage, other than to point out that laws vary by state. I find that an interesting position to take, and one that seems to certainly contrast with the arguments that the state should not be involved in marriage and should leave marriage to churches (a position that I support).

At the end of the day, there is essentially a word game being played here. It would seem that in a state where same sex marriage is legal, Episcopal clergy are now granted clear authority from the church to perform what would be legally binding marriages. But this disavowal by the church of jurisdiction over "marriage" is interesting. I'll be curious how this position changes the debate on the subject.

So you lied in your headline, then.

Does it matter? They are going to bleed members from now until they are no longer a church.

That's your prediction? That accepting gay marriage is going to cause the Episcopal church to "bleed members" until they no longer exist?

Yep. They more liberal they get and the more they ignore the scripture, the more schisms and attrition they have.

How many times did Jesus preach against gay marriage again?

Jesus preached against immorality all throught the Gospel. And He taught the sanctify of a marriage between a man and a woman. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:27-28) "whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." (Matthew 5:32) " And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (Mark 10:8-9)

Marriage is a sacred and divine institution. It would be wise not to mock God by describing what isnt marriage to be marriage.

The Lord has commanded us to go "And sin no more".

Jesus preached against immorality all throught the Gospel. And He taught the sanctify of a marriage between a man and a woman. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:27-28) "whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." (Matthew 5:32) " And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (Mark 10:8-9)

Marriage is a sacred and divine institution. It would be wise not to mock God by describing what isnt marriage to be marriage.

Right. But how many times did Jesus preach against gay marriage again?

The same number of times he preached against raping one's sister or goat.

The same number of times he preached against raping one's sister or goat.

Oh. So for you rape and marriage is the same thing.

And how many times again, did Jesus say it's a sin for two men to get married?

Being born gay is not immoral.

Does it matter? They are going to bleed members from now until they are no longer a church.

That's your prediction? That accepting gay marriage is going to cause the Episcopal church to "bleed members" until they no longer exist?

Yep. They more liberal they get and the more they ignore the scripture, the more schisms and attrition they have.

Do you go by scripture when you eat that ham sandwich and shrimp cocktail?
There are so many varying versions of scripture out there I have lost count.
How about you believe what you believe scripture says and I respect that and I can believe what I believe scripture says and you respect that.
We have dozens of Christian denominations. Let the Shia and Sunni fight over their religous interpretations. We should not be so arrogant.

If this is so (and it may very well be), it's just another nail in the coffin of the Episcopal Church. Apparently they would then decide that they no longer feel they know how to judge a religious sacrament. Pretty pathetic. No wonder most other Anglicans in the world want nothing more to do with them and that they are in steep decline.

Was raised Episcopal. Dad, the decorated WWII and Korean War Marine Captain lived in Fort Myers, Fla. late in his life. He accepted gays for who they are, favored open service in the military and his church down there Iona-Hope was one of the first accepting churches. Dad thought it was sort of weird but he said he had no problem with folks falling in love and getting married be they gay or straight. His long time lawyer was a lesbian.
Gay marriage=NON ISSUE. No one but mother hen busy bodies gives a shit if gays get married.

Only very narrow-minded and provincial thinking people like you think this way.

It's a process that has already been underway since they decided to consecrate gay bishops and the like. Pretty sad for what was once a great Church.

Forum List

Back