Epic Women in Epic Times

Then there's this one:

boudiccsa.jpg

Nobody really knows what happened to Boudica or her daughters, which makes it even more fascinating.
She led the Celtic tribes of what is now England against Rome...and left a scar on the land in three cities, including London, that is still there today.

The Romans came to her village, where she lived as queen of the Iceni, to collect slaves (or "volunteers"). When Boudica said no, they flogged her and soldiers raped her daughters, in public.

Boudica: Celtic War Queen Who Challenged Rome | HistoryNet
Glad I scrolled through first because she was my first choice.

Dang, a real History thread accidentally broke out here in the History Forum ... thanks for the stories, folks.

And re the 'side-saddle' thing, we have family pics going back to the late 1860's Daguerre tin type plates of our great great grandmothers and aunts and the like posing on horses and mules all the way to the present, and none of them are riding sidesaddle. It must have been a Yankee thing, or 'upper class' fashion or something. Many are also wearing chaps or those leather culotte style things, which are just pants with wide legs as far as I can tell.

Gauchos...aka split skirts.

I imagine she rode bareback, speed and silence and stamina required. I would have ridden bareback if I was skirting troops.

And yeah, you aren't riding sidesaddle if you're bareback.

Forum List

Back