EPA up for the ax???

And if people are getting sick and dying in the mean time, then what? Oh well! Culture of Life out the window!

People are getting sick and hungry now with the EPA using its power to shut down entire industries. You act like the states can not be trusted to regulate their own enviroment when they have a stake in clean air and water also. I dont advocate the end of enviromental regulations and they must be strictly enforced but that is a power for the state not EPA; which by the way is answerable to no one because they are not elected.

1) Name an industry that has been shutdown by the EPA which has now resulted in people getting sick and hungry.
2) "You act like the states can not be trusted to regulate their own enviroment" -Any state could regulate their own environment. That's not in question. The problem comes in with them having such low standards that their lack of regulation affects other neighboring states. Perhaps you don't understand how weather and climate work, but there's this thing called "wind" and it can carry "pollutants" a long way that then get deposited in a neighboring state via "rain".

Again, are you honestly suggesting that Kansas should be allowed to pollute Nebraska, and if Nebraska has a problem with it their only remedy is suing and going to the Supreme Court?

The coal industry. 1000s including me are now drawing unemployment because the EPA wants to end all coal mining.

According to the consitituion yes; one states rememdy against another is the supereme court.

Prove that state standards are so low that they will ruin all the water and air in the state.

You dont have to talk down to me to prove a point that is childish. I know what wind is and what pollutants are.

Nothing that humans have done in our history has ever hurt the earth, it has been proven that millions of years ago the carbon in the air was 30% higher then it is now, earth heals itself. Did you know that you are made of carbon? everything is carbon based, and if the progressives have their way you will be paying for carbon that already existed millions of years before man did, now doesn't that sound stupid?

I would amuse them by telling them that there is nothing wrong with the air, and I would even give them scientific fact to back it up with.

Yes, the Earth does have a profound resiliency. Many times it has cleaned itself up by providing mass extinctions so it could fix whatever may have gone wrong. I would prefer that we are not the ones to provoke another mass extinction due to our arrogance.

Yes! We are arrogant. The Left's meme for everything.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMfMssJaPM]YouTube - ‪Obama Tells Europe US Arrogant‬‏[/ame]

The coal industry.
The EPA shut down the ENTIRE coal industry? That's terrible news! Why didn't Fox run a special on it?

Prove that state standards are so low that they will ruin all the water and air in the state.
Not how it works bub. You're asking me to prove a state won't do something and that's proving a negative which doesn't work. The burden is on you and yours to prove the states WILL police their environment and keep things clean.[/QUOTE]

All states have a DEP but the fedeal EPA takes almost all their authority away. If we give it back to them then they will do their jobs as the people of the state see fit.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't do it. In your scenario, Kansas could decide to fuck the environment and pollute all they want. Those pollutants could land in Nebraska instead of Kansas and then what? States sue each other? How do you enforce Kansas not polluting on Nebraska? Or do you think that would be fine?

There needs to be a national policy and a national enforcement of it.

Well we finally have found a use for the supreme court. If two states are in dispute then let them litigate there.

Litigate and wait how long for a resolution, when in the mean time people are getting sick? That's not going to help. You need a proactive agency that sets standards BEFORE there are problems. Libertarians keep saying what a paradise this country would be with them in charge, but all I see is that they'd allow the country to become a garbage dump for everyone except those that can afford to isolate themselves. NO WAY!!! Libertarians are as dangerous to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as the Marxists. They both don't get that in order for their system to work there has to be a basic shift in human nature. I'm certainly not holding my breath on that promise, especially since they can't show one place in the world where their philosophy has actually worked.

Why are you picking on Libertarians may I ask??? Sure, we like our liberties & conveniences too but also like fresh clean water & pure air to breathe also. My question was aimed at CURRENT PRIORITIES. Even president Obama has said repeatedly that both the financial & economic well being is TOP PRIORITY at this time for the USA. Michele Bachmann for your info is a Republican NOT a Libertarian candidate!!! I was merely passing on to our community members what representative Bachmann(a Republican!) had said about liquidating the EPA so as to pave the way to get industry back in America. It could have been a Democrat representative that said it instead of Michele Bachmann. Party affiliation has NOTHING to do with my post. The comment on the EPA made by representative Bachmann is NOT

The coal industry.
The EPA shut down the ENTIRE coal industry? That's terrible news! Why didn't Fox run a special on it?

Not how it works bub. You're asking me to prove a state won't do something and that's proving a negative which doesn't work. The burden is on you and yours to prove the states WILL police their environment and keep things clean.
[/QUOTE]

You are the one that is claiming that the states standards are to low then prove it. \

It is no secret that the EPA and the Obama admininstration have a plan to bankrupt the coal industry.

The coal industry.

Not how it works bub. You're asking me to prove a state won't do something and that's proving a negative which doesn't work. The burden is on you and yours to prove the states WILL police their environment and keep things clean.

You are the one that is claiming that the states standards are to low then prove it. \

It is no secret that the EPA and the Obama admininstration have a plan to bankrupt the coal industry.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the coal industry should follow China in cleaning up the emissions?

China Outpaces U.S. in Cleaner Coal-Fired Plants

China Far Outpaces U.S. in Building Cleaner Coal-Fired Plants - NYTimes.com

World's Top Polluter Emerges as Green-Technology Leader
World's Top Polluter Emerges as Green-Technology Leader - WSJ.com

It is no secret that the EPA and the Obama admininstration have a plan to bankrupt the coal industry.

Maybe the coal industry should follow China in cleaning up the emissions?

China Outpaces U.S. in Cleaner Coal-Fired Plants

China Far Outpaces U.S. in Building Cleaner Coal-Fired Plants - NYTimes.com

World's Top Polluter Emerges as Green-Technology Leader
World's Top Polluter Emerges as Green-Technology Leader - WSJ.com[/QUOTE]

So why are their overall carbon emissions many times that of the US?

You are the one that is claiming that the states standards are to low then prove it.

Actually, I'm not. What I'm claiming, is that there is no evidence or safeguards in place that will ensure that ALL states adequately police their environment and their pollution. No one on this thread, or anywhere for that matter, has ever shown that there are, or will be, adequate measures taken by the states.

That's what I mean that you have to prove. If you want the EPA gone and claim states will adequately police themselves, prove it. Otherwise, you're just closing your eyes and praying it will happen.

How much cleaner is the water and air in the last 20 years? How much of that was due to EPA regs?

I realize the Obamarrhoids think "hey screw the working man" but permanent unemployment isn't a solution for anyone.

Yes, the EPA has become essentially a rogue agency, passing what ought to be legislation simply by regulatory fiat. They are unelected and unaccountable. Cutting their budget by 75% would go a long way towards helping the economy.

Hey Rabbi... How old are you and where do you live?

I am 46 and live in Central PA. I remember when I was a kid there were 4 creeks just in our area that did not support life in them... other than scum. They ran a constant Brown/Red color from the Coal Region in nearby Shamokin. Today... you can fish them, today they are healthy. Once again... believe the rhetoric... deny the truth... that's all you guys do.

Let's see, the Constitution doesn't authorize the Federal government to regulate the environment, thus the EPA is completely unconstitutional and the power to regulate the environment is only in the scope of the State's power.

Maybe you guys should stop relying on emotional arguments and actually end the corruption in our government when the wrong politicians try to steal power from the correct agencies. You've lost your freedom because of your corruption.

Good God.... The Constitution says nothing about Gays and abortion... but you idiots are OK with the Government overstepping their bounds on those issues, aren't you? If the Constitution is your bible... then start your own religion. The Constitution calls for protecting Life, liberty, property and promoting the general welfare of our Great Country.

Get the fuck over yourselves. Our environment involves all of the above... all aspects.. .Life... Liberty... Property and the General Welfare of our country.

So you have absolutely no proof.
When I was a kid you could not fish in the Hudson River. Twenty years ago you could fish in the Hudson River. You can still fish in the Hudson River.

So you're saying that the EPA can go away now because it did it's job and companies will now follow suit and clean up after themselves voluntarily?

State depts of EP will be the watch dog of industry to minimize their enviromental impact on the planet.

Yeah... let's place even MORE of a burden to the States, who are already in hock up to their ears. Great Idea. That's the Real Trickle down that Conservatives want to see. Costs passed down so profits go up.

This may be Michele Bachmann's vision of American but I doubt many Americans share that vision.

air_pollution_china.jpg

Why do you think this country will turn into China?

It's only logical... that's where all of our jobs went... now you want no serious regulation of pollution to bring the jobs back, right? You do realize that States get funding from the Federal Government... if the EPA goes bye-bye... then so does the funding.. which makes the overall process of regulating a whole lot weaker... so the picture is probably accurate... BTW... in the 80's? That wasn't Beijing.... that was any decent sized city in America.

I would amuse them by telling them that there is nothing wrong with the air, and I would even give them scientific fact to back it up with.

Yes, the Earth does have a profound resiliency. Many times it has cleaned itself up by providing mass extinctions so it could fix whatever may have gone wrong. I would prefer that we are not the ones to provoke another mass extinction due to our arrogance.

Yes! We are arrogant. The Left's meme for everything.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMfMssJaPM]YouTube - ‪Obama Tells Europe US Arrogant‬‏[/ame]

I'm really not on the left, but think as you may.

Congresswoman Michele 'Hitman' Bachmann desires to see industry grow in the USA(so does everyone else!). On top of making the USA a low tax nation for industries to set up business in, the 'Hitman' wants to 'squelch' the EPA to make it easier for business to relocate in country. The EPA, never popular with the rank & file tax paying constituency in the 1st place would be an easy target in an era of tight budgets & high unemployment. I mean who cares about wetland zoning when one is living in the back seat of their vehicle???
My question is, considering the dismal financial situation in country... is the EPA an easy target to start with in eliminating the 'fat' in federal government? It's come down to managing wetlands or keeping a roof over ones head & food on the table. What's your opinion on this one???
No, I don't think so. Even the radical Right that seeks to turn the country into a collision of independent states sees the need for pollution control. The accomplishments of the EPA are huge, from saving the Bald Eagle and thousand of endanger species, to reducing air and water pollution in our major cities. No, I don't think America wants to return to the choking pollution and burning rivers of the past. Pollution control has become big business in the US with revenues in billions.

So if it's big business and people have a financial incentive to continue doing it, why do you think we will suddenly revert to pre-1969 standards?
Huh? Huh?
There is a financial incentive in the pollution control industry, not land developers, power power, plants and most of industry.

It’s taken 40 or 50 years to cleanup our waterways and air. Without regulation and enforcement, fines, lawsuits, and inspections, the environment will return to the days before environmental laws. Big corporations are not going to continue to spend millions on equipment that protects our air and water or forego development of environmental sensitive land without enforcement. Their goal is profit, not protection of the environment.

Without EPA protection our precious wetlands would be only a small fraction of what they are today. Wetlands naturally filter and recharge the water that later comes out of our faucets. They act like giant sponges, slowing the flow of surface water and reducing the impact of flooding. Their protection is vital not just to man but to fish and wildlife.

By 1967 the great California Condor’s numbers had shrank to only 25 in the wild. The Whooping Crane numbers had been reduced to only 21 worldwide. Even the Bald Eagle, our national bird was on the verge of extinction. By banning of DDP, use of lead in buckshot, and rigid protection of nesting places, these birds are all making a comeback along hundreds of other creatures.

Economic woes come and go, but extinction is forever.

There are states that will and there are states that won't.

All states have a DEP but the fedeal EPA takes almost all their authority away. If we give it back to them then they will do their jobs as the people of the state see fit.
I live on a body of water that borders two states. What happens when the folks across the lake have looser standards and they pollute my water supply?

What happens when no one in that state gives a shit about sulfur dioxide emissions because the prevailing winds carry them away from their people?
Which is exactly the reason we have federal regulation to protect the environmental.

It’s taken 40 or 50 years to cleanup our waterways and air. Without regulation and enforcement, fines, lawsuits, and inspections, the environment will return to the days before environmental laws. Big corporations are not going to continue to spend millions on equipment that protects our air and water or forego development of environmental sensitive land without enforcement. Their goal is profit, not protection of the environment.

Without EPA protection our precious wetlands would be only a small fraction of what they are today. Wetlands naturally filter and recharge the water that later comes out of our faucets. They act like giant sponges, slowing the flow of surface water and reducing the impact of flooding. Their protection is vital not just to man but to fish and wildlife.

By 1967 the great California Condor’s numbers had shrank to only 25 in the wild. The Whooping Crane numbers had been reduced to only 21 worldwide. Even the Bald Eagle, our national bird was on the verge of extinction. By banning of DDP, use of lead in buckshot, and rigid protection of nesting places, these birds are all making a comeback along hundreds of other creatures.

Economic woes come and go, but extinction is forever.

Yes, if we cut even one dollar from EPA's budget every big mean corporation will rush to dump their toxic shit all over school yards and stuff.
Geez, people are stupid. This is how Democrats get in office.

Yes, if we cut even one dollar from EPA's budget every big mean corporation will rush to dump their toxic shit all over school yards and stuff.
Geez, people are stupid. This is how Democrats get in office.

Funny how you change the subject.... No one is saying that it can't be cut at all, did they?

The point that was being debated was the END of the EPA.... not the cutting $1 from it's budget.

Keep dancing.

This is absolutely mind blowing. Republicans want to ax the EPA? Seriously? The air is too clean? The water too drinkable? I've heard some dumb shit before, but come on. Ax the EPA? Seriously?

My Gawd, the right wing has gone way passed crazy into "certifiable lunatic".

Forum List

Back