EPA turns down states' request for ethanol waiver

News flash...Dry gas doesn't remove jack shit from the fuel...It only traps the water in suspension.

The "removal" part comes as the fuel is exposed to air, and the water evaporates with the ETOH.

But I'm sure such basic chemistry is way over your head.

Please explain, in detail, exactly how anything is supposed to "evaporate" in the completely sealed fuel system of a modern vehicle! Be specific.

Please explain how dry gas "removes" water from the fuel in a completely sealed fuel system of a modern vehicle.

Where does it go?

It is magic, anyone who ever read Harry Potter could explain it to you.

I've got 35 wind turbines on the south side of my road. And ethonol plant 6 miles to the east of me. So I'm surrounded with green energy.
the problem with Pacific ethanol here in Burley is they train the corn in all the way from Nebraska..figure that one out And then the ethanol is trucked out on rail.
Ethanol is the epitamy government inefficiency and bureaucratic stupidity.
I can't understand why produce a energy source that uses 60 pct energy to even make it.

Please explain, in detail, exactly how anything is supposed to "evaporate" in the completely sealed fuel system of a modern vehicle! Be specific.

Please explain how dry gas "removes" water from the fuel in a completely sealed fuel system of a modern vehicle.

Where does it go?

Harry-Potter-Ride-3-web.jpg

That locomotive is obviously burning E15. Look at all the moisture it's removing from the fuel.

Where does it go?

Harry-Potter-Ride-3-web.jpg

That locomotive is obviously burning E15. Look at all the moisture it's removing from the fuel.

That rates my favorite video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWgs6YQR9A]ROFLMAO! - World of Warcraft (WoW) Machinima by Oxhorn - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds like the requirements to get a waiver are too stringent and badly in need of revision.

Sounds like ethanol was a cruel hoax from day 1.

No hoax. It was a good idea in theory. But in practice, it's most definietly a bad idea.
But hey -- their intentions were good, and that's all that really matters. Never mind the net energy loss, the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico from ag runoff, the damage to engines caused by ethanol.

They meant well.

Still;

an apparatus for carrying out distillation, consisting of a vessel in which a mixture is heated, a condenser to turn the vapour back to liquid, and a receiver to hold the distilled liquid, used esp in the manufacture of spirits.

Last edited:
of course they did, destroying cars is more important than feeding people.

Pablum. This is the myth that just refuses to die! I have been running E10 for more than ten years...ZERO, ZILCH, NO PROBLEMS to report.

Tell me something, if ethanol is not a problem why do manufacturer's refuse to honor their warranties if you use higher blends?

The same reason that they would not honor the warranty if you used METHANOL blends, or put leaded gas in a new car, or burned 85-octane gas in a new Corvette ZR1. Because they are designed for a certain percent of ethanol, usually ten percent! This is like explaining physics to a chimp.

No, not pablum.

ETOH fuel dried out all the gaskets on my motorcycle and one of our small 2-cycle outboard motors.

The stuff is total shit for small engines.

Horse shit. I have run it in no less than a dozen small engines (many of them 20+ years old). The sum total of the problems resulting was having to clean out the carb on a 20-year-old leaf blower when the alcohol loosened years of crud in the fuel system. Cleaned it out, I'm still using that leaf blower. I have run my old (late 70's!) generator for easily 1000 hours on E10...it ran 19 days straight at one point without a hiccup. My wife's old motorcycle (1979 Suzuki) had no problems with E10. None of the half dozen vehicles I help prep for winter storage have had a problem.

In your case, I suspect operator error.

Let me see.

I have a choice between believing engine manufacturers, industry magazines, and independent researchers, all of whom report higher maintenance expenses when using ethanol, and an anonymous idiot who claims to be the only person on the planet never to have had a problem as a result of ethanol.

Guess which side I come down on.

No, actually...I am a car nut, a serious wrench (EVERY fastener on my Coupe de Ville has been removed and installed by me, ditto for my wife and her Buick Grand National), and have many friends (and some relatives) who are also car nuts. Nobody, repeat nobody has had any ethanol-related problems!

Stop blaming the gas for your ineptitude!

So my fucked over motorcycle carbs and outboard motor that needed an overhaul long before its time -both with irreparably dried out gaskets and seals- are complete figments of my imagination.

Gotcha. :rolleyes: :thup:

As I said: in your case, I suspect operator error. Four different motorcycles (my wife's 1979 Suzuki, my mother's & stepfather's Suzuki LS650 Savages, my uncle's Yamaha cruiser, all carbuerated), ZERO E10 related problems. My wife's 'Zuki had close to 95,000 miles when she sold it.

Let me guess, she sold it before it developed major problems. Did you move before the new owner could sue you for lying about the condition of the motorcycle?

She sold it to one of her former co-workers. He still rode it regularly when he left the company 2 years ago. There was nothing wrong with it except for the cosmetic wear you would expect on an old motorcycle with high miles. It had been burning E10 for years when she bought it, she never ran anything else in it. (It's all that's available around here.) I think both LS650's have burned EXCLUSIVELY E10 since they were new.

of course they did, destroying cars is more important than feeding people.

Pablum. This is the myth that just refuses to die! I have been running E10 for more than ten years...ZERO, ZILCH, NO PROBLEMS to report.
No, not pablum.

ETOH fuel dried out all the gaskets on my motorcycle and one of our small 2-cycle outboard motors.

The stuff is total shit for small engines.

Years ago, I applied for a vanity plate "NO ETOH".

It was denied. :lol:

Tell me something, if ethanol is not a problem why do manufacturer's refuse to honor their warranties if you use higher blends?

The same reason that they would not honor the warranty if you used METHANOL blends, or put leaded gas in a new car, or burned 85-octane gas in a new Corvette ZR1. Because they are designed for a certain percent of ethanol, usually ten percent! This is like explaining physics to a chimp.

What possible difference could it make, the stuff never damages engines, you said so yourself.

Horse shit. I have run it in no less than a dozen small engines (many of them 20+ years old). The sum total of the problems resulting was having to clean out the carb on a 20-year-old leaf blower when the alcohol loosened years of crud in the fuel system. Cleaned it out, I'm still using that leaf blower. I have run my old (late 70's!) generator for easily 1000 hours on E10...it ran 19 days straight at one point without a hiccup. My wife's old motorcycle (1979 Suzuki) had no problems with E10. None of the half dozen vehicles I help prep for winter storage have had a problem.

In your case, I suspect operator error.

Let me see.

I have a choice between believing engine manufacturers, industry magazines, and independent researchers, all of whom report higher maintenance expenses when using ethanol, and an anonymous idiot who claims to be the only person on the planet never to have had a problem as a result of ethanol.

Guess which side I come down on.

No, actually...I am a car nut, a serious wrench (EVERY fastener on my Coupe de Ville has been removed and installed by me, ditto for my wife and her Buick Grand National), and have many friends (and some relatives) who are also car nuts. Nobody, repeat nobody has had any ethanol-related problems!

Stop blaming the gas for your ineptitude!

I see now, because you are obsessive compulsive, and your engines spend more time sitting on your coffee table than they do in the car, that is proof that everyone else in the world is crazy when they have problems.

Forum List

Back