EPA says Chem Disperants no more harmful than Oil

The real joke here is that they already knew it. studies have already been done, Dispersants were part of the pre approved federal response plan, and had been determined already to be no more harmful than oil.

Yet the EPA still fought their use, and sought to limit them, claiming they could be more harmful, when we already knew they were not.

EPA says chemical dispersants no more toxic than oil | al.com

So after 3 Months of screaming about how much of this stuff was being used, and Limiting it's use. The EPA's own study shows it is NO MORE harmful than the oil itself.

What a waste of time and money.
Amazing to find a con defending the EPA.

Are you blind. I am not defending them. I think they are idiots. Either they were wrong when they screamed and cried about How Much BP was using, or they are wrong now.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. There's no winners in this country anymore, under any situation. Bunch of sad sack loser bitching whores, every one of us. Nobody appreciates anything. Effort is unrecognised, inventiveness unheralded, creativity squashed. Let's all just sit back and suckle the Obamanation teat.

And what do the dispersants disperse the oil into?

Very simple. A dispersant improves the solubility of substance A in Substance B, in this case oil in water. by doing so it increases the overall surface area of the oil in contact with the water. this allows microbes easier access to the oil for use as a substrate, as well as increases the chance for evaporation into the atmosphere. Once in the atmosphere sunlight breaks the lighter hydrocarbons down.

This may have impacts on macroscopic life such as fish, who will now have a greater chance of ingesting oil and the mixture, but for the oil eating bacteria its like throwing hershey bars into the water. It also prevents those larger clumps from forming, which really have an impact on macroscopic organisms.

Baiscally using a dispersant in this situation was a lesser of two evils. The one advantage of using it is A) the gulf has a natural seepage rate of oil into it, so there was a seed of oil scavenging bacteria around already, B) the higher temperatures allowed high metabolic rates a speeded evaporation. and C) the spill was a persistent point source, so they could target the dispersant in whatever area the plume was currently hitting the surface, or use it at the actual well head, and allow for greater mixing. These conditons werent the same as the Exxon Valdez. (no real oil seepage in area, Colder, a quick one shot spill that prevented long term mobilization)

hope this helps.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. There's no winners in this country anymore, under any situation. Bunch of sad sack loser bitching whores, every one of us. Nobody appreciates anything. Effort is unrecognised, inventiveness unheralded, creativity squashed. Let's all just sit back and suckle the Obamanation teat.

I say both sides are guilty of this. People are too used to the "Movie" or "CSI" solution, with everything wrapped up in 2 hours or 60 minutes (less commercials of course). Add a constant stream of Mainstream Media attention trying to get you to watch, with a dash of the internet's ability to allow every hack and asshat a large audiance for thier bullshit and like you said, nobody can do anything right.

To me the internet is probably the worst offender, allowing people who 30 years ago would be screaming thier opinions to thier cat in thier parent's basement a window into the outside world where thier opinions can be seen as fact by our more gullible people. And yes, i know the hypocrisy, or irony of this statement.

I say both sides are guilty of this. People are too used to the "Movie" or "CSI" solution, with everything wrapped up in 2 hours or 60 minutes (less commercials of course). Add a constant stream of Mainstream Media attention trying to get you to watch, with a dash of the internet's ability to allow every hack and asshat a large audiance for thier bullshit and like you said, nobody can do anything right.

To me the internet is probably the worst offender, allowing people who 30 years ago would be screaming thier opinions to thier cat in thier parent's basement a window into the outside world where thier opinions can be seen as fact by our more gullible people. And yes, i know the hypocrisy, or irony of this statement.

It's a crisis of self-confidence. Lead, follow, or get out of the way? We're a nation of followers and dodgers. And the rare few that truely lead in areas of creativity and innovation are given little credence because we're too ignorant to recognise such.

It's a crisis of self-confidence. Lead, follow, or get out of the way? We're a nation of followers and dodgers. And the rare few that truely lead in areas of creativity and innovation are given little credence because we're too ignorant to recognise such.

I admire your honesty.

"This may have impacts on macroscopic life such as fish, who will now have a greater chance of ingesting oil and the mixture"

Whch means the oil moves up the food chain more efficiently? ie into us?

Forum List

Back