EPA May Have Suppressed Report Skeptical Of Global Warming

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
The Environmental Protection Agency may have suppressed an internal report that was skeptical of claims about global warming, including whether carbon dioxide must be strictly regulated by the federal government, according to a series of newly disclosed e-mail messages.

Less than two weeks before the agency formally submitted its pro-regulation recommendation to the White House, an EPA center director quashed a 98-page report that warned against making hasty "decisions based on a scientific hypothesis that does not appear to explain most of the available data."

The EPA official, Al McGartland, said in an e-mail message to a staff researcher on March 17: "The administrator and the administration has decided to move forward... and your comments do not help the legal or policy case for this decision."

The e-mail correspondence raises questions about political interference in what was supposed to be a independent review process inside a federal agency -- and echoes criticisms of the EPA under the Bush administration, which was accused of suppressing a pro-climate change document.

Alan Carlin, the primary author of the 98-page EPA report, told CBSNews.com in a telephone interview on Friday that his boss, McGartland, was being pressured himself. "It was his view that he either lost his job or he got me working on something else," Carlin said. "That was obviously coming from higher levels."

E-mail messages released this week show that Carlin was ordered not to "have any direct communication" with anyone outside his small group at EPA on the topic of climate change, and was informed that his report would not be shared with the agency group working on the topic.

"I was told for probably the first time in I don't know how many years exactly what I was to work on," said Carlin, a 38-year veteran of the EPA. "And it was not to work on climate change." One e-mail orders him to update a grants database instead.

Carlin has an undergraduate degree in physics from CalTech and a PhD in economics from MIT. His Web site lists papers about the environment and public policy dating back to 1964, spanning topics from pollution control to environmentally-responsible energy pricing.

After reviewing the scientific literature that the EPA is relying on, Carlin said, he concluded that it was at least three years out of date and did not reflect the latest research. "My personal view is that there is not currently any reason to regulate (carbon dioxide)," he said. "There may be in the future. But global temperatures are roughly where they were in the mid-20th century. They're not going up, and if anything they're going down."

Carlin's report listed a number of recent developments he said the EPA did not consider, including that global temperatures have declined for 11 years; that new research predicts Atlantic hurricanes will be unaffected; that there's "little evidence" that Greenland is shedding ice at expected levels; and that solar radiation has the largest single effect on the earth's temperature.

If there is a need for the government to lower planetary temperatures, Carlin believes, other mechanisms would be cheaper and more effective than regulation of carbon dioxide. One paper he wrote says managing sea level rise or reducing solar radiation reaching the earth would be more cost-effective alternatives.

The EPA's possible suppression of Carlin's report, which lists the EPA's John Davidson as a co-author, could endanger any carbon dioxide regulations if they are eventually challenged in court.

EPA May Have Suppressed Report Skeptical Of Global Warming - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

May have? We know they have done it several times, like all government organizations, whoever bribes them best will get the "results" they want.

Well of course they did. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, this topic has nothing to do with global warming, climate change (as if the climate has ever been static. Although I did hear one Democrat on CSPAN last week say the the climate was in perfect equilibrium and even a change of a degree or two could be catastrophic), nor is it about the environment.

It is about one thing: CONTROL

:eusa_shhh: :eusa_shhh: :eusa_shhh: :eusa_shhh:

The report finds that EPA, by adopting the United Nations’ 2007 “Fourth Assessment” report, is relying on outdated research and is ignoring major new developments. Those developments include a continued decline in global temperatures, a new consensus that future hurricanes will not be more frequent or intense, and new findings that water vapor will moderate, rather than exacerbate, temperature.

New data also indicate that ocean cycles are probably the most important single factor in explaining temperature fluctuations, though solar cycles may play a role as well, and that reliable satellite data undercut the likelihood of endangerment from greenhouse gases. All of this demonstrates EPA should independently analyze the science, rather than just adopt the conclusions of outside organizations.
http://cei.org/

The whole report is available in .pdf format on the site, I had a heck of a time getting it to load sometimes but was an interesting read. It seems that if this report would have made it into the climate change debate then we would not be talking about this at the moment and it sort of shoots down the bbasic premise for the bill.

Hmmm...I'm guessing you won't hear from many global warming junkies on this post. Can't blame them though. Why would they stick their chin out to get clobbered again.

Poor Al...he must be really pissed. It's a good thing he got his book sold and his movie produced before the real inconvenient truth was discovered.

This is a really interesting video i will warn everone up front ITS LONG!! but before they jump on the bandwagon of cap and trade and automatically think the sky is falling it might be worth it to get some more opinions...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSzItt6h-s]YouTube - The Great Global Warming Swindle - Produced by WAGTV[/ame]

The Environmental Protection Agency may have suppressed an internal report that was skeptical of claims about global warming, including whether carbon dioxide must be strictly regulated by the federal government, according to a series of newly disclosed e-mail messages.

Less than two weeks before the agency formally submitted its pro-regulation recommendation to the White House, an EPA center director quashed a 98-page report that warned against making hasty "decisions based on a scientific hypothesis that does not appear to explain most of the available data."

The EPA official, Al McGartland, said in an e-mail message to a staff researcher on March 17: "The administrator and the administration has decided to move forward... and your comments do not help the legal or policy case for this decision."

The e-mail correspondence raises questions about political interference in what was supposed to be a independent review process inside a federal agency -- and echoes criticisms of the EPA under the Bush administration, which was accused of suppressing a pro-climate change document.

Alan Carlin, the primary author of the 98-page EPA report, told CBSNews.com in a telephone interview on Friday that his boss, McGartland, was being pressured himself. "It was his view that he either lost his job or he got me working on something else," Carlin said. "That was obviously coming from higher levels."

E-mail messages released this week show that Carlin was ordered not to "have any direct communication" with anyone outside his small group at EPA on the topic of climate change, and was informed that his report would not be shared with the agency group working on the topic.

"I was told for probably the first time in I don't know how many years exactly what I was to work on," said Carlin, a 38-year veteran of the EPA. "And it was not to work on climate change." One e-mail orders him to update a grants database instead.

Carlin has an undergraduate degree in physics from CalTech and a PhD in economics from MIT. His Web site lists papers about the environment and public policy dating back to 1964, spanning topics from pollution control to environmentally-responsible energy pricing.

After reviewing the scientific literature that the EPA is relying on, Carlin said, he concluded that it was at least three years out of date and did not reflect the latest research. "My personal view is that there is not currently any reason to regulate (carbon dioxide)," he said. "There may be in the future. But global temperatures are roughly where they were in the mid-20th century. They're not going up, and if anything they're going down."

Carlin's report listed a number of recent developments he said the EPA did not consider, including that global temperatures have declined for 11 years; that new research predicts Atlantic hurricanes will be unaffected; that there's "little evidence" that Greenland is shedding ice at expected levels; and that solar radiation has the largest single effect on the earth's temperature.

If there is a need for the government to lower planetary temperatures, Carlin believes, other mechanisms would be cheaper and more effective than regulation of carbon dioxide. One paper he wrote says managing sea level rise or reducing solar radiation reaching the earth would be more cost-effective alternatives.

The EPA's possible suppression of Carlin's report, which lists the EPA's John Davidson as a co-author, could endanger any carbon dioxide regulations if they are eventually challenged in court.

EPA May Have Suppressed Report Skeptical Of Global Warming - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

This thing has really gotten out of hand - and hopefully enough Americans will WAKE UP to the fact that our current government is attempting the most invasive increasing of federal power in the last 80 years.

This collective statist mindset is the most dire threat to our nation since WWII.

Cap n Trade combined with nationalized health care...God Help Us.

And make no mistake - Bush Jr. set this thing in motion.

Obama has just taken the ball and is running faster with it...

A 38 year scientist veteran of the EPA was just on Fox stating that we have relied too heavily on the U.N and not done our own research on the cause of global warming. He stated that there is no evidence of humans causing global warming, when he issued his report, he recieved an e-mail that this would not support the administration's policy and more or less shut up. He stated that things are tense where he works and that of last night he still had a job.

Wasn't the U.N heavily involved in convincing the world of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction???? Hmm, could this cap and trade bill be Obama's weapon of mass destruction to the American economy.

A top Republican senator has ordered an investigation into the Environmental Protection Agency's alleged suppression of a report that questioned the science behind global warming.

The 98-page report, co-authored by EPA analyst Alan Carlin, pushed back on the prospect of regulating gases like carbon dioxide as a way to reduce global warming.
Carlin's report argued that the information the EPA was using was out of date, and that even as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have increased, global temperatures have declined.

"He came out with the truth. They don't want the truth at the EPA," Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., a global warming skeptic, told FOX News, saying he's ordered an investigation. "We're going to expose it."

The controversy comes after the House of Representatives passed a landmark bill to regulate greenhouse gas emissions, one that Inhofe said will be "dead on arrival" in the Senate despite President Obama's energy adviser voicing confidence in the measure.

According to internal e-mails that have been made public by the Competitive Enterprise Institute, Carlin's boss told him in March that his material would not be incorporated into a broader EPA finding and ordered Carlin to stop working on the climate change issue. The draft EPA finding released in April lists six greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, that the EPA says threaten public health and welfare.

An EPA official told FOXNews.com on Monday that Carlin, who is an economist -- not a scientist -- included "no original research" in his report. The official said that Carlin "has not been muzzled in the agency at all," but stressed that his report was entirely "unsolicited."

"It was something that he did on his own," the official said. "Though he was not qualified, his manager indulged him and allowed him on agency time to draft up ... a set of comments."

Despite the EPA official's remarks, Carlin told FOXNews.com on Monday that his boss, National Center for Environmental Economics Director Al McGartland, appeared to be pressured into reassigning him.

Carlin said he doesn't know whether the White House intervened to suppress his report but claimed it's clear "they would not be happy about it if they knew about it," and that McGartland seemed to be feeling pressure from somewhere up the chain of command.

Carlin said McGartland told him he had to pull him off the climate change issue.

"It was reassigning you or losing my job, and I didn't want to lose my job," Carlin said, paraphrasing what he claimed were McGartland's comments to him. "My inference (was) that he was receiving some sort of higher-level pressure."

To see more
- Political News - FOXNews.com

Last edited:
According to this article-- we have a cover up in the EPA--that may have been ordered by the White House--in order to get this Cap & Trade bill passed. They certainly wouldn't want to expose any opposing opinions at this time.

According to this article-- we have a cover up in the EPA--that may have been ordered by the White House--in order to get this Cap & Trade bill passed. They certainly wouldn't want to expose any opposing opinions at this time.

Suppressing, or not giving it any credit because it doesn't deserve any? Let the facts fall where they may. Let us know what this report found, who the scientists were, what they used to come up with their findings, etc.

Nice work, Oreo.

And, along the same lines,

"Senator Barrasso of Wyoming got hold of a 9 page White House memo which indicates that the lack of scientific support that CO2 is a pollutant, and in fact, that the EPA plan to mark it as such is political.
Council in this memo questions EPA findings: “ making a finding of harm for substances that have no demonstrated health effects…making the decision to regulate CO2 under the Clean Air Act …a serious economic effects on businesses small and large.”
Lisa Jackson implies that the Supreme Court “mandated” the EPA regulate, where the actual decision says “may.”

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-SvGLPjm5w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-SvGLPjm5w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The Flat Earthers strike back!

Next target.............EVOLUTION!!!

I note that you have not been able to be critical of any of the points made on this thread.

The reason is obvious.

Better to hold out until the bitter end.

Have you been exchanging notes with Hiroo Onoda?

Hmmm...I'm guessing you won't hear from many global warming junkies on this post. Can't blame them though. Why would they stick their chin out to get clobbered again.

But of course the June heatwave across Texas is shattering old records. Imagine that.

Reports of a cover-up by the (Environmental Protection Agency) EPA and Obama administration had surfaced. Fox News reported and interviewed this morning Allen Carlin, a researcher for the EPA. Carlin had done a study and found that Global Warming is not man made and that the EPA needs to review the science behind Global Warming, rather then relying on reports from the United Nations.

Carlin said, “My view is..there is not currently any reason to regulate carbon dioxide. Global temperatures are roughly where they were in the mid-20th century.” He goes on and says “They’re not going up. If anything, they’re going down.” –Allen Carlin, authors of EPA study on climate change.

Carlin sent in his findings to his Supervisor, which sent him an email back saying: “The administrator and the (Obama) Administration have decided to move forward…and your comments do not help the legal or policy case for this decision.” –Al McGartland, EPA official per (CBS NEWS)

(R) Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe tells Fox News that there is already an investigation on the way. Investigation is great, but I think we the people should request a criminal investigation. After all, Cap and Trade makes Bernie Madoff $50 Billion dollar ponzi scheme look like chump change.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapguPdhomI]YouTube - The EPA buried an internal study by Alan Carlin, that was extremely critical of Global Warming.[/ame]

As it stands, our Federal government controls 85% of the carbon credits. Who or what company do you think Obama is going to give these credits to? My guess is that it won’t be anyone that supported McCain. Don’t think for a second that Obama doesn’t have a list of every major contributor. He does and like Santa, he checks this list often and sometimes twice.

The carbon credits that make up the remaining 15% are owned by Al Gore and companies like GE. It’s been said that if this bill goes through, Al gore will make close to $100 Million dollars or more.

Cap and Trade will not come in the form of a tax but higher energy costs and product costs. Our manufactures will be forced to outsource their production or stay in the U.S. and pass the cost to us consumers. Our utility companies will have to raise cost. Based on a 2007 study by MIT, it could cost households $3,100 per year. The Conservative Heritage Foundation is saying $1,500 per year by 2035, and the EPA is saying only a rise of $98 to $140 a year. Who do you believe and why are the numbers so far apart?

Since the cost won’t come in the form of a tax, we the people will be yelling at the Utilities and not our government. With that said, PLEASE write or call your Senator and tell them to vote no on cap and trade. Should the bill be passed, you need to keep your eye on the ball. Don’t yell at your utilities, yell at who sponsored this reform.

-JimJones
BorderlineIQ
Jim Jones (BorderlineIQ) on Twitter

Source: Fox News, CBS News, The Hermitage Foundation, EPA, FactCheck.org

One would have to be pretty dense not to see the whole 'C02, man-made, global warming, climate change, cap n' trade' spin is just that so that the government can gain even more control and bleed us even more.

Forum List

Back