Environmentalism: The "Greenist Insanity"

I just found this spot-on review of
"No Turning Back: Dismantling the Fantasies of Environmental Thinking," by Wallace Kaufman

"In the early 1990s Wallace Kaufman saw clearly that the environmental movement had become a fanatical religious cult worshiping Mother Earth. Over that past five years that reality has become clear to everyone except the most radical environmentalists."

Outstanding article........and supported via polls. Except for the real mental cases, nobody gives a fuck about this stuff anymore. And Im laughing..........15 years ago I said it would be a fad when it was still building ( which ended in 2007 ).

People figured out the fuckers were out to steal your wallet.

I ordered the book.

Bravo. You've got the conviction of your wallet.

From Publisher's Weekly:
Science writer and environmentalist Kaufman ( The Beaches Are Moving ) fires broadsides at the environmental movement, which, he argues, has become a religion that ignores the basic principles of science, economics and human nature. Noting that American history has been dominated by the challenge to master and manage nature, he asserts, "the only way to maintain a balance in nature is through sophisticated, often high-tech intervention, such as managing the flow of the Mississippi River or building earthquake-proof skyscapers." Among his targets are programs sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Endangered Species Act, the premises of Al Gore's Earth in the Balance and various recycling programs. In this stimulating volume, Kaufman discusses new technologies and suggests that private enterprises are not necessarily anti-environment and can be beneficial as a resource.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

You might be waiting a while for that copy

From Publisher's Weekly:
Science writer and environmentalist Kaufman ( The Beaches Are Moving ) fires broadsides at the environmental movement, which, he argues, has become a religion that ignores the basic principles of science, economics and human nature. Noting that American history has been dominated by the challenge to master and manage nature, he asserts, "the only way to maintain a balance in nature is through sophisticated, often high-tech intervention, such as managing the flow of the Mississippi River or building earthquake-proof skyscapers." Among his targets are programs sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Endangered Species Act, the premises of Al Gore's Earth in the Balance and various recycling programs. In this stimulating volume, Kaufman discusses new technologies and suggests that private enterprises are not necessarily anti-environment and can be beneficial as a resource.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Shall I let you know when it arrives?

To the point of the thread, how about you attempt to respond to this, from post #32:

.....is environmentalism merely an atavistic attempt to worship Gaia, curtail technology and industry, inflate the power of government?

Is it not based, as communism is, on ending private property?

How many examples of Greenists claiming that the noble savage should be our icon, and learning from same should be our goal?

To the point of the thread, how about you attempt to respond to this, from post #32:

.....is environmentalism merely an atavistic attempt to worship Gaia, curtail technology and industry, inflate the power of government?

Environmentalism does not involve the worship of Gaia. Technology and industry have been inextricably involved in the degradation of the environment. So obviously there will be conflict when attempting to balance human needs

That, I'm afraid, is complete nonsense.

How many examples of Greenists claiming that the noble savage should be our icon, and learning from same should be our goal?

That environmentalists should argue that humans need to learn how to live in greater harmony with Earth's ecosystems and minimize our consumption of - and damage to - its organic resources, should be fully expected. How do you believe environmentalists should work to protect the environment from human damage?

Environmentalism does not involve the worship of Gaia. Technology and industry have been inextricably involved in the degradation of the environment. So obviously there will be conflict when attempting to balance human needs

That environmentalists should argue that humans need to learn how to live in greater harmony with Earth's ecosystems and minimize our consumption of - and damage to - its organic resources, should be fully expected. How do you believe environmentalists should work to protect the environment from human damage?

"Environmentalism does not involve the worship of Gaia."

1. Gaia
    Gaia is the Greek goddess, which personifies the Earth itself. The wordGaia is a compound of two elements: Ge meaning the Earth and Aiameaning Grandmother, often Gaia is referred to as the Mother of Earth.Gaia Myth - Gaiawww.gaia.fi/company/gaia_myth

2. UNITED NATIONS — Bolivia will this month table a draft United Nations treaty giving “Mother Earth” the same rights as humans — having just passed a domestic law that does the same for bugs, trees and all other natural things in the South American country.
The bid aims to have the UN recognize the Earth as a living entity that humans have sought to “dominate and exploit” — to the point that the “well-being and existence of many beings” is now threatened…. It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.UN document would give 'Mother Earth' same rights as humans

3. “In our contemporary era, Earth Day has become the modern celebration of Gaia. Partakers of this event, whether aware of it or not, play off the ancient pagan beliefs of a Universal Mother. Like the sacred oaths taken in her name, today’s Earth Day celebrants sign environmental petitions, make pledges, and announce resolutions in support of Mother Earth. And like the old sacrifices to the deity, today’s Earth Day practitioners offer sacrifices of “good works” to the planet. Not only is the Earth a deity to be venerated, but the Earth itself – as the representative and embodiment of the Goddess – has become a modern day idol.” All For Gaia: Earth Day and Total Transformation for a Post-Christian World « Forcing Change

Me: Madison Bumgarner

You: Strike one!

"That, I'm afraid, is complete nonsense."

1. This from post #1
" Any who dispute the central them is Marxism should consider that ending private property rights is the aim of both Marx and the Greenists.

"a.. The UN Conference on Human Settlements – Vancouver Plan of Action – 1976
This conference created the baseline for the UN’s viewpoint and future actions regarding individual property rights. See pdf page 2 [document page 28] under, Land – Preamble, for their stance on private property. This position is reflected in policies being enacted across the U.S. today. Agenda 21 American Policy CenterAgenda 21 American Policy Center

b. This, from the preamble of the UN Vancouver plan: " Land, because of its unique nature and the crucial role it plays in human settlements, cannot be treated as an ordinary asset, controlled by individuals and subject to the pressures and inefficiencies of the market. Private land ownership is also a principal instrument of accumulation and concentration of wealth and therefore contributes to social injustice; if unchecked, it may become a major obstacle in the planning and implementation of development schemes. "
The Vancouver Action Plan. D. Land - A CONF.70 15 Chapter II - UN Documents Gathering a body of global agreements

2. And, of course this:

From the Communist Manifesto, Marx:
1. Abolition of private property and the application of all rents of land to public purposes.
Communist Manifesto 10 Planks

In America, the eco-fascists do it via regulation, de facto confiscation of the private property right of individuals.
  1. “ It will throw 23 million acres into the non-use category, the second largest wilderness designation in history. 58.5 million acres of roadless areas under the Forest Service’s jurisdiction already acts as de facto wolf and bear habitat and that an additional 23 million acres is set aside in the Grizzly Recovery Plan.” Nickson, “Eco-Fascists,” p.112.
    1. “…areas in Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Wyoming that have habitat suitable for self sustaining grizzly populations.” Grizzly Bear Recovery Program Mission

Two strikes, Casey.

How many examples of Greenists claiming that the noble savage should be our icon, and learning from same should be our goal? (As documented in post #12)

"That environmentalists should argue that humans need to learn how to live in greater harmony with Earth's ecosystems and minimize our consumption of - and damage to - its organic resources, should be fully expected. How do you believe environmentalists should work to protect the environment from human damage?"

You didn't even try to deny that one.....

Strike THREE!

1. Gaia
    Gaia is the Greek goddess, which personifies the Earth itself. The wordGaia is a compound of two elements: Ge meaning the Earth and Aiameaning Grandmother, often Gaia is referred to as the Mother of Earth.Gaia Myth - Gaiawww.gaia.fi/company/gaia_myth

2. UNITED NATIONS — Bolivia will this month table a draft United Nations treaty giving “Mother Earth” the same rights as humans — having just passed a domestic law that does the same for bugs, trees and all other natural things in the South American country.
The bid aims to have the UN recognize the Earth as a living entity that humans have sought to “dominate and exploit” — to the point that the “well-being and existence of many beings” is now threatened…. It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.UN document would give 'Mother Earth' same rights as humans

3. “In our contemporary era, Earth Day has become the modern celebration of Gaia. Partakers of this event, whether aware of it or not, play off the ancient pagan beliefs of a Universal Mother. Like the sacred oaths taken in her name, today’s Earth Day celebrants sign environmental petitions, make pledges, and announce resolutions in support of Mother Earth. And like the old sacrifices to the deity, today’s Earth Day practitioners offer sacrifices of “good works” to the planet. Not only is the Earth a deity to be venerated, but the Earth itself – as the representative and embodiment of the Goddess – has become a modern day idol.” All For Gaia: Earth Day and Total Transformation for a Post-Christian World « Forcing Change

Where ever did you get the idea that the world's environmental movement was run by the Bolivians?

What percentage of environmentalists do you think worship Gaia? One in a hundred? One in a thousand? How many people do you think would assert that they had NO concern for the environment? One in ten thousand?

Your arguments here are absurd. All of them.

1. Gaia

Where ever did you get the idea that the world's environmental movement was run by the Bolivians?

What percentage of environmentalists do you think worship Gaia? One in a hundred? One in a thousand? How many people do you think would assert that they had NO concern for the environment? One in ten thousand?

So...."Environmentalism does not involve the worship of Gaia."

Is now....
"What percentage of environmentalists do you think worship Gaia?"

You remind me of nothing so much as Confederate General Wise, chased by Union General Cox, referring to his retreat a 'retrograde movement' of his troops.

Nice retrograde movement, there.

I don't worship Gaia, and I'm an environmentalist.

Hence, PC is shown to be either moron or liar.

She'll squeal and evade now, being that she's as famous for her intellectual cowardice as she is for her stupidity and dishonesty.

Count me as a Gaia worshipper, and an environmentalist, and a primitivist in many ways, though my greatest fear has materialized; I'm addicted to this damn iPhone.

I'm anti-consumerism. In most ways though, I think solutions are best reached by grassroots methods, not federal mandates.

We didn't need to make Hummers illegal, we just had to convince our neighbors that they look like assholes commuting to office jobs in them.

I don't worship Gaia, and I'm an environmentalist.

Hence, PC is shown to be either moron or liar.

She'll squeal and evade now, being that she's as famous for her intellectual cowardice as she is for her stupidity and dishonesty.

You must be so very proud: you've taken the Art of Clueless to an epic level!

Imagine, believing that whatever you claim about beliefs has any moment!
You are a meaningless cypher, less than flotsam or jetsam, an astoundingly insipid drone.
If there was a Pandora's Box of stupidity, you would be its contents.

True?

I have documented that the pillars of the environmental movement are exactly what Iv'e posted.

It is centered on misconceptions about the earth, about conservation, and is based equally on Marxist doctrine, denial of private property, and, yes, Pagan earth worship.

No, you've pasted some crazy shit, and started crying because everyone laughed at it.

So, same as all your threads. No surprises.

I'd ask if it bothers you, your winning of the "writing style most like The Unibomber" award, if it wasn't so clear that it does.

Count me as a Gaia worshipper, and an environmentalist, and a primitivist in many ways, though my greatest fear has materialized; I'm addicted to this damn iPhone.

I'm anti-consumerism. In most ways though, I think solutions are best reached by grassroots methods, not federal mandates.

We didn't need to make Hummers illegal, we just had to convince our neighbors that they look like assholes commuting to office jobs in them.

Can I offer you an introduction to the other tree-hugger moron in the post above yours?

Perhaps you can split a Mensa membership.

No, you've pasted some crazy shit, and started crying because everyone laughed at it.

So, same as all your threads. No surprises.

I'd ask if it bothers you, your winning of the "writing style most like The Unibomber" award, if it wasn't so clear that it does.

"Crazy" is not the synonym for 'scholarly.'

See...you should have stayed in school and not run off to join the side show.

Can I offer you an introduction to the other tree-hugger moron in the post above yours?

Anger issues?

Somebody needs a bong hit and/or a session of hot yoga

Anger issues?

Somebody needs a bong hit and/or a session of hot yoga

Truth issues, m'man.

Now, back in your tree.

From Publisher's Weekly:

Just received notice....the book is on the way.

No Turning Back
Dismantling the Fantasies of Environmental ThinkingBy Kaufman, Wallace

1. Gaia

It is paramount to PC extreme rhetoric that they ALL worship Gaia... she is totally incapable of any civil discussion.

Forum List

Back