Entitlement

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This stuff is hard to believe, anyone know the median income of the average American? :lol:

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money." George Carlin

"In making salary recommendations for the senior administrators, Nordenberg said, “The increases … are more than justified by the performance of these officers. They are compatible with the raises that have been awarded to others on campus, and the benchmarking that has been done by the committee’s independent consultant would support even larger increases.""

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary." Adam Smith

[snip from article]

"Trustees said they had agreed to Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg’s request that he not receive an increase in his salary of $561,500 for FY12. In December 2010, Nordenberg’s base salary for last year was set at $486,500 but trustees later rolled into that base salary the $75,000 that was part of an annual deferred retention incentive plan awarded to him each year for staying at his job through June 30."

University Times » Retention pay rolled into salary of 3 Pitt senior administrators; chancellor declines FY12 pay raise

And if you need more evidence check here: The Conservative Nanny State

This stuff is hard to believe, anyone know the median income of the average American? :lol:
Trick question! You cannot have a median of an average. I have one.

If a plane crashes on the US-Canada border, does anybody know where they bury the survivors?

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money." George Carlin

Goerge makes it crystal clear

Trick question! You cannot have a median of an average. I have one.

If a plane crashes on the US-Canada border, does anybody know where they bury the survivors?

Why not, let's exclude extremes. Or is that 'typical' American? But then we need to define income and income is often hidden, especially in cash businesses or for the wealthy, or simply left off the tax form. Hm, tough questions. Imagine being paid extra for sticking around as the article details, now imagine the average laid off worker. Odd thought huh. And to think wingnuts pick on unions. :lol:

We need to know when the survivors died and whether they preferred burial or cremation, if cremation burial is iffy and unclear, if you are a practicing Catholic, you would reside in a mausoleum, well your ashes would. Some may want to be buried in their homeland, so we need more info. Your question is too ambiguous and unspecific. I'm considering having my ashes thrown from a Chevy going one hundred miles an hour on a beautiful American road on a sunny spring day. How about you? But I don't want to die in spring, just too nice a time, is there ever a nice time?

"If I was dead, I wouldn’t know I was dead. That’s the only thing I have against death. I want to enjoy my death." Samuel Beckett

"In making salary recommendations for the senior administrators, Nordenberg said, “The increases … are more than justified by the performance of these officers. They are compatible with the raises that have been awarded to others on campus, and the benchmarking that has been done by the committee’s independent consultant would support even larger increases.""

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary." Adam Smith

[snip from article]

"Trustees said they had agreed to Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg’s request that he not receive an increase in his salary of $561,500 for FY12. In December 2010, Nordenberg’s base salary for last year was set at $486,500 but trustees later rolled into that base salary the $75,000 that was part of an annual deferred retention incentive plan awarded to him each year for staying at his job through June 30."

University Times » Retention pay rolled into salary of 3 Pitt senior administrators; chancellor declines FY12 pay raise

I am a little confused, I thought Republicans hate education, how is it their fault that universities pay high salaries?

[snip from article]

I am a little confused, I thought Republicans hate education, how is it their fault that universities pay high salaries?

It's the sports.

[snip from article]

It's the sports.

Democrats hate sports? When did that happen?

Not at all, if you tax the rich, he meant to say, they have less to invest and the economy suffers as a result.

"A market where chief executive officers make 262 times that of the average worker and 821 times that of the minimum-wage worker is not a market that is working well. And it is surely not working well enough to build a solid middle class." Marcy Kaptur

No one mentioned republicans except you, guilty conscience?

It's the sports.

I heard a proposal recently that college players be paid? Can you imagine that, it is a fascinating thought but consider they (many) are already paid through free education. America's worship of games is a fascinating comment on the modern world.

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in [five years] a year than a professional athlete earns in [one game] a whole week." Evan Esar
[brackets are my edit for today]

Not at all, if you tax the rich, he meant to say, they have less to invest and the economy suffers as a result.

That assumes that the Bush tax cuts created a robust and vibrant economy, were you asleep these last ten years? See my sig,

The interesting point in this discussion is how the wealthy reward themselves based on nothing more than the ability to do so and a sense of entitlement along with a lack of moral conscience. Citizens United proves how powerful money is in America, a warning Lincoln and Eisenhower gave long ago, but then again the Bible noted it even earlier. :lol:

Another example is below, this is a republican QW but it still exempliefies our corrupt modern landscape of political privilege. 'Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys,' politicians or sports is the way to go. ;)

Way to go Rick.

"In 2006, the Republican presidential hopeful earned about $200,000 from his Senate salary and book royalties. From January 2010 to August 2011, he earned at least $1.3 million as he cashed in on his 16 years in Congress by working as a corporate consultant, political pundit and board member."

[..]

"Much of the money Santorum earned in recent years was for his work as a board member for a large health care company and consulting for a Pennsylvania energy company and a Washington lobbying firm." Santorum's income has soared since he left Senate - Houston Chronicle

"According to USA today, the average length of an attention span of a man in America is 23 minutes." Robert Fripp

It's the sports.

I heard a proposal recently that college players be paid? Can you imagine that, it is a fascinating thought but consider they (many) are already paid through free education. America's worship of games is a fascinating comment on the modern world.

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in [five years] a year than a professional athlete earns in [one game] a whole week." Evan Esar
[brackets are my edit for today]

99.9% of NCAA athletics and 100% of the athletics of every other college sanctioning organizations are penny ante sports. Very few NCAA athletes receive any scholarship and very few ever play before a sold out crowd. Many, probably most, charge nothing for people to come see them play and those that do by and large charge something on the order of $10.00 to come sit in their bleachers. Most people at your average NCAA event are the parents and friends of the athletes.

Even the most successful football and basketball teams often play in small stadiums that have trouble filling the stands. The number of marquis football and basketball teams in the NCAA is an extremely small percentage of programs. For the most part college athletes play for love of school and team.

Probably the NFL just needs to finance a proper D league and the whole conversation goes away.

Do you believe that to be true under every economic circumstance, EB?

Do you also then believe that under every economic circumstance if big capital can depress wages, the consumers have less to spend, and the economy suffers as a result, too?

Or are you conversant enough with reality of macro-economics to understand that different economic circumstances demand different economic and social policies?

"A market where chief executive officers make 262 times that of the average worker and 821 times that of the minimum-wage worker is not a market that is working well. And it is surely not working well enough to build a solid middle class." Marcy Kaptur

I see you found a quote, when are you going to learn to think?

No one mentioned republicans except you, guilty conscience?

Are you saying all your previous post equating conservatives and Republicans were wrong?

That assumes that the Bush tax cuts created a robust and vibrant economy, were you asleep these last ten years? See my sig,

Dear, the economy tanked because of the Fanny Freddie liberal housing crisis, not the Bush tax cuts

Last edited:

What is it with people who need to quote the opinions of others rather than allowing their own opinions to develop independently? Are 'you people' all too fucking stupid to think for yourselves?

George is an idiot if he thinks that 'Conservatives' say what he claims they say. And you are an idiot for following blindly instead of thinking for yourself.... and so is Midcan for her inability to post a single thought that does not originate in someone else's head.

Shame on you fucking sheeple.

Dear, the economy tanked because of the Fanny Freddie liberal housing crisis, not the Bush tax cuts

No, the economy tanked because of crazy investment products cooked up by Wall Streeters.

No, the economy tanked because of crazy investment products cooked up by Wall Streeters.

No, it didn't. It tanked because of a global imbalance between countries who consume too much and produce too little (like the US) and those who produce too much and consume too little (like China). But please don't let reality hit you in the ass. I know it's much more convenient to believe that 'the other guy' did it.

No, it didn't. It tanked because of a global imbalance between countries who consume too much and produce too little (like the US) and those who produce too much and consume too little (like China). But please don't let reality hit you in the ass. I know it's much more convenient to believe that 'the other guy' did it.

I disagree. The collapse of 2008 was a failure of credit markets.

I am always amazed that the best criticism the right wingers can give is that you backup your ideas with either quotations or sources. Do conservatives sit in empty noiseless rooms, and then through some magical unknown and unexplained medium, receive their brains, their minds and their knowledge. Can a wingunt please explain that process so that it makes sense to those of us who live in a world of information that must be culled, explained, and held up against the real world in which we live. Please tell us how that works, that ability you have to know things that you never heard read or were told? I'll wait for your explanation of life and learning in the vacuum of dark matter, life outside the social sphere. Should be interesting.

That myth has been destroyed so many times you need a new scapegoat. (Here's one piece of info. The little-known reason why investment banks got too big, too greedy, too risky, and too powerful. - Slate Magazine )

But consider that Bush lowered taxes and the economy has gone downhill since, is that coincidence? Consider too that Reagan and Clinton raised taxes and did much better.

"In terms of promoting economic growth, the Bush tax cuts have been a miserable failure. Under George W. Bush, U.S. GDP growth averaged 2.1 percent a year. Since the end of World War II, the country has never experienced such low economic growth during an eight-year period. And if you exclude the war demobilization of 1946, when U.S. government spending fell by two-thirds and GDP fell by 10.9 percent, Bush had the worst economic record since Herbert Hoover." The Bush Tax Cuts: Failure Analysis by David Fiderer ? Failure magazine |

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well." Tax cuts spur economic growth

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

-

Forum List

Back