Enron May End Up Sinking DeLay

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
sounds like some of those charges from the dems about tom delay's immoral and illegal activities may have some truth to them... WP's lead story today... its a doozy but here's some highlights... should be interesting to see how this all plays out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43219-2004Jul11.html?referrer=email

But DeLay and his colleagues also face serious legal challenges: Texas law bars corporate financing of state legislature campaigns, and a Texas criminal prosecutor is in the 20th month of digging through records of the fundraising, looking at possible violations of at least three statutes.

Documents unearthed in the probe make clear that DeLay was central to creating and overseeing the fundraising. What the prosecutors are still assessing is who knew about the day-to-day operations of TRMPAC and how its money was used to benefit Texas House candidates

DeLay declined to comment for this article. Stuart Roy, his spokesman, said: "DeLay is doing everything moral, legal and ethical to increase the Republican majority and advance conservative ideas. He raised legal campaign money for effective political activity and that makes his critics enraged. Unfortunately, some Democrats are making an attempt to criminalize politics."

Cristen D. Feldman, the Texas lawyer who filed the suit, said in response, "I guess DeLay and his team forgot they were from Texas . . . [where] the prohibition against clandestine corporate cash is 100 years old."

Texas is one of 18 states that bar political contributions from corporations for election purposes. But the law has an exception for expenses incurred by political action committees. At issue in Earle's probe, and the lawsuit, is whether the law permits corporations to finance only routine administrative expenses, such as rent, as an official of the Texas Ethics Commission contends, or whether the law permits corporations to finance virtually any activity besides direct contributions to candidates, as TRMPAC's lawyer contends

Nato, why bother? I can post as many articles showing that democrats took huge amounts of quid pro quo money from Enron also.

that is why these threads never get any legs. these articles against the republicans are biased pieces meant to give the GOP a blackeye. I am not saying that none of it is true, but the dems usually back off these stories as they know they were just as corrupted by Enron as the GOP.

Isn't it asking alot of a particular candidates staff to not only ensure that (one of many thousands) of those who contribute to the fund is not only a legal citizen and also under the limit, but also bulletproof from any future anticipated scandal?

You'd pretty much have to employ a foolproof soothsayer in order to anticipate each future scandal in advance.

Until then, it's all money in the bank as far as each campaign is concerned.

okay, i think i probably put a bad title on this thread

first of all, yes, the dems are dirty with enron too... in mentioning enron in the title, i'm just showing that this whole enron mess is seemingly going to take delay down it.... the article is noteworthy because he is THE major republican leader in the House, hastert can't compete with this guy's firebrand style and dedication to cause.

2nd- while there are GOP vs. DEM overtones in the article and in the investigation, the prosecutor involved has actually prosecuted 3 times more dems than republicans (12 to 4) for corruption. he's gonna get delay if he's guilty, and do it in the name of justice, not in politics.

3rd- its a law texas has had for over 100 years. its fairly cut and dry, it all comes down to "Texas is one of 18 states that bar political contributions from corporations for election purposes. But the law has an exception for expenses incurred by political action committees. At issue in Earle's probe, and the lawsuit, is whether the law permits corporations to finance only routine administrative expenses, such as rent, as an official of the Texas Ethics Commission contends, or whether the law permits corporations to finance virtually any activity besides direct contributions to candidates, as TRMPAC's lawyer contends."

who knows what will happen? but the potential loss of delay as a moral and political force in GOP politics in the House is not something to be lightly taken. and as such, he's the highest ranking person i know (dem or republican) who is in real danger b/c of any dealings with enron... there is as of yet no credible evidence linking cheney or anybody else, but delay, to any of this enron business.

Interesting, I agree.

I vaugely remember a scandal centering on a Clinton campaign contribution from a group of Chinese nationals, but even then the story didn't have legs.

I wonder whether the same will come of this particular issue.

was that deal seperate to all the scandal around gore and that guy that got all the lincoln bedroom overnight stays?

the clinton years were just one big scandal after the other, it just sickened me... now it seems the past six months has been like that for bush, i only hope this string stops soon.

this is the thing i don't get about delay's problems right now... he knows the rule book of congressional house procedures inside and out, syllable by syllable... how could he not have known how risky this deal was? he just seems not only too smart, but too careful for it.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Nato, why bother? I can post as many articles showing that democrats took huge amounts of quid pro quo money from Enron also.

that is why these threads never get any legs. these articles against the republicans are biased pieces meant to give the GOP a blackeye. I am not saying that none of it is true, but the dems usually back off these stories as they know they were just as corrupted by Enron as the GOP.

this is about a specific violation of texas law, not federal election law.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
was that deal seperate to all the scandal around gore and that guy that got all the lincoln bedroom overnight stays?

the clinton years were just one big scandal after the other, it just sickened me... now it seems the past six months has been like that for bush, i only hope this string stops soon.

this is the thing i don't get about delay's problems right now... he knows the rule book of congressional house procedures inside and out, syllable by syllable... how could he not have known how risky this deal was? he just seems not only too smart, but too careful for it.

how are you tying delay to bush?

i'm not tying him to bush... i just mentioned both in seperate parts of my post

i'm wondering two big things in this area:
how could delay screw up like this if he did indeed screw up? the guy is known to be the best at what he does and know more about procedure and rules than everyone, how could he stumble?
and
how many more scandals will hit bush? (mostly due to the largest group of leakers ever in washington history)

(you got me thinking about the bush scandals when we talked about how chronic scandals were in the clinton admin, one scandal after another from day one) bush not so bad, but it has been bad in the last 6 months, just wondering if its gonna continue or are we at a stopping point?

you're saying you are not tying him to bush and then you go on to write:

So therefore, you are trying to make an unproven link between Bush and what DeLay is facing.

how many more scandals will hit bush?

free, i started talking about bush when you mentioned clinton and gore's corruption...

again... after saying that there was scandal after scandal in the clinton white house, the bush white house had avoided that for 3 years. now in the past six months, its been scandal after scandal

i say this in conjunction with all the corruption of the clinton & gore admin, kind of admiring how bush had kept his admin's nose clean for 3 years.

delay's problems have been a long time coming... have nothing to do with bush & enron, just with enron

free, i started talking about bush when you mentioned clinton and gore's corruption...

again... after saying that there was scandal after scandal in the clinton white house, the bush white house had avoided that for 3 years. now in the past six months, its been scandal after scandal

i say this in conjunction with all the corruption of the clinton & gore admin, kind of admiring how bush had kept his admin's nose clean for 3 years.

delay's problems have been a long time coming... have nothing to do with bush & enron, just with enron

I didn't mention Clinton. It was Comrade. you keep saying that Bush has a bunch of scandals. Lay them out for me please as I can't think of any that have even the slightest simblance of having any legs. The closest would be the thing about Joseph Wilson's wife, but that is already being proven false also. So I don't understand what scandals you are talking about that involves Bush.

1) prisoner abuse scandal

2) numerous officials being forced to quit because they have dissenting views or dared to criticize (most recently the parks chief)

3) Iraq intelligence scandal

4) Joseph Wilson scandal

5) Social Security scandal

the thing is, most of clinton's scandals didn't define his presidency, Whitewater/Lewinsky did. Same thing with Reagan & Nixon... several scandals, only one or two really stuck. Hopefully for Bush's sake none of these or any future ones will stick.

now hey wilson may have been wrong, but WTF is the evidence that his wife wasn't a CIA agent? just because he was wrong, that doesn't lessen how vile and low it was to out a CIA agent for political reasons, in fact it makes it even more pathetic.

1) prisoner abuse scandal

2) numerous officials being forced to quit because they have dissenting views or dared to criticize (most recently the parks chief)

3) Iraq intelligence scandal

4) Joseph Wilson scandal

5) Social Security scandal

6) Cheney and his secretive energy task force

7) Cheney's old Halliburton ripping of tax payers

8) lies of the "Healthy Forest Initiative"

9) lies about the cost of the war in Iraq

10) lies about the tax cuts (Bush said "tax relief is for everyone who pays income tax"; but 8.1 million middle and lower class taxpayers received no money back last year)

10) lies about the tax cuts (Bush said "tax relief is for everyone who pays income tax"; but 8.1 million middle and lower class taxpayers received no money back last year)

are you really that stupid? The key statement is "tax relief is for everyone who pays income tax". Those 8.1 million and lower class tax payers didn't pay any taxes to get back. plus, EVERYBODY did get a $400 and some odd $ check from Uncle Sam so wtf are you talking about?

Plus, none of the "scandals" you both mention have ANY legs. So they are not scandals, they are accusation that have been disproven but for which the liberals will not let go of the HOPE of there being a scandal.

who knows what will happen? but the potential loss of delay as a moral and political force in GOP politics in the House is not something to be lightly taken. and as such, he's the highest ranking person i know (dem or republican) who is in real danger b/c of any dealings with enron... there is as of yet no credible evidence linking cheney or anybody else, but delay, to any of this enron business.

October 10, 2012

Bugs DeLay; Still Runnin' FREE!

"A lawyer for former U.S. House of Representatives Majority Leader Tom DeLay asked a Texas appeals court on Wednesday to overturn the Republican's 2010 convictions for money laundering and conspiracy, calling the case "the most nakedly political prosecution I've seen."

Known as "The Hammer" for his tough political tactics, DeLay was found guilty of conspiring to illegally funnel $190,000 in corporate campaign donations to Republican candidates for the Texas Legislature in the 2002 elections.

DeLay was sentenced in January 2011 to three years in prison but has been free pending the appeal."

:lol:

Do your TIME, BUGS!!!

hammer2slammer.jpg

Impressive grave digging, Mr. Shithead.

But you DO realize how stupid this makes you leftists look, right?

I swear these people are on some type of acid or something. Digging something up from 2004

But they dont want anything done to their dear leader for Fast and Furious , And Libya. Who did delay kill.. NONE ONE .. 6 people dead on Obama watch that is cool to them :eusa_shifty:

New Topics

Forum List

Back