Enough is Enough...Katrina my ass!

So Las Vegas would not dry up!

fuzzykitten99 said:
i wouldn't know, as i live in the land of 10k *cough*liberals*cough* lakes .

actually, i just got back from Vegas and when we visited the hoover dam, the tour people told us that the snow from the mountains that melts every year, practically guarantees a water supply, though it varies from year to year.

Simba23 said:
So Las Vegas would not dry up!

http://www.romanconcrete.com/docs/hooverdam/hooverdam.htm
During the 1920's and 30's, electric power became a dominant power source to drive industrial profits, so as an afterthought in the late planning stages, hydroelectric generators were to be installed and operated by dropping massive amounts of water through penstocks in the dam. This became the ideal source of repayment. The dam provided over 2 million kilowatts of energy to expand the nation’s economy in the West and became a vital factor in World War II. By 1976 (40 years of operation) the project had grossed $378 million representing a return to Uncle Sam of over $202 million, an excellent business venture of the Bureau by any standard. In 1986 the project was stamped "paid," but it continues to produce millions for the government coffers

Simba23 said:
Well who paid for it and who was it to benefit?
The taxpayer of course----how are we gonna get our investment back from low income housing, bars and strip joints?

Look--I'm sure every town in America wants federal money. Is it too much to ask that it be spent wisely this time or would you just be happy to give Austin $200 billion with no questions asked?

Rebuilding is for infrastructure, not strip joints or bars and you know that so don't be an ass.

This is the perfect time for an investment in New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast. Resurrect and totally revamp a school system that is one of the worst performing in the US (a major cause of the crime and poverty that was so evident on the news), Bulldoze the public housing and rebuild subsidized housing in neighborhood environments, not jam 15,000 people in one development. With 17+ institutes of higher education in the region, develop a technological industry zone (this was and still is on the drawing board in one parish) along with training for the undereducated. The medical community was always a major industry in the area and it will return.

Personally I would like to see a more regionalized approach to business and industry with a modern mass transit infrastructure...the emphasis on technology and medical. Tourism will always be a major player, but should not be the main industry because it only creates service jobs which are low paying and do not require much education.

I promise you the majority of the citizens of this area do not want welfare. Just what you would want...a helping hand to rebuild the area better than it was.

Simba23 said:
Rebuilding is for infrastructure, not strip joints or bars and you know that so don't be an ass.

This is the perfect time for an investment in New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast. Resurrect and totally revamp a school system that is one of the worst performing in the US (a major cause of the crime and poverty that was so evident on the news), Bulldoze the public housing and rebuild subsidized housing in neighborhood environments, not jam 15,000 people in one development. With 17+ institutes of higher education in the region, develop a technological industry zone (this was and still is on the drawing board in one parish) along with training for the undereducated. The medical community was always a major industry in the area and it will return.

Personally I would like to see a more regionalized approach to business and industry with a modern mass transit infrastructure...the emphasis on technology and medical. Tourism will always be a major player, but should not be the main industry because it only creates service jobs which are low paying and do not require much education.

I promise you the majority of the citizens of this area do not want welfare. Just what you would want...a helping hand to rebuild the area better than it was.

I'm aware of what rebuilding is so you're gonna have to just pardon my doubts about the local, state and federal governments' ability to do it right.
I don't have a big history of successes to look back on. The "Big Dig" keeps coming to mind. Do you blame any doubters?

But for someone who lives and works in this area and has been effected by the loss of 80% of my client base to read the BS and sometimes plain old hatred spewed on this board is at best disheartning. If you don't have hope you don't have anything.

I would welcome federal oversight of a rebuilding project. I was not aware of the "Big Dig". I am now.

Simba23 said:

What a sweet little dream you've got there simba, you say you live in New Orleans? How often are you accused of having a childlike tendency to be extraordinarily naive? I'm guessing that you are a Democrat because only a pie in the sky Democrat could actually believe what you have written.

"Resurrect and totally revamp a school system that is one of the worst performing in the US (a major cause of the crime and poverty that was so evident on the news),

You can build the finest schools and stock them with the smartest most gifted teachers and throw billions into it but if the people that you are trying to educate think that if you want to do well in school you're trying to act like whitey. . . "nobody gonna learn nuttin".

How often have projects been bulldozed and rebuilt into something nice and new only to be destroyed like the Superdome? I know I have seen it happen across the nation. That is a problem when one is always given enough to live without a need inside the recipient to progress. This country has spent trillions starting with FDR's New Deal and continuing with LBJ's Great Society, New Orleans is the result. You have bred an entire 2-3 generations of the entitled poor. The only contribution to society is more mouths to feed and the cost is staggering.

Here of course is where you throw the corporate welfare argument at me, don't bother, at least we usually get something for the dollars when corporations (groups of individuals with a common goal to produce something) are funded. Throw back ENRON and I'll just throw back the political history of New Orleans. Tax dollars have been allocated and have been spent on other pet projects rather than what it was needed for.

Who will ride your mass transit system, people that have to be given tax funded tickets to ride. . . you can't keep it running on non rev riders.

What technology leaders would want to relocate to New Orleans when there are plenty of places with a better climate, smarter worker base, is'nt 10 feet below sea level, doesn't have the highest murder rate in the nation, has a citizen base that contribute to society. . . you know little considerations like that. Will you be importing tech. workers from India or China?

Your idea is cute but we would have better luck converting North Korea than the Big Easy.

I noticed that in your list of must dos you didn't mention replacing every local and state politician in power, NOW.

sitarro said:
What a sweet little dream you've got there simba, you say you live in New Orleans? How often are you accused of having a childlike tendency to be extraordinarily naive? I'm guessing that you are a Democrat because only a pie in the sky Democrat could actually believe what you have written.

"Resurrect and totally revamp a school system that is one of the worst performing in the US (a major cause of the crime and poverty that was so evident on the news),

You can build the finest schools and stock them with the smartest most gifted teachers and throw billions into it but if the people that you are trying to educate think that if you want to do well in school you're trying to act like whitey. . . "nobody gonna learn nuttin".

How often have projects been bulldozed and rebuilt into something nice and new only to be destroyed like the Superdome? I know I have seen it happen across the nation. That is a problem when one is always given enough to live without a need inside the recipient to progress. This country has spent trillions starting with FDR's New Deal and continuing with LBJ's Great Society, New Orleans is the result. You have bred an entire 2-3 generations of the entitled poor. The only contribution to society is more mouths to feed and the cost is staggering.

Here of course is where you throw the corporate welfare argument at me, don't bother, at least we usually get something for the dollars when corporations (groups of individuals with a common goal to produce something) are funded. Throw back ENRON and I'll just throw back the political history of New Orleans. Tax dollars have been allocated and have been spent on other pet projects rather than what it was needed for.

Who will ride your mass transit system, people that have to be given tax funded tickets to ride. . . you can't keep it running on non rev riders.

What technology leaders would want to relocate to New Orleans when there are plenty of places with a better climate, smarter worker base, is'nt 10 feet below sea level, doesn't have the highest murder rate in the nation, has a citizen base that contribute to society. . . you know little considerations like that. Will you be importing tech. workers from India or China?

Your idea is cute but we would have better luck converting North Korea than the Big Easy.

I noticed that in your list of must dos you didn't mention replacing every local and state politician in power, NOW.

If memory serves you are from North Louisiana. There has always been a division within the state. Did you know that 40% of the state taxes comes from New Orleans. You may have hated the city but now is not the time for hate or division. Now is the time for rebuilding.

If they rebuild, they need to put building codes in place to require every structure to be on stilts, like we have on the west end of Galveston TX.

I guarantee you that I saw that hurricane coming....and with 24 hours to get out, car or not I asure you I would have gotten my family away from that drowning pool one way or another. Government bailouts can never be a substitute for personal responsibility.

speederdoc said:
If they rebuild, they need to put building codes in place to require every structure to be on stilts, like we have on the west end of Galveston TX.

I guarantee you that I saw that hurricane coming....and with 24 hours to get out, car or not I asure you I would have gotten my family away from that drowning pool one way or another. Government bailouts can never be a substitute for personal responsibility.
so why is this so crazy that people didnt understand it? seems simple to me

Johnney said:

We are talking about thousands of people who believe that the government can, should and will do everything for them. What's more amazing is even after all this they will continue to believe it. In addition we have MILLIONS of Americans who weren't even affected by Katrina who feel the exact same way, hence the blame game.

The United States could get hit by a fricken asteroid and the people with this mentality would wonder why the Govt didn't;

A---stop it
B---rescue them fast enough

rcajun90 said:
If memory serves you are from North Louisiana. There has always been a division within the state. Did you know that 40% of the state taxes comes from New Orleans. You may have hated the city but now is not the time for hate or division. Now is the time for rebuilding.

No, memory isn't serving you. I am originally from Lafayette, Louisiana where I spent a total of 16 years of my 51. Never been a big fan of Louisiana in general but I always disliked New Orleans from the music to the nasty Creole food. Most of all I have always hated the attitude that is summed up in the nickname . . .The Big Easy.
Architecturally disgusting the only thing that I would really want saved is the trees. The majority of Louisiana has received what they want(they elected these useless jerks), corrupt government that looks like them and has no idea what to do or how to do it. The state has been an embarrassment or so long it is hard to come up with anything they have done right except maybe po'boys.
New Orleans may bring in 40% of the state's finances (don't care enough to look it up) but it blows more. Whether it is the corrupt way tourists are taken advantage of or the way the oil industry has been allowed to destroy the fragile environment along the Gulf or the "I don't give a shit" attitude. . . I don't care about my old home state. For the last 9 years I have lived 4 hours away by car but have only been to Lafayette once for a funeral, who wants to take the chance of being a victim of the state police shakedowns.
What exactly do you want to spend billions to save? You will end up with the same results that were seen by the rest of the country when the World's Fair was foolishly brought to N.O. You will spend a lot of other people's money and end up with a few people stealing most of it and a poorly designed, half finished, giant project that will continue to be the same thing until it finally dies. New Orleans is a town where the inevitable finally caught up to it and it needs a radically different approach to change it into anything worth the effort, it just aint gonna happen.
As I write this that idiot mayor is fighting to again, do the wrong thing by lettig people back into the disaster area so that we, the rest of the nation, can be blamed when they get sick and die or spread the sickness to the generous that will continue to help people that won't help themselves.

sitarro said:
No, memory isn't serving you. I am originally from Lafayette, Louisiana where I spent a total of 16 years of my 51. Never been a big fan of Louisiana in general but I always disliked New Orleans from the music to the nasty Creole food.

Just out of curiousity, do you dislike all New Orleans music past and present? Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, the Meters, the Nevilles, Dr. John, Dirty Dozen and the rest? Or just what's happening now?

I've never heard of anyone not liking New Orleans music.
:huh:

Nuc said:
Just out of curiousity, do you dislike all New Orleans music past and present? Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, the Meters, the Nevilles, Dr. John, Dirty Dozen and the rest? Or just what's happening now?

I've never heard of anyone not liking New Orleans music.
:huh:

I like Dr, John but have never liked New Orleans jazz or blues in general .

I don't like rap, hip hop or whatever they are calling it this hour or country.

I do like modern jazz like Keiko Matsui, Earl Klugh, The Rippingtons, Boney James, Joe Sample, Fourplay, Paul Taylor, Jesse Cook, Peter White . . . . etc.
I also like Evanescence, Linkin Park, Bond, Massive Attack, Enigma, Frou Frou, Lacuna Coil, Muse, Los Lonely Boys, tATU, Zero 7. . .etc.

Others that have been in my collection for a long time and still listen to are. . . Santana, Seal, Joni Mitchell, Allman Brothers, It's A Beaytiful Day, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young, Alan Parsons Project, Yes, Lou Rawls, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, K.D.Lang, Dido, Anita Baker, Laura Fabian, Ottmar Liebert, Renaissance, Tears for Fears, Roxy Music, Sade, Talk Talk, Luther Vandross, Sting , Animal Logic, Tori Amos, Doobie Brothers, Toto, Jefferson Airplane and even George Michaels and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Also of course, ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vahn along with Jimi Hendrix and Eric Johnson.

Never been much of a brass fan, maybe that is why Nw Orleans music has never done anything for me. I do like dancing to progressive cajun music like Couteau or The Red Beans and Rice Revue along with Austin 's Asleep at the Wheel or Marci Ball.

There are many more but I think I've overdone it already. :coffee3:

sitarro said:
I like Dr, John but have never liked New Orleans jazz or blues in general .

I don't like rap, hip hop or whatever they are calling it this hour or country.

I do like modern jazz like Keiko Matsui, Earl Klugh, The Rippingtons, Boney James, Joe Sample, Fourplay, Paul Taylor, Jesse Cook, Peter White . . . . etc.
I also like Evanescence, Linkin Park, Bond, Massive Attack, Enigma, Frou Frou, Lacuna Coil, Muse, Los Lonely Boys, tATU, Zero 7. . .etc.

Others that have been in my collection for a long time and still listen to are. . . Santana, Seal, Joni Mitchell, Allman Brothers, It's A Beaytiful Day, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young, Alan Parsons Project, Yes, Lou Rawls, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, K.D.Lang, Dido, Anita Baker, Laura Fabian, Ottmar Liebert, Renaissance, Tears for Fears, Roxy Music, Sade, Talk Talk, Luther Vandross, Sting , Animal Logic, Tori Amos, Doobie Brothers, Toto, Jefferson Airplane and even George Michaels and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Also of course, ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vahn along with Jimi Hendrix and Eric Johnson.

Never been much of a brass fan, maybe that is why Nw Orleans music has never done anything for me. I do like dancing to progressive cajun music like Couteau or The Red Beans and Rice Revue along with Austin 's Asleep at the Wheel or Marci Ball.

There are many more but I think I've overdone it already. :coffee3:

Looks like you have fairly broad taste in music. New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz, and as such I respect the legacy, because without jazz life would be pretty boring.

Johnney said:
I've lived here all my life and you usually run from one or two canes a year and nothing much happens. You lose respect for them. When Katrinia was a cat. 1 I wasn't going anyplace when it became a cat. 5 I booked it.

rcajun90 said:
I've lived here all my life and you usually run from one or two canes a year and nothing much happens. You lose respect for them. When Katrinia was a cat. 1 I wasn't going anyplace when it became a cat. 5 I booked it.

won't you tell me your name...are you Nagin?...just curious as Hello...Hello is a sixtees song..."The name game"!!!!!

dilloduck said:
Where is the EPA?----I've never seen a better opportunity to reclaim wetlands and save the taxpayers billions at the same time. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen Bush do.

The wetlands or at least some of them should be brought back as this would help create a natural buffer against flooding, there would still be the french quarter as that was the original NO and built on higher ground so isn't it possible to rebuild on some of the land, and give some back to nature. And please no more projects!!!!!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Bonnie said:
The wetlands or at least some of them should be brought back as this would help create a natural buffer against flooding, there would still be the french quarter as that was the original NO and built on higher ground so isn't it possible to rebuild on some of the land, and give some back to nature. And please no more projects!!!!!!!

the original French Quarter was built on "High Ground" to not disturb the natural flood plain....something the 1700's French understood...why man can't learn from history is beyond my comprehension...so sorry!

Forum List

Back