enough about Muslim dress codes, how about those Raskolniki?

Sep 12, 2008
For some reason Oregon has a large population of "Old Believers." Folks who didn't like Peter I's reform of the Orthodox church back in 1690s.

They women still dress modestly. Long dresses, head coverings, blouses that button up to the neck and long sleeves. You don't see them around much, they mostly hang around Woodburn, but they hare here and there. I saw one of them working at the DMV last Saturday, and I ran into a couple here at school yesterday.

If we are going to hate on Muslim women, should we also hate on the Raskolniki, who are a bit weirder than their muslim sisters, who often wear really clingy dresses with low bodices with their headscarves?

And Just for Rdean's benifit, these women are all

Russians!

If we are going to hate on Muslim women, should we also hate on the Raskolniki, who are a bit weirder than their muslim sisters, who often wear really clingy dresses with low bodices with their headscarves?

Russians!

Now why would we hate the Raskolniki? They didn't fly planes into the World Trade Center and kill thousands of Americans......

Traditional Russian head covering:

woman06.jpg

LaviaTraditionalDress.jpg

Traditional Muslim head covering:

HijabREX_228x381.jpg

Burkha-3.jpg

Notice any difference? ...

For some reason Oregon has a large population of "Old Believers." Folks who didn't like Peter I's reform of the Orthodox church back in 1690s.

They women still dress modestly. Long dresses, head coverings, blouses that button up to the neck and long sleeves. You don't see them around much, they mostly hang around Woodburn, but they hare here and there. I saw one of them working at the DMV last Saturday, and I ran into a couple here at school yesterday.

And Just for Rdean's benifit, these women are all

Russians!

The Raskolniki were just pissed because Peter the Great made them shave their beards off...

New Topics

Forum List

Back