Enjoying Break, Anticipating 1/5/09

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
The week before Christmas and the week after are great times for friends and family, we should all enjoy them.

But those few days before Christmas often are times when politicians drop bomblets they hope will defuse themselves over the coming 10 days or so, so it goes with the news about Richardson and that Obama and a couple of his top administrators in waiting were interviewed by the FBI. The stories were reported, once, and Obama took off for Hawaii, appearing for a photo op with troops stationed there. Emanuel, he took off for 4 weeks in Africa. Of course, they have all the time in the world to get ready for 1/20. No pressing problems, they got those nominees names out, right?

Is any 'news bomblet' tucked into these days surrounding christmas on topic for this thread?

Is any 'news bomblet' tucked into these days surrounding christmas on topic for this thread?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but traditionally politicians do this, an inaugural year even more so. I always enjoy the time with family, resting, and getting caught up around the house and all. However, watching or reading the 'news' is tedious, there's no there, there. It's the reason that it's all 'feel good' or blood & guts stories. The only 'hint' of news are the blips in the days before Christmas, which really won't roll, if they do, until after New Year's.

More of an observation is all.

I suppose your initial post got me to wondering if it is just a coincidence that Connell died the Friday before Christmas. But I don't want to derail your thread, honestly.

I suppose your initial post got me to wondering if it is just a coincidence that Connell died the Friday before Christmas. But I don't want to derail your thread, honestly.

That would be interesting indeed, however more like the Clinton killed his enemies than burying news stories, no?

It does make me ill to consider, and I won't try to argue that the nation's leaders are murderers. On the other hand, I am becoming more and more convinced with the passage of time that DC is truly a strange 'bubble' with the psychological implications of that, and that power does indeed lead to a person feeling above the law (ie corrupts.) I did not believe these things when I was younger but I have to admit that politicians do not come across to me as honest and frank and open as a normal person on the street. There is something very odd about the psychological effects of political service.

I think it is generally recognized that vote-stealing happens. On both sides. That is a step down a path that should not be started. I don't see people becoming more honest once they start stealing votes.

Last edited:
It does make me ill to consider, and I won't try to argue that the nation's leaders are murderers. On the other hand, I am becoming more and more convinced with the passage of time that DC is truly a strange 'bubble' with the psychological implications of that, and that power does indeed lead to a person feeling above the law (ie corrupts.) I did not believe these things when I was younger but I have to admit that politicians do not come across to me as honest and frank and open as a normal person on the street. There is something very odd about the psychological effects of political service.

I've never been one to put pols on a pedestal, I'm from Chicago and came to age in the shadow of Watergate. With that said, still think there's a difference between inflated egos, power headswells, and murder. Just not much of a conspiracy person. Just ask, etos. :lol:

Forum List

Back