English teachers now required to speak english fluently

The solution is easy. Import English, English teachers. Those who write and speak the 'Received Pronunciation' version of standard English, otherwise known as Queen's English or Oxford English. No accent! :razz:

Colin....how come i cant detect your Accent when you type?.....:lol:

The solution is easy. Import English, English teachers. Those who write and speak the 'Received Pronunciation' version of standard English, otherwise known as Queen's English or Oxford English. No accent! :razz:
:lol: I have a British friend that can perfectly mimic an American accent. I guess he'll do okay if he teaches in Arizona...he'll be able to fool them all.

half the actors on American TV are either Brits or Aussies....some i had no idea they were until i read about the actor....

Well of course you can't Harry. I speak standard English a la Oxford English. There is no accent old chap. It's you guys that have the accents. :tongue:

I has question:

Don't you need a license to teach ESL?

This provision seems pointless and/or redundant. Doesn't the school board make the determination if someone is capable of teaching ESL based on fulfilling the requirements of the license, and that it would--and should--then be student and parent complaints that drive the decision about how much the teacher's accent impedes the teaching?

If this provision allows for a Federal official to arbitrarily make that determination based on personal preferences rather than student and parent feedback, then this seems like a gross example of Federal overreach.

When will Americans say "enough". If bleeding heart want to support illegals, let them send checks to mexico.

Well of course you can't Harry. I speak standard English a la Oxford English. There is no accent old chap. It's you guys that have the accents. :tongue:

Reminds me of one of our Arkansas relatives who was delighted when Jimmy Carter, a 100% Georgian, was elected President and gushed, "Finally, we have a president who doesn't speak with an accent!"

Actually I love hearing different accents and like to guess where each is from. I can differentiate between somebody from Dallas and somebody from Houston for instance.

But seriously, we do need teachers who use good English, with or without an accent, to teach our kids and we need teachers who speak English correctly to teach that subject.

This is an OUTRAGE.

If this kind of thing isn't stopped RIGHT NOW, pretty soon teachers will be required to know something about MATH to be math teachers and to know how to read and write fluently in SPANISH to be Spanish teachers and to have formal training in and comprehension of basic science and the scientific method to teach science. And it won't stop there, either.

Gym teachers will have to know something about physical fitness.

And history teachers will have to have some underlying familiarity with history.

And much to the chagrin of President Obama, folks will have to actually comprehend the Constitution in order to "teach" it to law students as a guest lecturer.

I tell ya, this could easily get out of hand.

Last edited:
I believe that for any given class, there should be some sort of standard set for the instructors ~ a Job Description.

For an English teacher, it would include the ability to speak the language clearly,

just like, for a dance instructor, it would include the aptitude to dance well.

I happen to believe that if something is a Good Idea? It must pass the test of being a Good Idea in ALL (normal) situations,

and I'll be damned if I can think of a single situation that REQUIRING ALL teachers to Speak English Clearly, so that all of the students can understand what they're saying,

wouldn't be a Good Idea.

I has question:

Don't you need a license to teach ESL?

This provision seems pointless and/or redundant. Doesn't the school board make the determination if someone is capable of teaching ESL based on fulfilling the requirements of the license, and that it would--and should--then be student and parent complaints that drive the decision about how much the teacher's accent impedes the teaching?

If this provision allows for a Federal official to arbitrarily make that determination based on personal preferences rather than student and parent feedback, then this seems like a gross example of Federal overreach.

First of all lets all understand what happens when teachers join the union. They can basically forget all about being proficient in the subject they teach. Once someone complains about their lack of competence they run to their union rep and complain...the school gives in under threats from the union and it's business as usual. After a while the complaints stop and complacency ensues. In many cases teachers only need a TOEFL certificate to be english teachers. This is unacceptable.

This is an OUTRAGE.

If this kind of thing isn't stopped RIGHT NOW, pretty soon teachers will be required to know something about MATH to be math teachers and to know how to read and write fluently in SPANISH to be Spanish teachers and to have formal training in and comprehension of basic science and the scientific method to teach science. And it won't stop there, either.

And history teachers will have to have some underlying familiarity with history.

And much to the chagrin of President Obama, folks will have to actually comprehend the Constitution in order to "teach" it to law students as a guest lecturer.

when i was in high school they needed an Algebra teacher.....the Baseball Coach was drafted for this......we learned jack shit about Algebra,the guy was terrible....had to take it again in Summer School....had a REAL math teacher this time...

This is an OUTRAGE.

when i was in high school they needed an Algebra teacher.....the Baseball Coach was drafted for this......we learned jack shit about Algebra,the guy was terrible....had to take it again in Summer School....had a REAL math teacher this time...

My brother-in-law (RIP) was a highschool football coach but he was required to teach some other subject. Since somehow or other he managed to acquire a minor in math, he was drafted for 9th grade algebra. He didn't have a clue. So I, an 11th grader, made out his lesson plans and tests, and graded the papers. We made sure everybody passed. :)

I suppose we didn't do any lasting damage as years later one of those kids was hired to teach Math in the school where my brother-in-law was then a very successful superintendent of schools. Fortunately being a superintendent didn't require a lot of algebra.

Forum List

Back