English teachers now required to speak english fluently

George W Bush would not be able to teach because he speaks with an accent.

Nucular.

And Palin.

You betcha.

George W Bush would not be able to teach because he speaks with an accent.

Nucular.

And Palin.

You betcha.

That's why he ran for President...there is no requirement to be a competent english speaker in the quals for that job....smart move.:lol:

According to the audit conducted by AZ officials and FEDERAL LAW...NO.

Show me a federal law that says you cannot teach English if you have a heavy accent, or that you can't speak proper English if you have a heavy accent.
Does this law also apply to people who are English teaching in this country?

Show me a federal law that says you cannot teach English if you have a heavy accent, or that you can't speak proper English if you have a heavy accent.

Read the article I linked to..... NCLB clearly states this. It pertains to our public school teachers and applies to all 50 States...AZ has chosen to enforce it.

So if you have an accent you can't be fluent in english?
Tell that to people who live in the south.

Read the article. If the policy is in place why is not being enforced and why are you whining now that it is being enforced?

By the way? Simple fix, get the FED out of our schools, they have no Constitutional power to be there.

Read the article. If the policy is in place why is not being enforced and why are you whining now that it is being enforced?

By the way? Simple fix, get the FED out of our schools, they have no Constitutional power to be there.

The policy says they must be fluent in english, it says nothing about having an accent. ;)
And if Thomas Jefferson and other founding father's wanted the fed out of schools they wouldn't have written certain Land Ordinances, and got involved in education in this country.

The policy says they must be fluent in english, it says nothing about having an accent. ;)
And if Thomas Jefferson and other founding father's wanted the fed out of schools they wouldn't have written certain Land Ordinances, and got involved in education in this country.

Instead of glossing over the question answer this please....
Is speaking "flied lice" proper english for speaking the term "fried rice" when teaching a NON ENLGISH SPEAKING ALIEN?

Last edited:
Why this is even controversial and worthy of discussion is beyond me. Yes, of course, speaking English well should definitely be a requirement for teaching English. I'm personally disgusted with some of the grammar that comes out of the mouth of some teachers. And, if you are going to be teaching English, then that subject should be your specialty.

Your grammar should be excellent and your pronunciation should be proper. If you have an accent, it had better be charmingly light, not thick and difficult to understand.

I personally think that every teacher should have superb grammar. But a university degree these days is so dumbed down that they graduate people who speak as if they grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. I've spoken to professionals who use double negatives, and no one seems to have taught anyone that 'good' is an adjective and 'well' an adverb. I'm sick of it!

Last edited:
Notice the dodging of my question....I guess according to some having an accent and improperly pronouncing english words doesn't equate in any way to FLUENCY in english...:booze:

If you don't understand the concept of diction,

then every dictionary that is operating online and offering examples of the SPOKEN WORDS

is just full of spit.

Spelling AND ennunciation COUNT, folks.

Yeah. It's like THAT.

A flippin' STANDARD is how we insure that, despite any regional accents, ALL of the peoples of a nation are speaking the same freakin' language!

Cripes.

If you don't understand the concept of diction,

then every dictionary that is operating online and offering examples of the SPOKEN WORDS

is just full of spit.

Spelling AND ennunciation COUNT, folks.

Yeah. It's like THAT.

A flippin' STANDARD is how we insure that, despite any regional accents, ALL of the peoples of a nation are speaking the same freakin' language!

Cripes.

It's all about assimilation into American society and being competent in the language of our country. When you are teaching children english you MUST be FLUENT and speak with proper pronunciation, use proper context and be UNDERSTANDABLE!!!

Last edited:

Your failure to comprehend what constitutes fluency in engish is astounding....especiay since you live here. Read the law.
Please read the law?
What good is it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW7mOaPnYYA]YouTube - Congressman John Conyers: "Why Read The Bill?"[/ame]

This is Arizona. Not the feds.

It applies to all people with heavy "FOREIGN" accents that have trouble pronouncing many english words.

Forum List

Back