English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Banned
I'm assuming you knew what he meant? We take English in high school, and we speak English. It has nothing to do with what country a person is in or from.

Sí, sí, el español debe ser nuestro idioma oficial, pero esto no significa que no debemos aprender otros idiomas.
:eusa_whistle:

He actually said that it should be the official language of the United States government...which I assume is directed at bilingual education. There is definitely an argument to be made that it compels people to assimilate more quickly, but not sure if it needs to be "official".

official language flies in the face of freedom of speech. No it isn't what Gingrich meant...and Gingrich shouldn't be on any platform with his corrupt foolishness he needs to be hiding in a closet somewhere.

He actually said that it should be the official language of the United States government...which I assume is directed at bilingual education. There is definitely an argument to be made that it compels people to assimilate more quickly, but not sure if it needs to be "official".

That helps. Until I get a chance to actually watch the debates this weekend, I'm a bit short on facts.

official language flies in the face of freedom of speech. No it isn't what Gingrich meant...and Gingrich shouldn't be on any platform with his corrupt foolishness he needs to be hiding in a closet somewhere.

:cuckoo:

I agree. WTF has language to do with freedom of speech? Look xchel, You have the freedom to say what you want, in what ever language you choose, but if you say it in Spanish and no one gives a shit, no one will care.

Not that anyone cares when you you type in English...

No. Not English.

I've been to England and they talk funny. If we're going to have an official language, it should be 'American'.

Possibly directed at government paperwork... IRS forms & stuff.

American English would be a good official language.

British (aka "The Queen's" English) would be far too difficult for even a liberal with a so-called master's degree to comprehend.

OK, maybe with a hint of Ebonics just so we're not considered racist.

Forum List

Back