English Premier League and La Liga Football

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Andaluz, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Andaluz

Andaluz Please lick me!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Okay, this is an American forum, but I can't believe there aren't many people here that aren't interested in the Beautiful Game, and it doesn't come more beautiful than that of my native country, England and my adopted country Spain.

Here's a thread to discuss it all.

My adopted Spanish heroes of FC Barcelona thrashed out a tough 2-2 draw with the evil Real Madrid last night in the first leg of the Supercopa. Any thoughts? I thought that class eventually told. Real were organised, determined and very motivated, the opposite of how Barca began the game. Nevertheless, Barca earned the draw through the genius of Messi and despite some worrying defensive frailties, especially the nightmare performance of Mascherano.

Tonight, my beloved of 42 years, Manchester City began their first real attempt at the English Premier League with a 4-0 destruction of new boys, Swansea City. Sergio Agüero, a club record signing scored two and made one and our hopes now are high and handsome. Is there anyone out there (who knows what they are talking about) who doubts that we wil be challenging United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool for that first championship title in...erm... 43 years?

All matters footballistic can be brought up here, apart from anything to do with that Gridiron nonesense you call football, but in which about 2 people ever touch the ball with their foot.

2. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Chelski and the Sheikhs buying up the English clubs is a distortion in fair-play. Unbelievable how much they pump into the Clubs.
    Paris Saint-German was also bought by Arab investors and they've spent the most in this summer's transfer-period.

Between English and Spanish league I prefer Spanish league (more quality+more local identification as these are real city clubs and not some foreign investor's toys) although Barca and Real are heavily in debt. Sanchis and Fabregas were very good transfers for Barca.

But best league is German Bundesliga. German Football Federation is the richest in the world and in last years they've invested millions into youth-development. Mourinho has spotted the trend with Khedira, Özil, Sahin...
    I watch some Spanish games once in a while, and this will now increase due to Arda Turan transfer to Atletico. He is best Turkish player together with Real's Sahin.
    Özil isn't "counted" as Turk because he has decided to play for Germany.

If you (Spanish) want to repeat your new national-team success, you have to beat German national team in EC and WC. Last week they beat Brazil 3:1 and are absolutely dominating the EC-qualification group.

I played soccer myself in my youth.

3. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,798
    ekrem, is süper lig still functional?

i lost track after the umpteenth match fixing scandal.

what a mess

4. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Yes, total mess.
    But it's sign of "rule of law" finally reaching every society aspect, the involved (including high-profile Club Presidents) will likely be sent to prison.
    We'll bounce back for the simple reason of demographics and every year being born more than 1 Million nappers.

We applied for EC venue 2016 which we unfortunately lost against France. Prime Minister has decided that Stadiums will be built and upgraded anyway.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,065
    My predictions for the Premiership this season;

1. Liverpool FC
    2. ????????

20. Manchester United.

YNWA!

6. L.K.Eder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,798
    2. will be QPR

7. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,511
    There's nothing "beautiful" about watching a band of glass-knee'd, grossly overpaid halfwits kicking a ball around a field with little or no action in between. It's boring beyond belief and I'd rather pay to watch my own toe nails grow than endure 90 minutes of abject tedium.

Rugby's where the real action's at. Blood, sweat and the very real threat of paralysis. Yup, I'll take that over oikball any day of the week.

8. ginscpy

ginscpy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If England is so great in soccer - how come they stunk up the World Cup the last time -and havent won the thing since 1966?

9. L.K.Eder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,798

it's because they just buy french, brazilian, dutch and argentinians to play in the clubs. and they don't have a goalkeeper worth anything.

oh, and they were totally demolished by the young german team in south africa.

awesome.

10. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,511
    And they say that chivalry's dead, eh, L. K. Eder...